Looking into coilovers, Questions!

det_riot

Reaction score
Its almost Christmas time so time to buy some nice things for myself! I've been looking into coilovers and have a couple questions/opinions to guys currently running them. What manufacturers are out there other than upr and mm? What spring rates are you guys running in the front and rear? How well are they helping you hook up?

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
griggs is the only other company i know off the top of my head
along with QA1 (or whatever it is... lol)

El_Diablo

Reaction score
i just ordered my granatelli k member on sunday and decided to go with the 300lb springs, not crazy stiff, still streetable but definitely more for the corner carver

GTStang98

Reaction score
i have an AJE k-member and granatelli coil-overs. 300 lb springs, i like it a lot. get a caster/camber kit when you get the coilovers. it makes things much much easier.

BruhBrahBrad

Reaction score
About how much, does it cost to put coilovers on the front of my stang?

OP
OP
det_riot

det_riot

Reaction score
Average prices would be about 200- 250 if you already have upgraded struts.

NERD

Reaction score
There's TWO types of Coil overs. There's the type that REUSE the stock strut with a threaded sleave and then there is the complete unit QA1 style. The QA1 style is by far the best. I have the first type on my car and I hate the squeaks and feel of them. First chance we get, we're spending the $500 to buy the real thing.

OP
OP
det_riot

det_riot

Reaction score
Where can you get the said qa1 style from? Are the complete units for the front and the year? So far I've only found the complete units for the rear except for Eibachs and KW which run about $1500+

OP
OP
det_riot

det_riot

Reaction score
Link? I know QA-1 is a brand. Just having issues finding them online anywhere.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
There are a few things to consider when you're doing a coil-over conversion.

1. Shock/Struts: if you're going much stiffer than what you have right now, you better make sure that the shock or strut you are planning on using will be able to keep up. Most of the cheapo shocks are usually not very good at over 700 lbs spring (200 lbs Coil-over rate), so if you go stiffer than that on a Tokiko HP series for example, you will likely have a bouncy and uncomfortable ride.

2. Manufacturer: While all coil-over kits are equal in theory, some are more equal than others. Stuff manufactured by companies that have major profile in motorsport is usually better built, has higher quality components, and will fit better. Companies such as Agent 47, Griggs Racing, and Maximum Motorsports are just a few. Try to avoid stuff that made in China, materials are cheaper, possibility of service is unlikely, and fitment will probably suck.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
sxynerd said:
There's TWO types of Coil overs. There's the type that REUSE the stock strut with a threaded sleave and then there is the complete unit QA1 style. The QA1 style is by far the best. I have the first type on my car and I hate the squeaks and feel of them. First chance we get, we're spending the $500 to buy the real thing.

THoes are 14" 175# springs the ones in the box next to the pic are 12" 150# and they are afco
dsc01988a.jpg

OP
OP
det_riot

det_riot

Reaction score
sxynerd, got a link for them? I can't find them together as a whole unit, only as the sleeves for the front.

cntchds

Reaction score
95_5.0@15 said:
Lol are sensatracs a upgraded shock/strut? I got 4 of those.

No.

By upgraded he means something like Bilsteins or Konis. I hate to be brand biased, but for most people those are the epitome of what is out there. Of course there is always something better, or something that works better for a certain set-up, but if someone were to ask me "what's the best set of dampers for my Mustang" Bilsteins or Konis would be my reply.

As for QA1, I like to think that when a brand is mentioned 0 times on Corner-Carvers, not to look twice at it. ;)

Jetsetter

Reaction score
I'm running Eibach Pro-Street coilovers which are a complete unit for the front. The rears have an adjustable spring perch. They took a big hit into a curb and still work, and for being a streetable track car I'm very satisfied.

OP
OP
det_riot

det_riot

Reaction score
While running the eibach pro-street system, what else did you buy with these? c/c plates, bumpsteer, anything else?

Jetsetter

Reaction score
I put on MM C/C plates at the same time. I also had to buy two sleeves from Eibach for the strut as the ones with the MM plates didn't work.

Jetsetter

Reaction score
Yes that was the kit. I don't have the part number from Eibach as thats lost in the mess of paperwork that is my desk. Do realize that you will hurt your spine with the ride quality on those things though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online