CCRM woes

shoesandsocks

Reaction score
Soo i believe my ccrm is malfunctiong and is causing my cooling fan to not operate here is why i believe car gets hot fan does not come on

checked fan fused okay

Pulled the connector to the temp sensor fan turns on which means fan has good power and motor runs and relay works. Bought a new sensor which was very very bad and problem still happens though?

Also fan does not turn on when the A/C is on which tells me there is something wrong with the ccrm not telling th fan to turn on.

So questions is there really anything left to check to narrow it down

AND WHAT CCRM DO I BUY!!!! i have a 96 gt 5spd and there is so many different letters on the front of them which one do i get

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Don't forget the fan is 2 speed.
Inside the CCRM is the fuel pump relay, A/c comp. relay, and Hi and Low speed fan relays.
When you pull codes doing a KOEO test, one of the first things you you will hear is a couple of relays clicking, then the Low speed fan come on for a couple seconds followed by the Hi speed fan. This will test your circuitry.
Codes on 94-95 gt's can be pulled by using a paperclip. Instructions in your Haynes Manual

mikey94gt

Reaction score
Don't forget the fan is 2 speed.
Inside the CCRM is the fuel pump relay, A/c comp. relay, and Hi and Low speed fan relays.
When you pull codes doing a KOEO test, one of the first things you you will hear is a couple of relays clicking, then the Low speed fan come on for a couple seconds followed by the Hi speed fan. This will test your circuitry.
Codes on 94-95 gt's can be pulled by using a paperclip. Instructions in your Haynes Manual

This^

OP
OP
S

shoesandsocks

Reaction score
does this work on a 96 and when i pull the temp sensor wouldnt that be the high speed fan which is the same as the one that the A/C would be on?

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would assume so.
By pulling the temp sensor your tricking the computer into thinking it's in an overheat condition and it's turns on the hi speed fan.

OP
OP
S

shoesandsocks

Reaction score
Then the computer knows to turn the high speed fan on when the plug is pulled but not to turn it on at all when its running normally or when the a/c is on im thinkin ccrm problems

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score
Ccrm in the 96 is in the passenger fender. The part number is easily visible. Remove fender splash panel and its right there. The unit is a large relay.

9838stang

Reaction score
Ok I'm going to help you out here with a couple of things. First with the fan issue. I have a 98 v6 auto. I noticed a few years back that my temp gauge sky rocketed in he red. I looked around and found out a couple of tests. On is the a/c test to get the fan to kick on. If it didnt the fuses was blown or the fan motor was bad. Mine was bad. I replaced the motor works great.

As for the ccrm being years specific. Not true I have a 95 ccrm in mine now works great. I would replace the motor then the ccrm, if the issue persists.

robb15033

Reaction score
Trace back and hunt down the fan voltage. I'm assuming you did that with a multimeter.
CHECK
Fan operation is controlled by both the PCM and the constant controlrelaymodule (CCRM), whichin corperates the high and low speed fan relays and the air conditionong relay. The coolant temp sensor signals the PCM of engine temperature, and the CCRM turns the fan on at a low speed when coolant temp reaches 221 degrees, then turns off when the temp lowers to 200 degrees. The high speed portion of thee fan only operates when the engine is hot and the air conditioning is on.
No Fan- Check the ground of the circuit by using your Ohm meter. Ground one side of the meter and probe the other side at the black wire terminal of the fan connector. Resistance should not be no more than 5 Ohms. If resistance is high, trace the ground wire (Black) from the CCRM to the chasis.
At the CCRM, the two power feed wires should have battery voltage at all times.
-Mr. Chilton

OP
OP
S

shoesandsocks

Reaction score
if the fan motor was bad wouldnt the fan not be able to turn on at all? it still works no grinding when u spin by hand and looks fairly new.

the miracle of my obd scanner shows me alot it. When i pull the sensor it tells me no signal on the sensor and starts the fan. Whit it plugged in temparture is reading 240 soooo it knows how its getting it just doesnt like me.

Also all voltages and resistance are within spec so what now.....

9838stang

Reaction score
nope, mine spun freely and the motor was shot. if it knows the temp is high i would replace the motor for the fan...

robb15033

Reaction score
If that is the case, when the engine temp is worm enough and multi meter in hand, do the final diagnostic test: With meter (DCvolts), at the fan terminal strip, put one lead on black and one lead on red/orange. If voltage is present, then low speed fan is bad. Hold one lead to black and other lead to orange/blue, if voltage is present highspeed fan is bad. Need new fan,
You can easily bypass any troubleshooting at any engine temp if you think its the fan motor. Run 1 small piece of proper gauge wire from battery to the red/orange and then (separately) to the orange black terminal wire. The fan should turn both times. Good luck. Update later.
ALSO: What DC Volt readings were showing at the fan terminal
& What was the exact resistance recording in Ohms measurement?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online