Flamming River inner tie rod boot

gumby5.0

Reaction score
I installed a manual rack about 5 months ago and have driven it maybe 30 miles since then due to money problems etc. I got under the car today just to check a few things out and noticed my drivers side inner tie rod boot all jacked up. What could cause this? Shitty work at the alignment shop? Bad rack? Any ideas?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

gumby5.0

Reaction score
470be55f-f6bc-f7c2.jpg

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
that critter looks like it was rotating.... does your tie rod rotate with the wheel??

det_riot

Reaction score
what happened is when you got it aligned (if you did) when adjusting the toe on the car, they spun the tie rod and didnt unspin the boot. mine did this when i got it aligned and i was just lazy about respinning it, so it just ripped.

OP
OP
G

gumby5.0

Reaction score
Yea I got it aligned at a goodyear. I called them up yesterday and was told they don't touch the inner tie rod.... I knew they where full of crap.

det_riot

Reaction score
you can see in the pic where the clamp is off, but that sleeve didnt move. so instead of trying to unseat the sleeve from the tie rod to spin it right, they just left it.

OP
OP
G

gumby5.0

Reaction score
I took the clamp off just before taking the pic. I tried to straighten out but I failed

det_riot

Reaction score
ooo, well they probably did the same thing, thats what i did. i tried spinning it but couldnt get it to move at all. can you try spinning it on the rack itself?

OP
OP
G

gumby5.0

Reaction score
ooo, well they probably did the same thing, thats what i did. i tried spinning it but couldnt get it to move at all. can you try spinning it on the rack itself?

I tried with no luck. I'm just gonna buy a new boot and put it on. Goodyear wont admit that they made a mistake, so whatever.

Rice_slayer

Reaction score
Yea I got it aligned at a goodyear. I called them up yesterday and was told they don't touch the inner tie rod.... I knew they where full of crap.

That right there is serious bullsh*t. I do alignments on cars every now and then, you SPIN the inner tie rod with your pliers to adjust the toe lol. That's why you can't do an alignment with seized inners.

94 DropTop

Reaction score
I would put a new one on and take it back to them and tell them you want to see how they adjusted the toe without doing anything to the inner. I would send that shit in to their corporate office and bitch.

1997gtRioRed

Reaction score
thats weird. i have done tons of alignments and never undone a boot and that has never happened to me, they always slide without twisting up like that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrowdKiller

Members online