Best of both worlds? Drag strip and Curves?

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
What does it take to have a well balanced car? I saw 98rocket's video on youtube, and that thing looked like it was as light as butterfly, but sting like a bee lol.

Suspension mods so far: M/M c/c plates, steeda bumpsteer kit, fresh inner tie rods, h/r super sports, Tokico blues (want to swap them out), Iso's.

what would you guys recommend? panhard bar, SFC's, LCA's?, new UCA's? needle bearing steering shaft?

I feel like people lean to either drag, or curves. But there isn't a middle ground. Wouldn't it be great to cut 1.6's at the strip, and carve corners too...

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
My black car handles great and cuts killer 60ft times as well

Ronin

Reaction score
Subscribing...I would like to have all the possible input I can on this.

alex302

Reaction score
98rocket is the guy to talk to he will autox one day and drag racing the next with very low 60 feet time with the same set up. I have ridden in his car at an autox and it rides like its on rails. Very nice setup.

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
My black car handles great and cuts killer 60ft times as well

What's done to it?

98rocket is the guy to talk to he will autox one day and drag racing the next with very low 60 feet time with the same set up. I have ridden in his car at an autox and it rides like its on rails. Very nice setup.

Yeah I'm waiting for him to chime in! His car does both very well!

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
Torque arm , panhard bar, front coilovers, sway bars, boxed upppers, springs outback with adjustable rear lower control arms, k member brace and some good brakes.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
To be honest you can set your car up 100% for the twisties and go to the track with a full wrinkle wall slick and cut killer 60 foot times.....that is what I recommend for anyone.

Skip the drag setup crap, jsut buy a set of slicks and throw them on a 15 inch wheel for the track.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'd look into a maximum motorsports package.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1&zenid=ebe4976d7ba0158662a0279b86653274

It depends on how much you're willing to spend.
If you dont mind spending $5000 on suspension, get this:
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_68&products_id=1036

If youre working on a budget, just pick it apart and get only the crucial parts.

Are you dead on set for 50% of each drag&autoX or are you leaning a little more towards one?

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Torque arm , panhard bar, front coilovers, sway bars, boxed upppers, springs outback with adjustable rear lower control arms, k member brace and some good brakes.

Yes sir, I like the sound of that. I got about 1/3 of my suspension done. Only thing I'm not a fan is coilovers! The streets are unforgiveable here, I have craters on my street and coil over setup will be slightly harsher then a regular spring setup.

To be honest you can set your car up 100% for the twisties and go to the track with a full wrinkle wall slick and cut killer 60 foot times.....that is what I recommend for anyone.

Skip the drag setup crap, jsut buy a set of slicks and throw them on a 15 inch wheel for the track.

I like this idea. Just get some nice 15" wheels with a nice slick or semi-slick on there and be able to cut fast 60's no problem.

I'd look into a maximum motorsports package.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1&zenid=ebe4976d7ba0158662a0279b86653274

It depends on how much you're willing to spend.
If you dont mind spending $5000 on suspension, get this:
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_68&products_id=1036

If youre working on a budget, just pick it apart and get only the crucial parts.

Are you dead on set for 50% of each drag&autoX or are you leaning a little more towards one?

I would say 60 autox/curves 40 drag. I would love to be able to go to track cut a fast time and be able to handle as well. You just have to have the right combination of parts. I really like the first link. I hope the package in the first link lets you be able to keep your catback.

330CubeGt

Reaction score
Under mine is a 04 cobra irs 31 spline, diff brace, full tilt boogie race bushings, derlin and solid alum diff mout, sub frame connectors, h&r race rear springs, bilstein shocks, steeda competition front springs, cc plates, eibach front sway bar, poly motor mounts, rack bushings and link pins, 345/40s rear and 245/45 front 13 sec car that handles like a absolute beast, brakes try to through you through the windaheild, and with a blower on board in the future car would be capable of 11s at over 120 mph and still a daily driven car. Just an example but ive always wanted the best of both worlds and I think im as close to it as ill get. Most dont want to pay the money for a irs tho but its a world of difference

twovalveterror

Reaction score
as a disclaimer, I have not upgraded my live axle, because I have an IRS sitting in the garage waiting. but I will throw my two cents in here seeing as I have done quite a bit of research over the past couple of years on this very subject.

first off, all else being equal, a coil over set up on the front should ride better than stock. this can be verified on mm's website in the coil over tech section.

next, (I'll focus on mm here, since it is the product I was fascinated with) it appears to me, that at the extreme end of either spectrum, drag or road course, mm supplies you almost all of the same hardware. chassis stiffening to let the suspension do it's job. a torque arm/panhard bar/LCA combo to locate the rear, and a tubular k with coilovers all around. the difference is the springs and shocks.

with a street car, you probably don't want to choose either extreme with your spring/shock choice. get with mm and see what they recommend for you. I think what someone said above about just throwing a slick on for the track is your best bet.

I have spoken to mm tech support about trying to get the best of both worlds. and they gave me a similar answer. you could do either really well, but you won't be able to push your set up to it's limits on both fronts at the same time.

again, no real life experience here. just logic applied to many late nights of research.

good luck!

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
^ Nice! Thanks for advice. I'm swapping out my tokico's for bilstein shocks/struts. I can't stand my rear shocks anymore. Like i mentioned in the other thread the h/r supersports are to much for them.

Under mine is a 04 cobra irs 31 spline, diff brace, full tilt boogie race bushings, derlin and solid alum diff mout, sub frame connectors, h&r race rear springs, bilstein shocks, steeda competition front springs, cc plates, eibach front sway bar, poly motor mounts, rack bushings and link pins, 345/40s rear and 245/45 front 13 sec car that handles like a absolute beast, brakes try to through you through the windaheild, and with a blower on board in the future car would be capable of 11s at over 120 mph and still a daily driven car. Just an example but ive always wanted the best of both worlds and I think im as close to it as ill get. Most dont want to pay the money for a irs tho but its a world of difference

The IRS is nice piece but adding more weight to the car is not my style. Unless you manage to strip weight off the car to keep it a low weight to begin with, but nothing compares to IRS on the street lol. Other than that I really like torque arm packages, and panhard bar. I'm definitely beefing up that because I have a good handling car, and nice drag stip car too but almost 50/50 since you can't maximize both.

98rocket

Reaction score
It's Possible..I bass my opinion on personal experience. A mustang without the proper support or bracing is a car that is very loose and unpredictable. The more bracing you have the better off you will be.

When you build some thing it will last longer with a good strength system. Once you support your stang structurally it will launch harder and turn better.

For instance, instead of spending a fortune on coil overs. Buy other sus. pieces. Your car will feel quicker without even adding any HP.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
would you say coil overs or adjustable control arms if I were already planning on replacing the control arms?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrowdKiller

Members online

No members online now.