Odd Rear Suspension Issue

1996GT

Reaction score
Hey guys im having some trouble figuring out whats going on with the rear suspension on a 99 GT i just bought. No matter what lowering springs i install, it wont lower it. For starters, just even installing the springs is a major pain!! I need to take a small jack and jack the axle downwards so i can have some clearance and i STILL struggle to get em in there. Ive tried Eibach Sportlines, Eiback pro-kit and H&R Sport springs and incredibly the car ends up with the same height regardless! 4 fingers between the tire and fender which i believe is close to stock.
I really dont know where to start with this issue but the guy did say he replaced the gears sooo who knows exactly what he replaced. Ive lowered a lot of Mustangs and never ran in to something like this before.
If anyone has experienced this before or could give some tips or feedback, i would really appreciate it. Thanks and sorry for the long post.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
it takes a couple days for the springs to settle after install. How long did you wait?

OP
OP
1996GT

1996GT

Reaction score
I waited about a week on all of em. The thing thats got me is that the front drops according to the springs' specs. The front drops instantly as soon as i release the jack (all the springs were used so they were "broken in").

OP
OP
1996GT

1996GT

Reaction score
Yeah, i even tried different pigtail positions and no difference. Regardless of what brand spring i install, i get the same ride quality, crappy lol

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
hm. id use a measuring tape instead of fingers to determine changes.

are you using ISOs (or lack thereof) on all of the set-ups? keeping everything the same except the springs?

RichV

Reaction score
What about weight in the back? Are you stock weight? Or did you lighten it at all?

Are the control arms aftermarket? Did they install them right?

OP
OP
1996GT

1996GT

Reaction score
I am not running isos at the moment for exactly that reason. From what i can tell, the entire rear end is stock including upper/lower control arms.

94RedGt

Reaction score
This is probably stupid but make sure u check ur control arm, i have heard of of control arm bushings binding agains the mount and causing the control arm to not travel completely and it might give you a shitty ride quality. Also take a picture of the car to see the drop, lowering springs for the back do not always lower the car that much. Imo i would check the lca and upper ones to see if theres some binding going on.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
First of all if you're having trouble with the rear springs then something is wrong. All you should really have to do is support the pumpkin, unbolt the rear shocks, lower the rear axle down. Then jacking up one side will lower the other allowing the spring to all but just fall out, replace it and do the opposite for the other side. Pigtail should be pointed towards the drivers side for both rear springs also.

JoshHooten

Reaction score
Yeah I agree with onyx, the rear should be easy. You can try taking out the isos. Just to see if it changes anything.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010