New power steering rack... which one?

Photonfanatic

Reaction score
Hi all. Well it seems my power steering rack and pinion on my 94 GT has bit the dust. I looked and looked for the leak, but in the end I couldn't seem to find it so I took it to my trusted mechanic. Its the rack leaking, and he says that its a seal that you don't really have the option to replace. You just buy a new rack and pinion. So I'm wondering if I should upgrade, or just buy a stock replacement. He said that the stock replacement is only around $135. And then his labor for putting it on of course. But the only "performance" one that I could find was from flaming river:

http://www.flamingriver.com/index.php/products/c0014/s0003/FR40003KT

Yeah. Giant price difference. I can't really afford that right now. Is there some kind of happy medium? Is there any other that is an upgrade? With that being the cost of the flaming river one, something tells me no, there is not. So maybe I should just get the motorcraft brand? Or something like this?

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...k=Search_02873_1134144_709&pt=02873&ppt=C0031

OP
OP
Photonfanatic

Photonfanatic

Reaction score
Oh for some reason I was thinking you had bought one or something, and wrecked the car before you put it on. I have to say thanks anyway, but I'm going to have to go with new or remanufactured on a part like this.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Can someone verify if the mach 1's and cobra's have a different ratio than the gt's? Seems like I read that once, somewhere.

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
Can someone verify if the mach 1's and cobra's have a different ratio than the gt's? Seems like I read that once, somewhere.

They do, i have a Mach one rack with a cobra steering shaft which is also different than the gt-v6 ones.

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
Go to NAPA, They sell rebuilt 03 cobra racks for like 220 = core.

OP
OP
Photonfanatic

Photonfanatic

Reaction score
What's the point? Why would you have a different rack? Seems like you'd want the cars to steer pretty much the same.

Slykin

Reaction score
As I understand it, the ratio is the same, it's just a different valving to make the steering more firm.

OP
OP
Photonfanatic

Photonfanatic

Reaction score
Hmm, then I think I wound up with one from a V6 lol. Cause now my steering is even less firm than when I had the stock GT one. I just bought a remanufactured unit from oreilly's, but I bet since they all fit all the cars, they don't care which one they sell. If you get a reman off a cobra, so be it. If you get a V6, oh well.

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
Why would you have a different rack?

Hmm, then I think I wound up with one from a V6 lol. Cause now my steering is even less firm than when I had the stock GT one. I just bought a remanufactured unit from oreilly's, but I bet since they all fit all the cars, they don't care which one they sell. If you get a reman off a cobra, so be it. If you get a V6, oh well.

Makes sense

lizwithfries

Reaction score
The steering ratio (I think?) is what has to do with how much you have to turn the steering wheel before your wheels turns, like the steering wheel stiffness. Theres variable steering ratios too, where at low speeds the wheels turn more with less steering wheel turn and at high speeds you have to turn the steering wheel more to turn the tires. I don't see why the ratio would change from v6 to v8. I believe the ratio thing is what makes the steering wheel feel loose. Maybe I'm way out in left field lol. I bought a reman stock power steerin rack for my car and didn't notice a difference, it was $109 minus the core charge.

Venomized

Reaction score
steering ratio is how quickly the steering responds to the movement of the steering wheel. Its kind of like a rear end in a sense in that if you change the gears in the rear end it responds to the load being put on it quicker.

Saint

Reaction score
I have a quick ratio......cant tell the difference...just get a reman dude....a rack is a rack is a rack is a rack

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrowdKiller

Members online