Suspension Help : With Video

pilks

Reaction score
1998 Mustang GT Coupe. 41,000 miles. I have maximum motor sports caster camber plates, H&R Super Sport Springs and Bilsteins. I have a front end squeak when turning my wheels. I think it may be the ball joints. Any help is appreciated, video below
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-ClA2pTthE

9838stang

Reaction score
Sounds like your tie rod ends, or you ball joint might have the boot cut on them and there is no grease? or you steering rack is going out

MadStang

Reaction score
I know that squeak anywhere. Your Tie Rods are shot my good sir. I highly recommend purchasing the Bumpsteer kit from Maximum Motorsports to fix the problem. The spherical ends of the MM tie rod ends are a much better quality!

cac75c5d.jpg

7f13a7ea.jpg

1e3a1b25.jpg

16dd585b.jpg

Slykin

Reaction score
Definitely doesn't sound like my balljoints when they went out. I'd trust Madstang on this.

Slykin

Reaction score
Oh, and Madstang, how much do those tie rods cost? I'm probably going to be replacing inners/outers pretty soon and those are sexy... plus MM makes good stuff. My car is a DD and i'm wondering if this would be a better option than Moog as far as cost/durability etc.

MadStang

Reaction score
Ha, tapered stud. What a pussy :D

Haha, my car is a DD, i needed it back on the road ASAP when my oem ones took a dump!

Oh, and Madstang, how much do those tie rods cost? I'm probably going to be replacing inners/outers pretty soon and those are sexy... plus MM makes good stuff. My car is a DD and i'm wondering if this would be a better option than Moog as far as cost/durability etc.

IIRC it was $150? Well worth it IMO. One thing i noticed immediately was how the steering was much more tight but also slightly heavier which actually provides better feedback to me at least.

Slykin

Reaction score
How hard was it to figure out the bumpsteer corrections(can a normal alignment shop do that?) and where do you find replacement rod ends for that kit?

MadStang

Reaction score
How hard was it to figure out the bumpsteer corrections(can a normal alignment shop do that?) and where do you find replacement rod ends for that kit?

not something a normal alignment shop can do. I ordered the bumpsteer gauge tool from MM with it for $120 and set it up myself.

As for replacement rod ends I doubt you'd ever need to replace them honestly, the tie rod ends are extremely durable due to the spherical joint.

Slykin

Reaction score
Hmm, thanks man. I think i'll just wait till I have a bit more cash. The kit plus the gauge is out of my range right about now.

And OP, sorry for the derailment of your thread.

BLCKSTNG96

Reaction score
From the vid its hard to tell,it sounds more like a power steering sound then squeak but could just be the vid.if u wanna come by my shop,we can check it out man,give me a call if ya want.

Justang

Reaction score
My squeak sounds quite similar to this one. It happens most of the time when steering, but it is much more prominent during compression/rebound. On warm days, it seems to vanish. I crawled under the car and tried to track it down, but it echos and vibrates a bit too much to nail down the culprit. Sound like the same problem as the OP?

MadStang

Reaction score
My squeak sounds quite similar to this one. It happens most of the time when steering, but it is much more prominent during compression/rebound. On warm days, it seems to vanish. I crawled under the car and tried to track it down, but it echos and vibrates a bit too much to nail down the culprit. Sound like the same problem as the OP?

yup, i originally thought it was a ball joint on mine when it i could hear it by shaking the left front of my car from the fender making the shock compress and rebound. took the wheel off, got a stethoscope on it and isolated it to the tie rod end squealing because as you said it echos a bit. Replaced the tie rod ends and no sounds or problems since.

Justang

Reaction score
Perhaps I'll take the wheel off and try to narrow it down like that. Thanks for the insight Brett.

yup, i originally thought it was a ball joint on mine when it i could hear it by shaking the left front of my car from the fender making the shock compress and rebound. took the wheel off, got a stethoscope on it and isolated it to the tie rod end squealing because as you said it echos a bit. Replaced the tie rod ends and no sounds or problems since.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online