maybe some of you suspension gurus can help me out

pmot

Reaction score
I was putting my rear-end back in my car after a rebuild with a new Torsen and gears and I noticed a bad ?"quardashock"? correct me if that term is wrong. It is that shock mounted horizontally I think to reduce wheel hop. I went to a Ford dealer to get a price and they had no idea what it was called either but i pulled the part# off it. I found out it was Ford part#F8ZZ4A263AA and it cost a whopping $135.00 which was actually a fair price compared to other auto parts stores and even online. However I am still not a fan of spending 170-$180 for these pieces. I kind of remember reading something about a suspension kit that did not require these shocks while improving handeling. It probably costs a sload but if any of you guys know of an alternative please let me know.
Thanks

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You can pretty much yank them off whenever you want although some notice additional wheel hop. They say a set of good LCA's can fix that though. I would recommend Maximum Motorsports but I believe Latemodel and SVE have a cheaper version of the same product and I haven't heard terrible things about them so they're a cheaper alternative as well.

96GT02

Reaction score
KYB makes quad shocks for like $45 a piece on CJ, or you can get bilstein on american muscle for like $95 a piece. Most people take them out who have super wide tires that will rub however I feel that if your not rubbing, why not leave them in, they have to be good for some traction or they wouldnt exist. Also how exactly can you tell your quad shock is bad anyway?

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
Bilstein makes a set of quad shocks now. I would run those if you want to keep the quads. Otherwise you can take them off without really worrying.

Mustanger

Reaction score
Adding good rear Lower Control Arms like the MM's or Steeda etc. will eliminate the need for the Quadshocks in most cases. Plus the LCA's really help stop wheel hop! I just added some & although the ride is definitely a bit harsher I love them! I can now power smoothly through a turn at high throttle spinning the tires & kicking the back end out but still stay in control with no hopping & banging...and launching is so much more fun! I will remove the quad shocks soon...to test the theory.

OP
OP
P

pmot

Reaction score
KYB makes quad shocks for like $45 a piece on CJ, or you can get bilstein on american muscle for like $95 a piece. Most people take them out who have super wide tires that will rub however I feel that if your not rubbing, why not leave them in, they have to be good for some traction or they wouldnt exist. Also how exactly can you tell your quad shock is bad anyway?

I would not have noticed except when I went to line everything up for the reinstall the left quad shock practically fell out. I agree they have to be good for something otherwise why would ford spend the time and money on them in the first place. Taking them out without doing any other modifications does not make any sense to me If they are worn out and too loose why would I go through the trouble to remove them without replacing them.
Thanks for all the help right now I will look into kyb's and lower control arms.

MadStang

Reaction score
ford did it to fix the wheel hop on stock axles, what I've come to find is you're gonna have wheel hop regardless and it was a poor fix. Lower control arms will resolve the issue permanently. don't waste your money on quad shocks, unless you're doing burnouts everywhere wheel hop shouldn't even be a factor.

OP
OP
P

pmot

Reaction score
Adding good rear Lower Control Arms like the MM's or Steeda etc. will eliminate the need for the Quadshocks in most cases. Plus the LCA's really help stop wheel hop! I just added some & although the ride is definitely a bit harsher I love them! I can now power smoothly through a turn at high throttle spinning the tires & kicking the back end out but still stay in control with no hopping & banging...and launching is so much more fun! I will remove the quad shocks soon...to test the theory.
What kind of bushings did you get with your lca's and what brand are they?
I love spending the weekend racing around a track but at the end of the day I still have to drive home and I do not really want to be clanging around.
I have often thought about welding a thin piece to close up the bottom of the stock control arm haha, but maybe it was designed to flex slightly.

96GT02

Reaction score
I actually just checked, american muscle has kyb quads for $35 a piece shipped plus forum discount so they are dirt cheap. Why not you know

OP
OP
P

pmot

Reaction score
ford did it to fix the wheel hop on stock axles, what I've come to find is you're gonna have wheel hop regardless and it was a poor fix. Lower control arms will resolve the issue permanently. don't waste your money on quad shocks, unless you're doing burnouts everywhere wheel hop shouldn't even be a factor.
Before I found out for sure they were bad I use to complain about my wheels hopping coming out of slow corners. I do not know if that was the cause, now I assume it was but at the time I blamed classic mustang handling.

OP
OP
P

pmot

Reaction score
I actually just checked, american muscle has kyb quads for $35 a piece shipped plus forum discount so they are dirt cheap. Why not you know
Hey thanks for looking into that for me, that is a much more reasonable price.

96GT02

Reaction score
Yeah no problem, I am a quad supporter lol, for no reason really, I just like the idea.

MadStang

Reaction score
Before I found out for sure they were bad I use to complain about my wheels hopping coming out of slow corners. I do not know if that was the cause, now I assume it was but at the time I blamed classic mustang handling.

if you're doing a tight corner, that's not the axle wheel hopping, that's the t-lok differential locking up the inside wheel like it's supposed to.

OP
OP
P

pmot

Reaction score

Actually I dont think those are it. They just look like the back shocks. I sent KYB an email to check. Could you give me a link so i know were talking about the same one.

OP
OP
P

pmot

Reaction score
if you're doing a tight corner, that's not the axle wheel hopping, that's the t-lok differential locking up the inside wheel like it's supposed to.
Correct then the wheel with power hops because the shock is bad. We could argue about this all night but neither of us have any way to prove it at the moment.

OP
OP
P

pmot

Reaction score

Actually I dont think those are it. They just look like the back shocks. I sent KYB an email to check. Could you give me a link so i know were talking about the same one.

MadStang

Reaction score
Correct then the wheel with power hops because the shock is bad. We could argue about this all night but neither of us have any way to prove it at the moment.

Quad shocks only dampen in a front to rear motion, not in a sideways fashion. Unless you're gunning it out of a tight turn you should not be experiencing wheel hop, and if some how you are, eliminating the poorly functioning quad shock would resolve said issue.

Just giving my advice on suspensions. to me, the extra money is worthless for quadshocks, but, if it's that important you have them, then go for it =]

Mustanger

Reaction score
Pmot...my bushings are the ones MM supplies with the heavy duty adjustable LCA's...you can read about them on their website.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online