Conering..and wheel size

Saint

Reaction score
Is there a major difference in cornering between a 17" and 18" wheel.... Which one is the better?

Also, has anyone had a negative affect on cornering from a staggered set up... true 17x9/18x10's or standard 18x9/10 and 17x9/10.

I'm considering buying 18x9/10's or 17x9/18x10's but I'm worried about cornering with 18's

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Is there a major difference in cornering between a 17" and 18" wheel.... Which one is the better?

Also, has anyone had a negative affect on cornering from a staggered set up... true 17x9/18x10's or standard 18x9/10 and 17x9/10.

I'm considering buying 18x9/10's or 17x9/18x10's but I'm worried about cornering with 18's

I think the actual tire and the tire width would have a lot more effect than whether or not you use a 17 or 18 inch rim.

Running a wider tire in the back will enhance oversteer.

You should probably look into running the same width tires all the way around, IE a 275 on a 9 inch wide rim if you care about cornering that much.

I would think a 18 inch wheel/tire combo would tend to have a stiffer sidewall....but then again, a lighter 17 inch wheel setup may be better for the suspension.

Are you actually concerned with handling to the point that your going to sacrifice looks?

OP
OP
Saint

Saint

Reaction score
I think the actual tire and the tire width would have a lot more effect than whether or not you use a 17 or 18 inch rim.

Running a wider tire in the back will enhance oversteer.

You should probably look into running the same width tires all the way around, IE a 275 on a 9 inch wide rim if you care about cornering that much.

I would think a 18 inch wheel/tire combo would tend to have a stiffer sidewall....but then again, a lighter 17 inch wheel setup may be better for the suspension.

Are you actually concerned with handling to the point that your going to sacrifice looks?

Yes I want my car to handle like a true sports car. I'm looking to put a 2.5 inch drop.

Would a stiff side wall on a tire increase stabilty and handling in corners?

I plan on...at least 2" drop springs, bump steer kit, cc plate shocks and struts, pan hard bar.

The wheels are my concern though..I want to be able to actually corner..even if I have to sacrifice looks.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yes I want my car to handle like a true sports car. I'm looking to put a 2.5 inch drop.

Would a stiff side wall on a tire increase stabilty and handling in corners?

I plan on...at least 2" drop springs, bump steer kit, cc plate shocks and struts, pan hard bar.

The wheels are my concern though..I want to be able to actually corner..even if I have to sacrifice looks.

You may want to do a lot of research and talk to MM or something before you do anything.

I would say the 17x9 stock 03 cobra wheels and 275s all around would give you good balance with a somewhat lightweight wheel.

You will need to pair your springs with the right shocks and lower doenst always = better handling, especially with our cars since the lower you go.

I would reccomend the bump steer kit combined with the steeda X2 ball joints when you do lower your car to help with the suspension geometry, especially if you go 2 inches or lower.

I would think that a set of HR super sport springs combined with bilstein struts and shocks and the parts you listed would be a good combo...or the race springs if you want something stiffer. MM coil overs would probably be the shit but they are $$$$.

The MM extreme duty rear LCA's seemed to help plant my rear wheels around turns very well. Also, dont skip the sub frame connectors.

I would suggest trying to figure out exactly what you want to do so you dont end up doing things twice.

Slykin

Reaction score
If you really want to make your car handle, you'll need to correct your front end geometry with a bumpsteer kit and ideally an aftermarket K member(MM hint hint). The 17 or 18 wheels shouldn't really matter though. I'd say a light wheel is more important than an inch less side wall. Not to mention 17 inch tires are much cheaper.

OP
OP
Saint

Saint

Reaction score
You may want to do a lot of research and talk to MM or something before you do anything.

I would say the 17x9 stock 03 cobra wheels and 275s all around would give you good balance with a somewhat lightweight wheel.

You will need to pair your springs with the right shocks and lower doenst always = better handling, especially with our cars since the lower you go.

I would reccomend the bump steer kit combined with the steeda X2 ball joints when you do lower your car to help with the suspension geometry, especially if you go 2 inches or lower.

I would think that a set of HR super sport springs combined with bilstein struts and shocks and the parts you listed would be a good combo...or the race springs if you want something stiffer. MM coil overs would probably be the shit but they are $$$$.

The MM extreme duty rear LCA's seemed to help plant my rear wheels around turns very well. Also, dont skip the sub frame connectors.

I would suggest trying to figure out exactly what you want to do so you dont end up doing things twice.

Thanks man...Never once thought about swapping the rear LCA's. I'll do my research and get things going after the rain season is over out here. I really want my car to handle like it was german built cause I'm into touring more than drag.

I also plan on getting a new K member to stretch the stance. it positions the front wheels 1.5 inches forward I heard it helps with handling also

OP
OP
Saint

Saint

Reaction score
I bet this car handles like an audi

what is the yellow thing connected to the underside of the rearend housing and going up toward the front of the car?

2255296_22_full.jpg

twovalveterror

Reaction score
it is the torque arm. go to mm's site, they explain everything beautifully. I don't know what you think an audi handles like, but I'm willing to bet that car will do circles around most audis on a road course.

as for the wheel question, for a "touring car" the only difference you will notice is a drop in ride quality by going to a smaller sidewall. just worry about getting your geometry corrected, and get some good tires, and I'm sure you will be happy.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
We dont want it to understeer like a stupid audi!!!

lol

but seriously, it should handle great with all that stuff

OP
OP
Saint

Saint

Reaction score
Thanks guys...currently have some SVE springs but I'm selling them and getting the H&R's that have the 2" drop

I'm going to wait until I get the cc plates, shocks and stuts, and bump steer kit, and steeda x2's before I install the springs Also replaceing the sway bar end links and front LCA's hopefully that will make a BIG difference

I'm also getting a new steering rack along with the mentioned upgrades its a "quick ratio" rack 15:1 I think

twovalveterror

Reaction score
Griggs SLA and 03/04 cobra IRS

if you want to spend fives times what the car is worth on suspension, the sla is the way to go. lol.

saint, I believe you are focusing on the wrong area. the rear is the weak link in the mustangs suspension. not saying what you posted won't help the front, but it will only shine the light more brightly on the biggest problem. get some LCA's and a panhard bar. if you can swing it, a grip box from mm or griggs is what a lot of people, including myself, dream about. subframes are a must as well.

as far as the x2 balljoints go, take a look at this thread. I have no personal experience with them, but it seems others were less than happy.

http://sn95forums.com/showthread.php?48215-Suspension-questions-(03-04-cobra-LCA-also-steeda-x2-balljoint-)&highlight=balljoints

h
ope what I'm saying is helping you figure this out. letting us know your goals would help us help you more.

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What exactly are you going to be doing with the car? Daily driving? Autocross? Road Course?

OP
OP
Saint

Saint

Reaction score
if you want to spend fives times what the car is worth on suspension, the sla is the way to go. lol.

saint, I believe you are focusing on the wrong area. the rear is the weak link in the mustangs suspension. not saying what you posted won't help the front, but it will only shine the light more brightly on the biggest problem. get some LCA's and a panhard bar. if you can swing it, a grip box from mm or griggs is what a lot of people, including myself, dream about. subframes are a must as well.

as far as the x2 balljoints go, take a look at this thread. I have no personal experience with them, but it seems others were less than happy.

http://sn95forums.com/showthread.php?48215-Suspension-questions-(03-04-cobra-LCA-also-steeda-x2-balljoint-)&highlight=balljoints

h
ope what I'm saying is helping you figure this out. letting us know your goals would help us help you more.

Whats a grip box?

And what does the torque arm do?

What exactly are you going to be doing with the car? Daily driving? Autocross? Road Course?

I plan on DD'ing and Road Course

Edit: Nevermind, I just googled the grip box from MM I'm going to try and purchase everything separately over a period of time, After I replace my rear end I will start with:

steering rack, Drop springs, cc's, s&s, x2's front and rear LCA's, bump steer, and try to squeeze the pan hard bar in the budget.

then the torque arm and new sub frame connectors...and i'll be adding an extra sway bar in the trunk

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Maximum Motorsports and Griggs both offer grip boxes, or pretty much various levels of all your suspension stuff boxed up together. Torque arm's get rid of the shitty stock 4-link setup and replace the upper arms with one large one that runs down the middle, you can see it on the bottom in the picture up there. They require a panhard bar too, but thats included with at least MM's setups and probably in Grigg's package as well.

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Also, how much are you looking to spend? You're going to have to decide too if you're willing to put up with heavy duty suspension bits that will probably make the ride fairly rough along with a lot more transmitted noise and vibrations or if you'd rather compromise for streetability. You might also want to find ReplicaR's build thread. His car is daily driven and he knows suspensions on these cars forwards and backwards and road races his car.

OP
OP
Saint

Saint

Reaction score
Also, how much are you looking to spend? You're going to have to decide too if you're willing to put up with heavy duty suspension bits that will probably make the ride fairly rough along with a lot more transmitted noise and vibrations or if you'd rather compromise for streetability. You might also want to find ReplicaR's build thread. His car is daily driven and he knows suspensions on these cars forwards and backwards and road races his car.

I'm trying to keep it in the 1,500 ball park. And I don't care how noisey the ride is or if its rough. It will only be DD'ed during these upgrades once it's finished I'll DD it until I can find a second car. and the stang will become a weekend warrior/ pick up chicks and stuff car.

Will these upgrades make understeer and oversteer 50/50, Right now with 9in wide 17's all around it understeers like crazy

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score

h
I know the SLA is over kill and expensive but I will put one in my car that will prob will never see a track... There is something about it that I have to have.... Stupid I know but im set on it it will be the last thing to go on the car but it will happen maybe a year or two from now...

robb15033

Reaction score
Your plan sounds grand. You should start a thread as you collect, piece together, and then drop her down. I threw on all of those parts mentioned and then some only after buying one part at a time for the most part. It's all done & has 17" 315's in the rear, and it handles double as good as I was hoping. I wish I could of purchased a Grip Box MM sells, they're awesome. Good luck and update when you cin.

OP
OP
Saint

Saint

Reaction score
Your plan sounds grand. You should start a thread as you collect, piece together, and then drop her down. I threw on all of those parts mentioned and then some only after buying one part at a time for the most part. It's all done & has 17" 315's in the rear, and it handles double as good as I was hoping. I wish I could of purchased a Grip Box MM sells, they're awesome. Good luck and update when you cin.

Thanks man I'll start a build thread as soon as parts start coming in...I should be getting the rear end in about two weeks so thats when the build thread will begin!!!

what do you have up front by the way? 245's...Do you know your cornering top speed? mine is 70 now, at 75 the tires break loose, I want to get the cornering speed up to atleast 100

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah