Opinions Needed... Is it REALLY worth it?

slow90coupe

Reaction score
I am about to start working on "freshening up" the suspension on my 97 GT with 129,000 miles. The car feels really tight to me, but I really haven't driven any low mile or full suspension cars. I'm just wanting to hear opinions on how far I should go with it.

The only mods to the suspension are Eibach Sportlines and a strut tower brace.

Things that I know need to be replaced- struts and shocks, balljoints, and sway bar bushings. All of this stuff has 129,000 miles on it and has never been touched.

I'm thinking about buying some Tokico HP series struts and shocks, and of course new balljoints and bushings.

My main question is... Will it REALLY be worth the time and money to go all out and do the struts/shocks, all new suspension bushings all throughout, a UPR k-member, CC plates, upper/lower control arms, and subframe connectors? Keep in mind that my main use for the car will just be cruising around and MAYBE 1 or 2 runs down the track and a few hard corners on the street. Just looking for some input.
Thanks guys!!!

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
if it aint broke dont fix it unless it for racing of some sort, when you said ball joints i :( its a backbreaker. just just replaced my front suspension due to being stupid at the track so i dont recommend it unless you need it.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
The only thing I'd say might not be worth it is the K member, everything else is somewhat necessary, and the subframe connectors will give your car a more solid feel and improve the ride. Probably don't need upper/lower control arms either, but the bushings are probably in rough shape.

det_riot

Reaction score
The only thing I'd say might not be worth it is the K member, everything else is somewhat necessary, and the subframe connectors will give your car a more solid feel and improve the ride. Probably don't need upper/lower control arms either, but the bushings are probably in rough shape.

x2, k memeber really is only useful if you're trying to drop weight in the front end. Stock upps and Lowers aren't bad. If you're going to do the control arms, just get some nice tubular lower control arms and all new bushings. The stock upper control arms aren't actually bad at all.

Mustanger

Reaction score
You will love the subframes! One of my best/favorite mods! Really strengthens the whole car & changes the feel of it much more solid going around corners. I also love the MM lower control arms!!! Lets me accelerate & corner as hard as I want & no axle hopping! The Tokicos would be a great addition & I'd have my front end bushings & control arms all checked to see if they needed replacing...same for the ball joints... gives you a nice feeling with no worries about your car. Does it feel loose now? or wander down the road?

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If you mainly use it for cruising, id get new shocks & struts as well as subframes. The rest is just extra to be honest..

OP
OP
slow90coupe

slow90coupe

Reaction score
Alright, thanks guys!!! Looks like I will just concentrate on the struts and balljoints for now. I already have subframe connectors, just need to get them welded in. The car feels awesome as it is, very tight. All it needs is struts because it has the typical bounce when you hit a bump. They have done pretty good to have lasted 129,000 miles though!

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well, you also get the benefit of more room to work with a tubular K lol. But otherwise I agree with everything stated in here. Definitely get those SFC's welded up soon. That made so much more of a difference than I could have ever imagined. Really tightened up the whole car.

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
Damn I need to get the sub frame connectors, but I think a pricey cat back is yelling my name.

Don't get the upper control arms, the stock ones are fine. You will create too much bind with uppers that have poly bushings. Get the rear lower control arms though! You will not regret these! As someone noted above; the car will feel more planted, you will feel secure making sharp turns, improved traction....

Forget the tokico HPs. They are garabage. I have had 2 sets lose dampening force within a year. Get bilsteins or konis and never look back. I made the wrong choice in the first place and got b springs with tokicos and I have paid for it :(

twovalveterror

Reaction score
skip the UCA's and the k member, you'll be golden.

I wouldn't swap a k member unless the engine was already out. too much work for too little gain.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
skip the UCA's and the k member, you'll be golden.

I wouldn't swap a k member unless the engine was already out. too much work for too little gain.

Only reason I'll do it in the future is because I have to drop it to fix my leaky oil pan eventually haha

twovalveterror

Reaction score
I plan to as well. mainly for header clearance, and weight savings. I won't put my headers on because I don't have a k member, and I won't install a k member until my motor is ready to go in. I'm lazy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrowdKiller

Members online