Rear Blown Shocks

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
So im getting my rear shocks replaced. I was wondering can i add Fox Body shocks and be done with it. Also what year fox body do i ask for @ autozone. Im getting Monroe OTC shocks btw.. nothing fancy.

Just to be 100% sure. The rear doesn't have struts so all i need to do is replace my rear shocks with fox shocks. I dont need Rear struts right.

Last thing: Im 100% sure one of my rear shocks is blown. What else should i buy that might need replacing from constant bottoming out? Any rubber mounting bushings or anything i can buy.

Thanks.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
is there some special reason you would rather have the shocks made for the fox that I have never heard about? The suspension on mine is due to be changed this year..

OP
OP
T

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
is there some special reason you would rather have the shocks made for the fox that I have never heard about? The suspension on mine is due to be changed this year..

Its a internet thing i believe. Fox guys say use SN95 struts/shocks on foxes for a LOWERED mustang. Mainly because fox shocks/struts are shorter and allow more travel room.

and sn95 guys say use fox shocks/struts on a lowered sn95.

i remember hearing they were cause the SN95 S/S are already compressed when you lower the car so it makes driving more rough. but the Fox S/S are shorter to begin with making them better for lowered SN95's

Here you go: http://www.mustangworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=560970
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...2-do-i-use-fox-shocks-struts-just-struts.html

Or you can just google "fox shocks on sn95 mustang" for better information.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
What kinda springs are you running? Drag springs will cause the rear to be softer.
You might also ck your rear control are bushings. Blown rear upper control arm bushings can cause you to ride a bit lower.

Your springs are what supports the car, and the shocks/struts are what controls the bounce.
On most cars today struts are only on the front and shocks on the back, but on some cars you'll find shocks on all 4 corners

OP
OP
T

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
What kinda springs are you running? Drag springs will cause the rear to be softer.
You might also ck your rear control are bushings. Blown rear upper control arm bushings can cause you to ride a bit lower.

Your springs are what supports the car, and the shocks/struts are what controls the bounce.
On most cars today struts are only on the front and shocks on the back, but on some cars you'll find shocks on all 4 corners

Eibach Pro Kit
I can see oil on my rear driver side shock so i know that puppy is blown. Also any bump it smacks REALLY hard from the rear around its almost scary. So i know for a fact the rears are blown. The fronts im not 100% sure about but they seem okay. Also the other thing that is annoying is the rear end of the car squats down when im accelerating normal or hard..

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Are you getting any drive shaft rub as well?
let us know what's up after the shock replacement.

OP
OP
T

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
Are you getting any drive shaft rub as well?
let us know what's up after the shock replacement.

Driveshaft rub? What is that exactly?

Right now i can't go over a certain MPH on the expressway without the car vibrating to hell and back. I was told blown shocks could cause this @ highway speeds.

OP
OP
T

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
From the research i done. These monroe shocks (any OEM over the counter shock) will blow out very soon because of the lowered stance. Its only $40 so if they last through the winter i will be good.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
why would you want to do the work 2x? Hell man do it right and do it once saving time saves money....

OP
OP
T

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
why would you want to do the work 2x? Hell man do it right and do it once saving time saves money....

Because i can't buy the shocks over the counter. The ones that i need are expensive. Right now im just looking for something to last through the winter. During that time i could save up for some nice shocks/struts. A buddy is teaching me how to install the rear shocks as i was told there a piece of cake to install.

Mustanger

Reaction score
Look up the Fox shock interchangeability specs on a vendor website like AM or Summit/Jegs etc, they will give you your options for what years fit, probably ALL of them will...but 93 Foxes will for sure...Rubber/Urethane bump stops for lowered cars might help you from bottoming out, I'm not sure but they changed mine with the ProKit Plus install.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have a few thousand miles on my over the counter shocks and struts and have no problems. the car is lowered as well.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I hope to drop mine this year, sounds like I better start reading up on all the little crap about it....

OP
OP
T

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
I hope to drop mine this year, sounds like I better start reading up on all the little crap about it....

:D Yep. Its more money spent then just buying springs and being done with it. The good shocks/struts cost like $100+ each.... My car already has performance shocks (tokico blues) but there blown so anything on the rear is good compared to the blown ones till i have enough money for more performance shocks.

In the end im only spending $21 for the monroe shocks since i have a $25 gift card for the store lol. I Just need to buy one out of my own cash.

robb15033

Reaction score
I lowered the car more than 2". I installed Fox Body KYB struts/shocks. Everything functions beautifully. I mentioned this before, but at the time I was installing the suspension parts I couldn't imagine the 94-04 struts fitting under the hood. They probably do but I was shitting bricks the first time I attempted to close my hood with a piece of "playdough" on top to check for rubbing.
LoweringSpringsInstall015.jpg

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
:D Yep. Its more money spent then just buying springs and being done with it. The good shocks/struts cost like $100+ each.... My car already has performance shocks (tokico blues) but there blown so anything on the rear is good compared to the blown ones till i have enough money for more performance shocks.

In the end im only spending $21 for the monroe shocks since i have a $25 gift card for the store lol. I Just need to buy one out of my own cash.

yea that I am aware of and because I am never going to sell my moms old mustang I would rather take the time to save the cash and get the good stuff and do it right. I bought some Castor/camber plates on hear earlier this year for $100 shipped(same ones shown in the picture) so I am off to an ok start. I would also like to replace the control arms so I can get adjustable ones to set the height exactly where I want it to be so that I am not too low and tear off the side exhaust sideskirts. Now on springs, shocks I am just not sure what to do. Coil overs/standard/dunno as i am moron at suspension.

Is there any good reading on that shtuff that could help me to know what I need to know?

Sorry to post jack, didn't mean to do that but just curious...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrowdKiller

Members online