1994 Cobra front strut replacement now pop noise over bumps

RJDCobra

Reaction score
just like what the title says. i put tokico blues all the way around along with steeda c.c. plates, i noticed when going over bumps there is a poping type noise on the rebound after contact with bump on the passenger front strut tower area. the driver side will make the same noise but you really have to hit the bump hard for it to act up.
i'm pretty sure it's coming front the factory plastic strut Boot/cover i put on the new struts.
has any one had an issue like this? Does anyone not run the factory boot/cover. is it a must? its not my daily driver and never see's rain etc

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
the dust cover shouldnt be a problem... and if it is, it should make the noise on the up stroke, not the down stroke... (am i understanding where the sound occures correctly? its after you hit the bump and teh shocks/struts should be decompressing?)

i would check your CC plates, make sure they are secure. I would also see if you forgot to tighten something simple, such as your strut tower brace. finally, i would inspect your control arm bolts. All of these things should take you 20 minutes total to inspect. after that im leaning more torwards a ball joint problem (IMHO.)

does the sound occure any other time? are your struts fastened securing at the bottom end? are your calipers TQed down? sway bar bolted to the fram okay? sway bar broken or bent? sway bar end links broken or bent?

did you keep your spring isos?

OP
OP
R

RJDCobra

Reaction score
that is correct, the noise is mostly when the wheels drop off lets say a uneven parts in the road. (the suspension is expanded\unloaded not compressed). the reason i say the boot is I'm tracing it from that area. (bottom of strut tower area). it has steeda x2 balljoints that were installed early this summer along with steeda poly control arm bushings but it wasnt until i installed my struts(back in august) this noise started.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
cut them off with tin snips. no dust covers = no noise from dust covers. that will rule that out. :p

DFG_magic

Reaction score
How low is the car? I see you are using the Steeda X2 balljoints which will no doubt drop an SN95 alone. If the car is too low and you are running SN95 fitment struts, you may be overextending them. Maxing them out causing the noise. If this is the case, the fix will be a shorter strut (foxbody fitment) or a more expensive SN95 fitment strut, (Tokico 5 ways, Koni adjustables, etc). Basically you need something that will dampen correctly for your ride height. It may just be the dust cover assemblies like Chris said, but i've heard the exact noises on SN95's dropped low without the correct damper setup.

OP
OP
R

RJDCobra

Reaction score
It has sportlines with poly spring iso's(which are dam near lift kits) and the steeda ball joints with no spcers. its not that low at all really. I can put 3 fingers between bottom of front fender and top of 18 inch rimed tires. bout at least an inch higher in the front of your car in your sig.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online