Coilovers - Who did you go with? Spring rates? Are you Happy?

KidK9

Reaction score
Well the title pretty much says it all. Those with coilovers...which company? Are you happy with ride quality and stance? What spring rate did you go with?

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have mm on my one car and UPR on the other. The fox runs 250lb springs and the sn has 175lb springs

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
Bilstein/ maximum springs 275 upfront and super race white springs out back
No pics of the stance

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
Don't mean to thread jack, but how bad are coil overs for daily driving?

I just spent a good chunk of change on H&R super sport springs, mm cc, bilsteins shocks/struts, that's why I ask

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Don't mean to thread jack, but how bad are coil overs for daily driving?

I just spent a good chunk of change on H&R super sport springs, mm cc, bilsteins shocks/struts, that's why I ask

I thought coil overs were actually supposed to be better/ softer for a daily driver?

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
I thought coil overs were actually supposed to be better/ softer for a daily driver?

That's exactly what I was thinking. over on SVTP everyone swears that coil overs are too much for driving daily. usually they recommend only getting front coil overs and a conventional spring set up in the rear. Also, if you check maximum motorsports website they do not recommend coil overs for dd either.

I've always found that odd since my friends M3 with coil overs has a smoother ride than a caddy. shouldn't the coil overs be adjustable to where you can set them at a soft set up?

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
That's exactly what I was thinking. over on SVTP everyone swears that coil overs are too much for driving daily. usually they recommend only getting front coil overs and a conventional spring set up in the rear. Also, if you check maximum motorsports website they do not recommend coil overs for dd either.

I've always found that odd since my friends M3 with coil overs has a smoother ride than a caddy. shouldn't the coil overs be adjustable to where you can set them at a soft set up?

lol, thats so weird, they have always been known to be a more controlled/ better ride...I dont see how they wouldnt be smooth if you had them a bit higher with a soft setup

det_riot

Reaction score
lol, thats so weird, they have always been known to be a more controlled/ better ride...I dont see how they wouldnt be smooth if you had them a bit higher with a soft setup

Well I'm no expert but I'm sure if you wanted your car to handle like a caddy you could get a softer spring matched with adjustable struts to make the ride spot on ti how you want them. My car is tight while turning very responsive and very little body roll. As far as bumps, I feel everything but that's because I have very stiff springs

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score
6year old gms coilovers with 300lb qa1 springs on the front. H&r super race springs matched with roush bilstein shocks in the rear. Rear is controlled by phb, steeda double adj uca and mm adj. lcas. Rides awesome.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
from everything I've read on MM website coilovers do provide a better ride while being able to run a stiffer spring. the reason is because of where the coilover spring is located essentially at the tip of the A arm vs the stock location which is much closer to the pivot point. MM recommends rear coilovers for track only driving.

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yep. Coilovers are overates for street use
Koni coilovers are more for track use

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
I have a Team Z coil over kit with Strange 10 struts. They are 170lb springs its a compromise between street/strip with a little more towards the strip aspect. Love the stance, I dont really care how it rides its all about function and its not my DD but I will be driving the hell out of it this summer when I get it back on the road in a few weeks.

This is with a Team Z Kmember A arms and 1/2 hubcentric spacers.

005-37.jpg

004-44.jpg

ram360

Reaction score
MMR Front Coil Over Springs 175 lb Springs, Ford Racing Rear Springs (B Series), MM cc plates. Handling is good but they are noiser that having stock coils. IMO you have better ride quality w/ a "good" set of springs.

twovalveterror

Reaction score
from everything I've read on MM website coilovers do provide a better ride while being able to run a stiffer spring. the reason is because of where the coilover spring is located essentially at the tip of the A arm vs the stock location which is much closer to the pivot point. MM recommends rear coilovers for track only driving.

this is what I came here to say. they have potential for a better ride due to better geometry. mm doesn't recommend the rear coil over kit for live axle cars because the springs can become unseated(?) during extreme suspension travel via inclines etc. but a member on here came up with a solution for that using a helper spring.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
yeah i saw that, I also asked MM about the helper springs for use with the front since I'm going to be running my car on the lower side and they said they really aren't needed because of how much of the strut the spring runs along. I am very impressed with MM customer service as of late, makes me even happier that I spent my money on their stuff.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrowdKiller

Members online