Clunking sound from the front end of my GT

BullitSN95

Reaction score
Hey guys..So i got this problem.. it basically sounds like a bad strut mount on both sides of the front..I hit bumps i hear it.. its almost like something is loose in the front... I almost sounds like its coming from the cowl panel.. But sound can travel.. The car has under 4k on the eibach springs/KYB strut combo... the car came with HPR Caster / Camber plates on it.. everything seems tight but this noise wont go away... Any Ideas???

Slykin

Reaction score
Well.. if I was a good mechanic i'd tell you something useful. My only suggestion is duct tape, some DW-40 and a hammer. You can't go wrong with the three universal tools haha.

bwu04

Reaction score
I am having the same issue on my 04 MACH 1. I just bought it week and half ago and it sounds like everything is going to fall out from under the front end when on rough road. Out on highway it is good and no sounds. The car has been lowered and i honestly have no ideal what or how it was done. I am now attempting to contact the original owner ( bought the MACH thru Lexus dealer, it was traded in) to see what was done. The car sure handles really good but i don't want to damage anything either, i really like this car. I have just got to the Mustabg cars , my recent toys have all been Ford Lightnings ( had 3 in all ) . If you happen to find out anything, by all means share the information.

GDTrumbo

Reaction score
I have heard noise complaints after a new set of more inexpensive CC plates were installed. Usually it's an installation issue at the strut/CC plate connection rather than at the connection of the CC plate to the chassis. I know things are seemingly tight everywhere but it is deceiving, as there is a bit of pressure where the strut connects to the CC plate.

Do both sides do it? A spacer missing? KYB's may need a special bushing for those plates. Check real close there for anything that looks out of sorts. You might need to have someone jounce the car while you watch it. A better set of plates may be necessary.

You might call KYB or/and HPR's tech lines for fitment questions or recommendations for this particular fitment combo.

Good Luck.

GT

2kblacksleeper

Reaction score
I've had the clunk your talking about and the results for my car was bad lower ball joints.
Up on the lift there was Not much play at all but once my mechanic tested them with the most of the weight of the car on them, that's where they revealed themselves.
Maybe yours is the same. Although I've also got worn out struts that I'm replacing also.

John

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
where your car may be fairly stock check out the sway bar links and bushings, those can get pretty beat up in our area, salt and sand can harden the bushings also they are tempurature sensitive and they can sound pretty horrible at times....

95PGTTech

Reaction score
noise over bumps:

with car on ground, jounce on front fender. works even better with one hand pulling up the wheel well and one pushing down. noise still present? spring/shock/mount issue.

jack car up. use prybar to manipulate sway bar endlinks. play? do the same with the lower control arm bushings. put hands on wheel at 6 and 12 oclock positions and manipulate. slight play? this would indicate bad balljoint (lower)...or, if you also have play 3-9, bad wheel bearing/hub assembly. visually inspect lower ball joint for tears or contamination.

if all that is good, go back to your spring/strut/CC plate. does the spring have both isos on it? are they in good shape? is it properly clocked? broken coils?

the car will be supported just fine with just the spring. remove the shock from the vehicle. jounce again. noise not there any more? then it is a shock/ CC plate issue. if noise is still present, keep looking at the spring. if noise went away, inspect shock off the car. is it hard to compress, and come back quickly? is it leaking.

reprint the CC plate install instructions and verify correct installation.

note: if you can't find it, see if someone has some stock strut mounts for a test. honestly, even the "high brands" like MM are going to have some noise issues because you are replacing the rubber upper strut bushing with a spherical bearing. mine has had these since day one, I've tried it a million times, it drives me nuts. that's why the CC plates work so well, because they positively locate the strut with the bearing, they don't allow slight play like a bushing does, but there is always a trade off.

hope that helps.
don't make assumptions.
don't skip steps.
diagnose first, then replace parts.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
My car was making some awful popping noises from the front end...i assumed it was ball joints so i swapped in some 03/04 cobra arms and havent had any of the shitty popping noises since.

I would swap to cobra a arms if i were you with some lower mileage balljoints

95PGTTech

Reaction score
Diagnose, then replace. This is the difference between mechanics and technicians. It is also significantly cheaper, takes less time, and is far more satisfying.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online