Rattling sound in rear

gumby5.0

Reaction score
I just recently installed tokico d-spec struts/shocks on my gt. As I was doing this I took the rear isos. Well for the past week I've noticed a rattling noise coming from the rear going over bumps, the noise is mainly only there at slow speeds. Could this be due to taking the isos out or could the shocks be to blame?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'd look at your shocks. make sure you installed them correctly. Move onto the springs, ensure they are properly seated on the control arms...

do you have aftermarket springs? some of these (BBK Gripps, for example) require the pigtails to face a certain direction.

did you install the shock bushings in the trunk?

OP
OP
G

gumby5.0

Reaction score
I'd look at your shocks. make sure you installed them correctly. Move onto the springs, ensure they are properly seated on the control arms...

do you have aftermarket springs? some of these (BBK Gripps, for example) require the pigtails to face a certain direction.

I'm going to pull the shocks later and re install them to Ford instructions. I have eibach prokit springs with both pig tails facing the passenger side. I've just noticed that I still have the stock pinion snubber and its sitting maybe half an inch above the mount on the axle, could thus be the issue?

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
"mount on the axle" ??? the snubber should mount to the floor board. I suggest a Maximum Motorsports Pinnon snubber on any lowered stang.

I doubt it would cause a "rattle" if its all bolted in (grab the rubber bumper and try and shake it. if the rubber is mounted to the stool properly, and the stool is mounted to the floor properly, no rattle) It would make a "thunk" sound if your diffy hit it.

thats sounds good. While your springs are out, i suggest putting 1 layer of electrical tape/duct tape on the springs in place of the isos. It will simply rule out metal-on-metal contact if the rattle doesnt go away.

OP
OP
G

gumby5.0

Reaction score
"mount on the axle" ??? the snubber should mount to the floor board. I suggest a Maximum Motorsports Pinnon snubber on any lowered stang.

I doubt it would cause a "rattle" if its all bolted in (grab the rubber bumper and try and shake it. if the rubber is mounted to the stool properly, and the stool is mounted to the floor properly, no rattle) It would make a "thunk" sound if your diffy hit it.

thats sounds good. While your springs are out, i suggest putting 1 layer of electrical tape/duct tape on the springs in place of the isos. It will simply rule out metal-on-metal contact if the rattle doesnt go away.

That's what I meant hah. Ill def use the tape trick. im curious to know if the upper and lower washers on the d-spec shocks are the exact same? Is one made to go intop and one for the bottom? I noticed when I loosten the top nut that the upper washer has a lot if extra side to side slack.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrowdKiller

Members online