Shocks & Struts

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ever since I got my lowering springs, my ride quality has been sabotaged. I'm looking into getting some new shocks & struts for summer.

I'm currently looking at KYB's GR-2/excel-G shocks/strut combo.
Also looking at these: http://www.maximummotorsports.com/s...ct_info&cPath=514_23_375_389&products_id=1362
Is anyone on here running those? Are there any other brands i should consider? Stay away from?

Keep in mind i don't want to spend $500 on shocks/struts so bilsteins & the d-specs are out of the picture.

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
Honestly, I wouldn't ever buy anything less than Bilsteins anymore. I've gone through multiple sets (tokico, eibachs, kyb) in just a little over a year. I have a pussy spring (B spring), and I cannot find the right shock/strut for them. I'm done playing around and throwing out money. I'm going to order a set of Bilsteins and H&R springs and never look back!

Although I might add I think Onyx is running tokico either d spec or illumina and he says they are top notch.

Also what springs do you have? SVE?

Slykin

Reaction score
Meh, I ran GR-2's on my last car... wasn't very impressed. Personally I'd say just save up and do it right. It's hard to beat bilstein, and if you do it right the first time you won't have to worry about it for a while. Bilsteins have a lifetime warranty I'm pretty sure too..

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
I brought a cheap monroe pair from advanced auto. The 1st 3 minutes it rode like a Cadillac. After those 3 minutes the ride is rough again lol.

OP
OP
Ferocious

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If i end up getting bilsteins, i'd pick up a used set through the classifieds or craigslist. I'm not gonna pay $500-600 for them... way too much in my opinion.

Also what springs do you have? SVE?

Yeah

Nacho98

Reaction score
what about tokico blues? thats what i was thinking of going with

96TANGERINEGT

Reaction score
I have tokico and i like them . Oh and what is everyone talking about when they say tokico blues ? Just wondering cause mine r white lol

OP
OP
Ferocious

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
what about tokico blues? thats what i was thinking of going with

I'm looking at those too.
I probably wont be getting the KYB's.

Both the tokicos and konis seem to be good kits for the price.

Venomized

Reaction score
Im running the GR2s with my SVEs and they ride great. I dont know why people are dogging on them so much since Ive ran these on quite a few cars. I have no complaints about the ride of mine and my wife even complimented it and she would be the first to bitch.

Slykin

Reaction score
My GR2's weren't terrible, just "meh" like I said. The fact that one of mine seized up or something of that nature kinda put a sour taste in my mouth though. But, if you don't have big goals as far as handling, the GR2's aren't a bad choice, especially for the money.

OP
OP
Ferocious

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
But, if you don't have big goals as far as handling, the GR2's aren't a bad choice, especially for the money.

It's my daily driver... thats all. I dont race it or autoX it. I just want an enjoyable ride.

Slykin

Reaction score
It's my daily driver... thats all. I dont race it or autoX it. I just want an enjoyable ride.

Probably won't go too wrong with any of them then... I had some unknown springs about the same height as yours with GR-2's, and while they were a bit stiff, they were plenty acceptable. I wouldn't call them super comfortable though.

OP
OP
Ferocious

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The reviews seem really good for the GR-2's.

my car rides much smoother than before - no more bouncing after the big bumps

Thats exactly what annoys me the most about my suspension.
I can dodge the occasional pothole and slow down on large dips, but i always notice my car bouncing up and down on the road when i hit a bump.

borlakid96

Reaction score
I also have the kyb shocks and struts. Ive had them for a few months and have nothing against them so far. I didnt want to spend ton either but im happy with them

JoshHooten

Reaction score
What kind of springs do you have ?
With my ford c springs cut I have factory style shocks and struts and it drives like it did stock a very comfortable ride.

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
Honestly, I wouldn't ever buy anything less than Bilsteins anymore. I've gone through multiple sets (tokico, eibachs, kyb) in just a little over a year. I have a pussy spring (B spring), and I cannot find the right shock/strut for them. I'm done playing around and throwing out money. I'm going to order a set of Bilsteins and H&R springs and never look back!

Bilsteins is top notch..
everything else its just a waste of money, personally ive gone through strange 10 way, tokico blues and whites.

I have a full set of bilstein for less than 300.. The struts had 4k miles when i bought them and the shocks were bought brand new for 94 shipped.
they beat americanmuscle for 10 bucks

det_riot

Reaction score
if you wanna go cheaper, look for some 03/04 take offs, thats what i have in my front and my rears are tokico bullets

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online