1994 Cobra IRS conversion

93blucoupe

Reaction score
This will be the first major mod to my 94 Cobra. I will be pulling the complete solid axle setup tomorrow and will post some pics before I start to give before and after pics. The IRS unit I'm picking up is out of a 99 Cobra and will be upgraded as my budget allows. Here's a pic of how the car sits, I'll post some rear shots of the SRA before I take it out and try to keep this updated for anyone looking to do the IRS swap.
1311223600.jpg

IMAG0254.jpg

sun tzu

Reaction score
Awesome!! You're gonna love how it eliminates the solid diff wiggle and you're wheels will sit out further allowing for a nicer stance :)

Gallows

Reaction score
How many miles on your Cobra and on the IRS? I am also putting an IRS out of a 99 in my Cobra but all of the bushings are shot so they will be replaced first but it already has 31 spline axles/carrier.

OP
OP

93blucoupe

Reaction score
The 94 has 120k and I think the IRS has around 80k. The subframe bushings will be replaced before installation and the rest as money allows. I pulled the SRA this morning, actually came out pretty easy. Here's a couple pics of the rear with the 1.25" spacers removed before I pulled the SRA and all attaching parts. I'll be picking up the IRS and new exhaust next week but won't get a chance to do anything until the weekend after Christmas.
fe953609.jpg

40d88101.jpg

c9811735.jpg

347298a9.jpg

CompOrangeSN95

Reaction score
nice progress. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Side note, can I see more of that buggy?

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Nice I wanted to do this to my car this season but changed plans as I have about 3 grand in my rear end and it should work great in the x275 class. Can't wait to see the finished results

OP
OP

93blucoupe

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments. Comporange here's a couple of the buggy, it's been in restoration for going on 7 years, I'll finish it someday
8ed1116d.jpg

dcb8973c.jpg

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score
before shoveling the rear under the car, take a little time to remove some rust if it has any. once you get the irs under it, it'll be a biotch to clean. paint scraper and a wirewheel goes along way. by the looks of the buggy i dont have to give you much more hints.

OP
OP

93blucoupe

Reaction score
Just picked up the IRS, wound up getting a 2001 unit with springs and a IRS exhaust setup. I will post picks in a couple days or when it stops raining. Special thanks to Robbie at MPS auto salvage, if you need used parts he's the guy to see.

330CubeGt

Reaction score
Let me know if you run into any problems or have any questions im more then happy to share some pics or info if you need help :)

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
Very nice! I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this thread!

I've been debating about the IRS swap in my '95 Cobra. I talked to my uncle last night (who owns a 03 10th Anni Cobra) and he said to stay SRA. Jay Tucker from JLT, his shop is local to us and he's a friend of the family and my uncle was saying that he did everything he could to the IRS and still had issues with wheel hop and stuff which is kind of making me rethink it. I'd really like to talk to someone in the chatroom here about it.

OP
OP

93blucoupe

Reaction score
330CubeGt, thank you for the offer I'll pm you later.
Brian95SVT, I guess it really depends on what your plans are for the car and what kind of driving you plan on doing. I have no plans on drag racing mine and drive it every day so a more comfortable and better handling ride works.

miss2slocoupe

Reaction score
that is a clean looking car! i like it alot! when you do your IRS swap and do the exhaust you are doing chrome pipes right?

OP
OP

93blucoupe

Reaction score
Miss2slocoupe, the exhaust setup I picked up has chrome tips and I'm going to polish the pipe back to the pumpkin.
The price for the IRS was $750 and depending on what is done to your SRA he will take it on trade.

OP
OP

93blucoupe

Reaction score
Short update, got the IRS off the trailer today after getting home yesterday with a sick 18 month old. Started pulling or rather drilling, scraping, burning and wire wheeling the old bushings out, hopefully finish this up tomorrow and post some pics. Still have to drop the gas tank and pull the old e-brake cables and abs wires for the new ones. Found out today that it will be next Thursday before my bushings from maximum motorsport come in so I have some unexpected time. Looks like I might have to move a couple fuel lines as theyre going to be in the way of the rear passenger side IRS mount.

OP
OP

93blucoupe

Reaction score
Got the rear IRS mounts in and was able to bend the fuel lines enough to get around the mount. I pulled the fuel tank, I could have put the IRS in without removing the tank but it will make things easier and it gives me a chance to replace the filler gasket. I started cutting the exhaust for the IRS setup but I'm going to wait until I have everything in the car to weld it together. Here's a pic of the rear pax side mount and the fuel line bent out of the way. I don't have the vertical bolts in yet in case I need to move the mounts a little. I'm still waiting on the bushings from mm and I have to work this weekend so it might be next week before I put the IRS in the car and start getting it back together.
9221f83c.jpg

95riosnake

Reaction score
This thread couldn't have come at a better time, I have been very seriously wanting to pull the trigger on doing this but all the little odds and ends and miscellaneous problems have me second guessing if I can pull it off before spring along with the other stuff I have going with the car.

I'll be interested to see how much your wheels move out with the IRS compared to the SRA. I am REALLY wanting to do an IRS but I don't want my rear wheels to end up sticking out, they're already pretty much dead even with the rear quarters.

How much of a PITA was it to get the old bushings out?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrowdKiller

Members online

No members online now.