brake Pad only grabbing outside of rotor?

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Just put a new caliper on and it seems like the pad is only grabbing the outside of the rotor...

If I look at the rotor I can see 1/2-3/4 of an inch rusted ring where the pad is not grabbing.

Any idea what would cause this to happen?

NERD

Reaction score
Air in the lines & of course a faulty caliper. Try bleeding it again and see it helps out.

OP
OP
J

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
sxynerd said:
Air in the lines & of course a faulty caliper. Try bleeding it again and see it helps out.

Ive bled these things like 3 times...

these calipers are garbage man...

one was permanently locked up.

now this one is like cockeyed...wtf

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
justinschmidt1 said:
sxynerd said:

Ive bled these things like 3 times...

these calipers are garbage man...

one was permanently locked up.

now this one is like cockeyed...wtf

i was going to say maybe one is locked up. I had the same problem on my V6's caliper back in the day.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
98gt said:
have you checked the sliders?

+1 Check the slide pins. I always put a healthy coating of antiseize on them when i do a set of brakes. You might also have to reload the calipers and get a rebuild kit.

OP
OP
J

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Win said:
98gt said:

+1 Check the slide pins. I always put a healthy coating of antiseize on them when i do a set of brakes. You might also have to reload the calipers and get a rebuild kit.

Its a brand new caliper.

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score
justinschmidt1 said:
Win said:
98gt said:

Its a brand new caliper.

It's junk then.. If you have properly bled them, and they are not touching on the inside, then the caliper is not extending out of its bore.
If anything, your inside pad should wear slightly more than your outside, but it sounds like you have a bad caliper. These were 100% new, not reman?

OP
OP
J

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
2slo95fiveoh said:
justinschmidt1 said:
Win said:
98gt said:

Its a brand new caliper.

It's junk then.. If you have properly bled them, and they are not touching on the inside, then the caliper is not extending out of its bore.
If anything, your inside pad should wear slightly more than your outside, but it sounds like you have a bad caliper. These were 100% new, not reman?

Its not wearing only the inside or outside pad...

if you were to look at my rotor from the outside if the car, half the rotor is orange like only half of the outer pad is touching the rotor.

and its a reman PBR unit

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score
ok... I would take your caliper off the anchor, make sure your caliper slides are well lubricated (as well as the portion of the anchor where
the pads rest), then depress the caliper piston all the way in. I'm not doubting your install, but I've seen improperly installed brake pads
only touching the rotor in a 1/2" space or so.. If it goes too long it can build up excessive heat and cause the rotor to warp.

OP
OP
J

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
2slo95fiveoh said:
ok... I would take your caliper off the anchor, make sure your caliper slides are well lubricated (as well as the portion of the anchor where
the pads rest), then depress the caliper piston all the way in. I'm not doubting your install, but I've seen improperly installed brake pads
only touching the rotor in a 1/2" space or so.. If it goes too long it can build up excessive heat and cause the rotor to warp.

Im gonna pull it off and take a look at it.

The pad has to be in the right spot for it to even work and ive done brakes many of times.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
justinschmidt1 said:
Win said:
98gt said:

Its a brand new caliper.

Just because it's a brand new REMAN caliper doesn't mean the slide pins weren't lubed properly.

also being a reman could also mean it wasn't rebuilt properly by the company that did it. It sounds like the caliper itself needs to be rebuilt again. I personally would take it back to where i got it and get it switched out.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
OnyxCobra said:
i mean did you maybe put the pad that was on the outside on the inside and vice versa?

Unless he had the pads already seated, then took it all apart and accidentally switched sides then maybe. But normally you can just take out a pad and slap it in the caliper.

NERD

Reaction score
My 03 was doing the same thing. I just upgraded to Cobra brakes. (Well actually they're still in the box waiting to PC'ing.)

OP
OP
J

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
sxynerd said:
My 03 was doing the same thing. I just upgraded to Cobra brakes. (Well actually they're still in the box waiting to PC'ing.)

weird...it doesnt even make sense for it to do that.

I cant understand how its even possible for there to be uneven pressure on that side of the pad.

NERD

Reaction score
Me either. Wait for it to start locking up while you're driving, lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online