Got some kind of squeaking noise when I turn right

Photonfanatic

Reaction score
Got some kind of...squeakish, squeally noise when I turn to the right. Not sure what it is. I was hoping here would know that it was a symptom of a common problem or something. Oh 94 GT.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
only turn right? what about left? what about over bumps or dips? are you at full-turn on your steering wheel?

with just "makes sound when going left" narrows it down to: axle bearing, ball joint, steering rack, power steering pump, etc etc etc.. .. lol. help us out here amigo!

Slykin

Reaction score
If it's REALLY loud and happens all the time, including over bumps i'm going to bet on ball joints... Odd if it only does it turning right though.

xavier

Reaction score
If the sound is more like a rusted squeeking door, I just went through it. Pulling in to 7-11 parking lot you could see little kids putting there hands over there ears. First thing I replaced was ball joints, It needed the upgrade and rode smoother but wasnt where the sound was coming from, then replaced shocks, wanted to lower it anyway. It was still screaming, and none of the autoparts store make a stethoscope neither. Come to find out it was tie rods. They looked perfect, boots was in tack but greaseless. And more than likely if its coming from one side, someone probaly on replaced one of them in the past. Worth a try and not that expensive, and all the kids in the neihborhood thanked me. Also another way to know is if it is happening with the car off. Can you hear it then?

OP
OP
Photonfanatic

Photonfanatic

Reaction score
If the sound is more like a rusted squeeking door, I just went through it. Pulling in to 7-11 parking lot you could see little kids putting there hands over there ears. First thing I replaced was ball joints, It needed the upgrade and rode smoother but wasnt where the sound was coming from, then replaced shocks, wanted to lower it anyway. It was still screaming, and none of the autoparts store make a stethoscope neither. Come to find out it was tie rods. They looked perfect, boots was in tack but greaseless. And more than likely if its coming from one side, someone probaly on replaced one of them in the past. Worth a try and not that expensive, and all the kids in the neihborhood thanked me. Also another way to know is if it is happening with the car off. Can you hear it then?

Yeah its only when I turn right. And when I replaced the passenger side tie rod (with moog brand) when I got the car last summer, I only replaced the tie rod which was bad at the time. Seemed logical to me. The shocks are new bilstiens, so I'm pretty sure it isn't them making the noise. It doesn't seem to make the noise when I go over bumps, unless the bump causes the wheel to turn to the right slightly. And as for being at full turn of the steering wheel, no it will make the noise if you even just barely bump the steering wheel, when the car is running. I mean, if you just barely engage the steering. You can sit there and just barely turn it over and over, and it will begin the squeak every time.

Also musturd, which ball joints did you put on? If they made the car ride smoother, I'd like to get the same ones heh.

Sounds like a similar problem I have. Check out this thread: http://sn95forums.com/showthread.php?47941-Suspension-Help-With-Video[/QUOTE]

That's it. That's the sound. So if I'm turning right, it would have to be the driver's side tie rod then? Please don't let it be the passenger, which I replaced with moog only some months ago...

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
hm. interesting. did you properly greese everything upon installation? sounds alot like the same problem xavier had...

What i would do, if i were you:

jack up front end of car, turn wheels right and left and see if you can kinda figure out where its coming from...

Slykin

Reaction score
hm. interesting. did you properly greese everything upon installation? sounds alot like the same problem xavier had...

What i would do, if i were you:

jack up front end of car, turn wheels right and left and see if you can kinda figure out where its coming from...

+1. If it squeaks when it's up in the air(maybe, maybe not) it should be pretty easy to figure out where it's coming from.. Or you can at least eliminate where it's NOT coming from.

OP
OP
Photonfanatic

Photonfanatic

Reaction score
Ew I hope its not ball joints. Are they difficult to change on these cars? On my 87 Chevy silverado, GM decided it would be a good idea to rivet them in. Made for a nice bill cause I sure as hell didn't want to mess with all that.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ew I hope its not ball joints. Are they difficult to change on these cars? On my 87 Chevy silverado, GM decided it would be a good idea to rivet them in. Made for a nice bill cause I sure as hell didn't want to mess with all that.

well. ... SURPRISE! lol.

no rivits, but they are pressed in. you have to completely remove the A arm and take it to a shop for them to pull your old ones and press-fit your new ones.... :)

Slykin

Reaction score
Chris, you do NOT have to lol.. I always left the A-arms in and rented a press from Autozone. I'm pretty quick at it now! But yeah, it's a pain in the butt. I suggest giving yourself a weekend if it's your first time.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
"lol" makes it a "happy surprise" ... i yell "el oh el!" whenever i surprise-sex my woman... that way she cant be mad.... "i said 'el oh el, babe.'"

96GT02

Reaction score
what if it doesnt make a noise when its in the air?

Slykin

Reaction score
Probably nothing... it just means that there isn't as much load on the suspension parts.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
than you know its something that only makes noise when the suspension is loaded. rules out alot of things, shortens the list of possibilities.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Touch Red

Members online