Rear Lowering Spring install issue on 97 Cobra

cobra97

Reaction score
I unbolted my rear control arm and lowered oldspring out just like the haynes manual said, when I went to put new spring in and jack the control arm into position to bolt back up the holes were WAY out of alignment. what gives!!! has anyone else had this issue or am i just an unlucky guy?? here are some photos, the holes must be a good inch out of alignment.
Pic1small.jpg

pic2small.jpg
[/IMG]

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yeah that happened to me the first time, that's actually the hard way to do the rear springs.

Support the pumpkin and unbolt the shocks, let it down and the extra slack should allow you to get the control arm back into place. (i think that's how i solved it on mine, was a long time ago) then with the shocks unbolted jack up one side and it will give you space on the opposite side to do the spring, then switch sides. Make sure the pig tail points towards the drivers side on both springs.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
The diff rotated when you lowered it.
Put your jack on the input shaft and slowly lift and it will line the holes back up.

RichV

Reaction score
^ yep.

I had to use a ratchet strap on my Fox to bring the axle forward a little when I installed the lower control arms. Hook one side on the axle, the other on the body/k-member and ratchet until things line up.

OP
OP
C

cobra97

Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips and advice.

CC'S95GT im goint to start with yours. I think maybe the diff. did rotate and tommorow im going to slightly jack the input side and see if that works. If not I will try some of the other recommended suggestions.

thanks

Slykin

Reaction score
Get a few jacks and get clever. That's what I had to do lol. And yes, rotate the diff forwards, it helped me some.

OP
OP
C

cobra97

Reaction score
Yeah that happened to me the first time, that's actually the hard way to do the rear springs.

Support the pumpkin and unbolt the shocks, let it down and the extra slack should allow you to get the control arm back into place. (i think that's how i solved it on mine, was a long time ago) then with the shocks unbolted jack up one side and it will give you space on the opposite side to do the spring, then switch sides. Make sure the pig tail points towards the drivers side on both springs.

I see tht a lot of guys change springs this way. there have been a couple occasions were I found out there was an easier way to do something after I followed a haynes manual and did it there way.

I am starting to think I should just see how everyone else is doing it on forums like these and ditch the manual from now on!!!!

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
You didn't put jacks under the axles when you lifted it. It's important not to skip that step as you now see lol. (It might not be in the haynes manual?) I put jacks under mine and the holes were less than a cm off so I just pushed on the axles until the holes lined up and that was that.

OP
OP
C

cobra97

Reaction score
That worked, I put the jack under the diff nearrest the drive shaft side and raised it till the bolt holes lined right up!!!! I am now enjoying my new Eibach pro-line lowering spring setup. Car looks better. thanks for all the help and suggestions.

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
That worked, I put the jack under the diff nearrest the drive shaft side and raised it till the bolt holes lined right up!!!! I am now enjoying my new Eibach pro-line lowering spring setup. Car looks better. thanks for all the help and suggestions.

No problem man; glad to hear you are enjoying the new set up. Yeah those axles were drooping without the stands under them. Post pictures of it now!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.