keep hearing roll the fenders, huh??

sams98gt

Reaction score
i know this is stupid as hell but if i lower my car and get a bigger wider wheel in the back. what is rolling my fender? dont be too hard on me just never heard of it.

joekd

Reaction score
Run your hand on the inside of your wheelwell and you will feel the straght lip there, if you run a wide enough tire it will hit that edge cutting into the tire

What rolling the lip does is push that lip up so it gives you additional clearance. In the old days we did this with a rubber mallet, baseball bat or piece of wood, now you can get a tool that bolts onto your rear lugs and makes the ris of paint damage much lower.

Reactions: MJM
OP
OP
S

sams98gt

Reaction score
finally someone explains it, lol! thanks guy! so this would be something ill have to do then? sounds like a bitch, lol

JJhirsch

Reaction score
Give us what you are looking to do because you don't always have to roll them.

I have 1-1.5 drop with 18x10 rim and 285 35 18 tire with no problems.

OP
OP
S

sams98gt

Reaction score
Give us what you are looking to do because you don't always have to roll them.

I have 1-1.5 drop with 18x10 rim and 285 35 18 tire with no problems.
was hoping to do a wide 20 in the back just because i saw it on another members 96 and to me it looked amazing! want to lower it also but with the whole fender rolling thing not feeling that! if i did a stiffer suspension with coilovers maybe i could avoid the "fender roll", lol?

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
No you'll still need to do it. Most the guys with wide tires and in rolled fenders cars are still 4x4's 1.5" drop hardly changes the wheel well gap on these cars.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I just put on 315-35-17 nitto 555's and I'm going to have to roll mine. They only rub when I enter a parking lot that has a raised entrance, and I enter on an angle.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
hey sam, sorry dude i didnt really explain the fender roll deal.....yea dude ur def gonna have to do it to lower it with a wide 20" tire. i think ya gotta go wide to enhance the wide rear half of the car and ya gotta go low to avoid the 20" wagon wheel effect therefore ya gotta roll the fender! 20" tires arent cheap and that little fn lip will ruin ur day!! why dont you and brian swing by my garage and ill get ya stanced right! think i already told ya i have an xtra pair of 20" 338s to mock up if ya decide to go with a 20!!

joekd

Reaction score
I had Sumi 315's with Eibach pro kit and they never rubbed

Of course the Sumi's ran so narrow that my current 275 BFG's are almost as wide of actual tread width

Tony

Legend
Reaction score

Of course the Sumi's ran so narrow that my current 275 BFG's are almost as wide of actual tread width
315's on a 20??

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
i have 275 30s and lowered just over 2" in the rear! i didnt even have to try the wheel first before i rolled the fenders! it was plain as day that i was gonna rub, lol!!

OP
OP
S

sams98gt

Reaction score
hey sam, sorry dude i didnt really explain the fender roll deal.....yea dude ur def gonna have to do it to lower it with a wide 20" tire. i think ya gotta go wide to enhance the wide rear half of the car and ya gotta go low to avoid the 20" wagon wheel effect therefore ya gotta roll the fender! 20" tires arent cheap and that little fn lip will ruin ur day!! why dont you and brian swing by my garage and ill get ya stanced right! think i already told ya i have an xtra pair of 20" 338s to mock up if ya decide to go with a 20!!
thats the first thing i noticed about your car coming at me was the wide rear. thought maybe it had a wide body kit at first. i've got about a grand to drop on the suspension right now and i know its not going to be cheap so how much would u charge for labor? i also wondered if i have such a wide tire in the rear wont it rub even with the inner fender gone?

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
thats the first thing i noticed about your car coming at me was the wide rear. thought maybe it had a wide body kit at first. i've got about a grand to drop on the suspension right now and i know its not going to be cheap so how much would u charge for labor? i also wondered if i have such a wide tire in the rear wont it rub even with the inner fender gone?
$1001 dude, lmao! no charge bro just swing by we'll get something goin for ya! $1000 is plenty to slam it right and ROLL THOSE FENDERS, lol!!

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score

K

With that much of a wheel gap I'd hope they wouldn't rub

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I used a baseball bat and baby sledge hammer. Did it on a hot day and placed duct tape around edge to minimize paint cracking. I would have used an Eastwood roller but my tire was getting sliced and diced and I had to drive it that week to work, my new Nitto Invo 295 was getting destroyed.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
Doesn't matter what size the rim is, all that matters is the tread width and tire diameter
but i ask cause a 315 on a 20 is fn huge! way too much tire for a 20" wheel on a 98!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online