complete suspension overhaul help.

copmagnet

Reaction score
I'm trying to do my own research before posting, but this one has me stumped.

I'm doing the suspension overhaul before I get a cobra motor, one because back issues, two, beings the roads here suck giant flacid donkey di......

this car will be a DD/ with occasional drag,autocross.

I was looking at the following parts.

option 1
eibach sportline or proline kit
J&M CC plates

option 2
tokico front and rear struts
H&R lowering springs
lower and upper control arms
steeda(or something) front and rear sway bars
J&M cc plates

MM says tokico is crap, but AM swears by them..are they any good?

I read through the suspension thread here and the OP said that CC plates are bad for daily drivers...?????? hm..? i'm stumped here

will I need a bumpsteer kit to go along with both options?

NOW onto my problem.

my front left tire has a negative...positive?(the top part of the tire leans in more then the bottom) camber. how do I fix this? I do not want to wear away my brand new 800$ tires.

sorry for the newbishness..I'm feeling very overwelmed by all this.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I run a bump steer kit on all 3 of my cars with caster camber plates. Second option seems better

OP
OP
C

copmagnet

Reaction score
It's also a little bit more expensive. and honestly, I'm all about budget performance. (I know, two words that should never be used together). the only real difference between the two is brand and price. both options include the same items.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
No control arms in the one kit that's the only reason I was leaning towards the second one

Slykin

Reaction score
Well, I don't know why anyone would consider CC plates bad for a DD unless you get cheapo ones. The MM CC plates are very nice pieces IMO.

You don't have to have a bumpsteer kit, though it is suggested if you want to do it right.

As for the camber issues(I believe that would be negative camber), the CC plates should fix that unless you somehow bent a strut. If you're not lowered right now you shouldn't have camber wear issues though. That would just mean your alignment is out.

I personally have never used Tokico, though they should be good, just maybe not "the best". I'd say Bilstein is at the top of the heap though. Unless this is going to be a regular road racer/autoX'r, tokicos should be fine...

Now someone else should chime in and confirm this lol... i'm a bit newbish here too, but I've done a good bit of research.

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
I'll be the first to say I'm not a suspension guru but heres my opinion:

For springs, either one of those options will work. Just depends on how low you want and also look at spring rates for comfort but to me, stance makes or breaks a car. The Tokico shocks from what I've heard are good shocks. I know a few people who run them and haven't complained. The problem is that each one of those events require different types of suspension settings. Since it's a DD that you might take to those events for fun, focus more on comfort than weight transfer.

I don't see how C&C plates can be bad for a daily driver. So if someone knows, please explain that one.

I agree with Kyle (Musturd) about the bumpersteer kit with C&C plates & that option 2 seems better.

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
I'm running MM C/C plates, and boy let me tell you! It's like leaping from 80's steering, into refined smooth German steering. I kid you not the plates make turning the wheel extremely smooth an accurate. I haven't had a problem, knock on wood, and they a fully adjustable to how you want it or MM settings. It took a while to get it dialed in because I have the steeda bumpsteer, new inner tie rods, mm c/c plates, and tokico hi-performance blues front and rear, but once it was dialed in (my alignment) the car is a lot more predictable. Now all I need is steed ball joint kit, and mm steering shaft it will definitely button up how the car handles. my 2cents.

Slykin

Reaction score
One other thing i'd like to mention is that the first time I took my vert to get aligned the alignment guy asked why I had CC plates if I already had "kit bolts"... Come to find out on my vert the previous owner had put in different bolts(smaller than the holes in the strut) in the strut/spindle so they could be adjusted there instead of at the CC plates. This made the CC plates unnecessary. Only problem with this is that they don't keep the alignment as easily, and mine got knocked out of alignment on a reallly big bump. Not sure i'd suggest this, but it's an option.

Slykin

Reaction score
I'm running MM C/C plates, and boy let me tell you! It's like leaping from 80's steering, into refined smooth German steering. I kid you not the plates make turning the wheel extremely smooth an accurate. I haven't had a problem, knock on wood, and they a fully adjustable to how you want it or MM settings. It took a while to get it dialed in because I have the steeda bumpsteer, new inner tie rods, mm c/c plates, and tokico hi-performance blues front and rear, but once it was dialed in (my alignment) the car is a lot more predictable. Now all I need is steed ball joint kit, and mm steering shaft it will definitely button up how the car handles. my 2cents.

The CC plates shouldn't affect how the car rides unless it gives you a better alignment setting than before...

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
The CC plates shouldn't affect how the car rides unless it gives you a better alignment setting than before...

Not how it rides, how smooth the action is when your turn the wheel left to right. I have an Audi Sport and upgrading the plates on my mustang made it feel from sluggish to precision steering like on the german cars, thats all.

MadStang

Reaction score
Not how it rides, how smooth the action is when your turn the wheel left to right. I have an Audi Sport and upgrading the plates on my mustang made it feel from sluggish to precision steering like on the german cars, thats all.

the cc plates don't reduce the sluggish feeling from the design by themselves. a dialed in alignment is what reduces the play/slop/sluggish feeling.

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
the cc plates don't reduce the sluggish feeling from the design by themselves. a dialed in alignment is what reduces the play/slop/sluggish feeling.

I know it doesn't do it by itself, the bumpsteer kit is big part of it as well, but they sure made my steering smooth and tight. Now, with the stock 3 point non-adjustable c/c plates that come on the car, the steering was SLOPPY, AND SLUGGISH. I dont care what anyone says. It was a night and day difference when I put them on my 17yr old suspension. /end.

MadStang

Reaction score
I know it doesn't do it by itself, the bumpsteer kit is big part of it as well, but they sure made my steering smooth and tight. Now, with the stock 3 point non-adjustable c/c plates that come on the car, the steering was SLOPPY, AND SLUGGISH. I dont care what anyone says. It was a night and day difference when I put them on my 17yr old suspension. /end.

did you do the bump steer kit and the c/c plates at the same time? if so that was the bumpsteer kit that tightened it up. Not denying that your steering got better because there are so many different factors of why, I'm just trying to advise you that c/c plates alone do not change steering feedback.

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
did you do the bump steer kit and the c/c plates at the same time? if so that was the bumpsteer kit that tightened it up. Not denying that your steering got better because there are so many different factors of why, I'm just trying to advise you that c/c plates alone do not change steering feedback.

Yes. I did it all at the same time. Now to seal the deal, I want needle bearing steering shaft, and steeda balljoints. Then I'll be winning like charlie sheen. I will never know if the C/C plates would make it better, maybe ever so slightly, but with that combination you can't go wrong.

Patin

Reaction score
Currently doing the same as you, I'm going with the full Eibach suspension kit. Pro kit, damper kit, and swaybar kit. MM CC plates, Cobra front LCA's, and a bumpsteer kit.

I may talk myself into rear control arms before I put the parts on. Will likely go with Team Z upper and lower arms and upper relocation bracket.

OP
OP
C

copmagnet

Reaction score
I just found a set of control arms on ebay..exact same kit as the one on AM, but 50$ less. I believe the package was like 115 on ebay and is on sale on am for 135 but is usually like 200? IIRC.

I think I may go eibach prokit, lower control arms, J&M CC plates, steeda bumpsteer, and to finish it off a nice BAMA performance decal for my window :p

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
That sticker will definitely help you with aerodymanics!! Ha. Just messin

Sounds like a good setup bud. I'm sure you'll really enjoy the new feel. Also if you can swing it look into some subframes.

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score
you will not be disappointed with this winning combo:

MM lcas for adjustability.
MM c/c plates
steeda bumpsteer kit.
Steeda sport springs.
bilstein shocks/struts
urethane bushings.

Latest posts

Forum statistics