adjustable shocks?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
So I have decided to go ahead and get the road/track box from M&M. I have heard that the ride can be a bit rough and my worst fear of dropping that much cash into it to get a great handling car that the stiff ride beats the hell outta me. I would like to have nice handling car that would give me some options for tuning the ride quality so that I can comprimise between the two or adjust it nice and hard for a track session. I am a complete newb to suspensions. but it seems to me the best way to do this is with adjustable shocks? Is there a better way? If not I am just wondering what you would recomend and why? I would hope that they would be adjustable in a way that would not make it too hard to adjust but I am sure that different brands do different things. Is there any specific shock that would be recomended or that anone here has exp with? Thanks in advance.

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
how come you didn't call and ask MM on the phone? Or haven't you ordered yet? If not I suggest calling and talking to them. They are very helpful.

Either way.. Ide say wait and see what you think of the ride when the setup is on the car.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I'd probably go with something they recommend, it's possible the springs are too stiff for some of the aftermarket struts.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would just build your own set up .. Why pay so much money for that crap ??

go on Corral.net and start buying parts

Thats funny - "that crap"

I could say the same thing about your blower build, why go with the trickflow and the vortech crap when you could have found an eaton and some gt40p's and saved all that cash?

The road/track box is a proven performer as it states in their add - "MM developed the Road & Track Box into the ultimate extension of the stock-typ suspension. Motor Trend confirmed the amazing handling ability of this package when they tested it for the December, 1998 issue of 5.0 Mustang. A 1990 LX Mustang equipped with the Road & Track Box tied for the 3rd fastest slalom speed ever recorded by Motor Trend. The Road & Track Box includes the following parts. Items different from the Sport Box are italicized" - make sence now lol?

Besides I am not buying all of it. I already have the CC plates that I got used for $100, already have the stepped sub-frame connectors for the side exhaust as well as found a strut tower brace and a K-brace on craigs list for $100. With all that stuff it just leaves the more important stuff left over that I would prefer to buy new anyway.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
If you going to build your rear suspension with all that bet its going to be pretty stiff. Kinda harsh on the bumps.. I could be wrong.. Unless you going to drag alot have you thought about a IRS.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yes I understant that it will certainly be a rougher ride which is why I am trying to find out if I can tone it down with the adj shocks or maybe even softer springs. I would rather spend the extra on adj shocks if they can do the job rather then do a different spring and sacrifice the handling when I need it but if I need to I will just soften the spring up a bit. In the end though I want a better handling better riding car which should not be too hard to do considering the the stock shocks/springs are on it still.

Mrstangerbanger

Reaction score
Thats funny - "that crap"

I could say the same thing about your blower build, why go with the trickflow and the vortech crap when you could have found an eaton and some gt40p's and saved all that cash?

The road/track box is a proven performer as it states in their add - "MM developed the Road & Track Box into the ultimate extension of the stock-typ suspension. Motor Trend confirmed the amazing handling ability of this package when they tested it for the December, 1998 issue of 5.0 Mustang. A 1990 LX Mustang equipped with the Road & Track Box tied for the 3rd fastest slalom speed ever recorded by Motor Trend. The Road & Track Box includes the following parts. Items different from the Sport Box are italicized" - make sence now lol?

Besides I am not buying all of it. I already have the CC plates that I got used for $100, already have the stepped sub-frame connectors for the side exhaust as well as found a strut tower brace and a K-brace on craigs list for $100. With all that stuff it just leaves the more important stuff left over that I would prefer to buy new anyway.

What are you talking about bro ..

Call the company seriously ..All I was saying is buy the same shit used and save money but if you want to waste your money buying it new then go ahead .. I bought all my performance parts used or pre owned and could sell everything on my car for way more then I paid ..

Its your car and your money do what you want but dont ask people for advice and get angry.. I was just trying to help but good luck ..

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
why is everyone on here a bro suddenly? :) I wasn't callin yer gear crap I was making an analogy that you could have saved some cash by going with a cheaper brands. I am glad that you can sell your gear for waaaay more then you have it in even though it doubtfull honestly. I am not concerned about the resale value of my gear nor my car or gear 10 yrs from no as its not going to be for sale, but I would challenge you to carve some corners to see which handles it better? I am more concerned with getting a ride quality that I will not hate for the rest of my life then to save a few hundred buck and hope it lasts as long.....

I have already bought the parts that I wanted to or felt comfortable buying used including the CC plates, subframe connectors(unused actually but still bought at discount) and the strut/ and K-brace. When it comes to the shocks/struts and springs though it doesn't seem worth it to me to take the chance on what I am getting to save a $100 or two. I can only hope that I would find teh same gear that would not work as well together either from not being matched as well, not being what I really wanted or how badly it was really used. I would still need to order the bushings and isolators and now would get pay shippin on them.

IMO its worth the extra cash to get the important moving parts of my suspension as new so that I can be a little more sure that 10 maybe 20 yrs from now when I still own teh car that it didnt wear out 5 yrs ago to attempt to save money. it also give me the option of choosing a couple of different options to get the ride I want to enjoy rather then just saving the money for a ride I would not like.

Mrstangerbanger

Reaction score
why is everyone on here a bro suddenly?

I have already bought the parts that I wanted to or felt comfortable buying used including the CC plates, subrame connectors(unused and new actually) and the strut/ and K-brace. When it comes to the shocks/struts and springs though it doesn't seem worth it to me to take the chance on what I am getting to save a $100 or two. I can only hope that I would find teh same gear that would not work as well together either from not being matched as well, not being what I really wanted or how badly it was really used. I would still need to order the bushings and isolators and now would get pay shippin on them.

IMO its worth the extra cash to get the important moving parts of my suspension as new so that I can be a little more sure that 10 yrs from now when I still own teh car that it didnt wear out 5 yrs ago to attempt to save money.

Bro I bought most of my shit NEW pre owned .... There are all kinds of suspension shit for sale that is new never used .. Like i said its your car

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
and in the paragraph you quoted, so did I. Your right it is my car, my money and my post that I am just trying to find out if anyone has any experience with adjustable shocks that they could recomend. I appreciate the post jack but if its really that important to you that I buy it all used/new sorry to disappoint.

Have you used any adj shocks that you liked and could recomend?

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Back on topic. lolI am running koni red's single adjustables. And they work great with my Sportlines.All you need is an allen wrench to tweek the ride to your liking.Obviously it will depend on your spring rates too.I would definately go with some progressive rate springs though.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
THAT is what I was hoping for. How much does it make an adjustment is in an eazily find to et spouce?

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
1 Full turn is stiff enough that I had to stop and soften it for the ride home.Another plus is they are rebuildable.I was lucky enough to find the set on c/l for the cost of 1.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
THAT is exactly what I am wanting to hear man thanks. Just looking for a combination that will work on the street and on the track.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Touch Red

Members online