squeaky suspension help

mppaintball

Reaction score
so my car as had a squeaky suspension forever, but never got around to fixing it. It is in the front drivers side. It used to go away when it rains, and would stay away for a day or so, which worked out because i live in Washington where it rains 8 months out of the year, so it would go away during the rainy season. Well it will still go away when it rains a lot, but it doesn't do it nearly as well, and it will come back much sooner.

Sometimes when I am breaking i hear a pop from the front drivers side which could be from the ball joint maybe? Could that be what is causing the very annoying squeak? I was told it was the bushing, but i have no clue which bushing it is coming from, and all the ones i can see seem to be fine, and not all cracked or anything. So what is something i could do to figure out what it is? Also are there any guides that tell you how to take apart the suspension? Maybe with pictures?

blkpitbull

Reaction score
I too have a sqeaky suspension. Ive got a 95 gt, lowered and over a rough parking lot it sqeaks like a mother***** while moving slow!!! As the suspension travels alittle bit up and down, I can stand on the door sill and bounce it and it is terrible. Ive lubed the bushings that I see, but anyone else have a similar problem????
thanks!

Crone

Reaction score
Check your outer tie rod end for play. If it has a grease fitting on it put some grease in it, If not get a new one. That should take care of it.

Slykin

Reaction score
My vert had a realllly bad creak/squeak that was because of my passenger side ball joint. But it could definitely be what Crone said. The only different thing about mine was that rain made it 10x worse.

96gtchinook

Reaction score
ball joints.... they squeak like crazy then one sharp turn later your car is slammed to the ground in a bad way. good insurance to change them out anyway. cost very little and you can rent the tool from your local autostore

P51CrazyHorse

Reaction score
Also check your sway-bar end links. The bushings on those tend to squeak at times too. I had a '90 LX notchback that did it bad, changed both front end links and never had the issue again.

95PGTTech

Reaction score
OP: jack up the front suspension, and put jack stands under the subframes so the suspension hangs down but the wheels are off the ground. hold hands on front wheel at 6 and 12 oclock. shake, is there any play. now 3 and 9 oclock. any play? repeat for other wheel.

6-12 play indicates bad ball joint. 3-9 indicates steering (inner or outer tie rod, rack bushings). play both ways is wheel bearing. once you find play, you need to have a friend do the manipulating and get under the car and look and visually verify the play.

if you have none, but still noise, click while turning, check the front sway bar endlinks for play. if still noise, it is a upper strut mount/strut/spring/isolator issue. you can isolate it further by putting the car back on the ground and pushing up and down on the fender above the wheel multiple times to simulate a bump. if you have the noise, it is most likely spring/shock/isolator. if you do not, yet still only have it on turning, upper strut mount (or CC plate as the aftermarket knows it). if you have aftermarket CC plates with spherical bearings, understand that some noise over bumps and during turns is expected

note: these diagnostics are specific to a strut type front suspension such as the mustang (single control arm-lower, seperate spring/shock)

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Great advice right there. :thumbsup:

95PGTTech said:
OP: jack up the front suspension, and put jack stands under the subframes so the suspension hangs down but the wheels are off the ground. hold hands on front wheel at 6 and 12 oclock. shake, is there any play. now 3 and 9 oclock. any play? repeat for other wheel.

6-12 play indicates bad ball joint. 3-9 indicates steering (inner or outer tie rod, rack bushings). play both ways is wheel bearing. once you find play, you need to have a friend do the manipulating and get under the car and look and visually verify the play.

if you have none, but still noise, click while turning, check the front sway bar endlinks for play. if still noise, it is a upper strut mount/strut/spring/isolator issue. you can isolate it further by putting the car back on the ground and pushing up and down on the fender above the wheel multiple times to simulate a bump. if you have the noise, it is most likely spring/shock/isolator. if you do not, yet still only have it on turning, upper strut mount (or CC plate as the aftermarket knows it). if you have aftermarket CC plates with spherical bearings, understand that some noise over bumps and during turns is expected

note: these diagnostics are specific to a strut type front suspension such as the mustang (single control arm-lower, seperate spring/shock)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online