Anyone running bilstein shocks/struts or "c" ford lowering springs?

BYEBYE2U

Reaction score
Hey everyone,i'm sorry to post all the questions but i'm still learning and you don't know till you ask so please bare with me and my questions LOL! does anyone run a set of bilstein shocks and struts? the 95 I just got has a fairly new set with "C" ford lowering springs and the ride is rough! i mean feel every bump rough and I can't deal with it.i've never used any of these shocks/struts and i'm wanting to know if this is just how they are or could it be my springs? I weigh 200 pounds and when I hit a bump I literly raise off the seat on a few of them about 1/4 -1/2 inch it feels like LOL! i've gotta do something different. thanks guys for the input and does these run in a 70/30 or 90/10 style like lakewoods do? thanks

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i have BILs on my 96. got them for $100.00 used off SVTPerformance. they ride pretty good from what i could tell on my test drive.

OP
OP
BYEBYE2U

BYEBYE2U

Reaction score
man,my car rides rough and i'm unsure what the source is forsure but i'd like to find it.you can even push on the front fender and the car has a "bounce back" feel to it but not like a set of bad struts would do. i've never had a mustang ride this way,even with cut coil springs. thanks for the input

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
Did you change your bumpstop? If you didn't that's probably your issue. It's riding on the bumpstop.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
if you get BILs you have to remove the external bumpstops, they have ones internally.

anyways, you can replace your pinion snubber for $20.00 and 10 minutes of time. that might make an easy fix, if bottoming out is your problem...

springs may take a few a little while to settle. be sure to use spring isolators, OEM rubber is best for "ride quality"

OP
OP
BYEBYE2U

BYEBYE2U

Reaction score
it was already lowered when I got it.what am i looking for? I don't mean to sound so dumb LOL! I never had this issue with my foxbodies so i'm learning again

OP
OP
BYEBYE2U

BYEBYE2U

Reaction score
it's not bottoming out,it just rides rough but it's springy/bouncy and it let's you feel every bump in the road and just bounces you around in the seat.you can push up and down on the front of the car and it's just bouncy even like that.weird,i've never had an issue like this before.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
no problemo, amigo. thats what we're here for...

your pinion snubber is located directly above your differencial. its just there to prevent your pumpkin from smashing into your trunk-floor.

spring isolators are the rubber parts used between the car's body and spring to add as a bushing to absorb vibrations. they are also hollow tubes that slide over the bottom of the spring on the a-arm side of the spring.

some people replace them with prothyne versions (what i did)
some people remove them and use duct/tape or electrical tape (to get a lower stance)
and some people remove them and dont put anything in between the a-arm and the spring, and the spring and the body.

here you can see the bottom one on my car. its a prothyne product and its the hollow tube that slides over the bottom of the spring

23395920296_original.jpg

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
hm. my car was noticablly more bouncy after i lowered it. i even ran tokico shocks/struts and still had problems.

Slykin

Reaction score
Sounds like blown struts to me... I have decent springs but i'm running stock struts that are blown and it is BOUNCY. Sounds like yours. The shock/strut is what dampens the back and forth bouncing. Or at least that's how I think of it.

OP
OP
BYEBYE2U

BYEBYE2U

Reaction score
thanks buddy,and now i remember what the snubber is because i've seen it while working on my cars in the past but just never had to mess with it.I was aware of what the isolators are as well.i'm going to remove mine to get it a little lower. thanks for the pic to!

OP
OP
BYEBYE2U

BYEBYE2U

Reaction score
a blown strut is more of an on going bounce when you hit a bump meaning it keeps bouncing a minute after you've left the bump LOL! this is a solid hit kike rubber to rubber rough bouce "the best way i can describe it" but it'll bring you off the seat a little LOL! have you ever passed a low rider on the hwy with air bags on t and watched how it bounced along not hard looking but you could see the driver's head bouncing around in the cockpit? well thats kinda how I feel like mine looks to folks while riding by.

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score
i <3 bilstein shocks. however, i do not have a large comparison to anything else except KYB OEM replacements.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txnszn

Members online

No members online now.