How long should I expect for all these installs?

9646gt

Reaction score
How long do you guys think it would take to install the following? Any tips you can offer? I have never done any of this but the springs. Also anyone have any links to guides for changing this stuff? I think I read the best way to remove the bushings in the control arms are to heat with a torch. Also how hard are balljoints to remove? Do I need to do them with the control arms on the car? Can I just rent some type of press and press them out and back in? Which direction do they press out and in? Thanks a ton in advance!

MM CC plates
Pro-Thane control arms bushings for front
outter tie rod rends
lower ball joints
h&r ss springs

Nightmare

Reaction score
How long do you guys think it would take to install the following? Any tips you can offer? I have never done any of this but the springs. Also anyone have any links to guides for changing this stuff? I think I read the best way to remove the bushings in the control arms are to heat with a torch. Also how hard are balljoints to remove? Do I need to do them with the control arms on the car? Can I just rent some type of press and press them out and back in? Which direction do they press out and in? Thanks a ton in advance!

MM CC plates
Pro-Thane control arms bushings for front
outter tie rod rends
lower ball joints
h&r ss springs

Well there are a few factors that you are leaving out.....do you have help, air/power tools, and will there be beer involved?

as for the springs and camber castor plates....maybe two hours with power tools and a friend.....

for the bushings you are better off getting them pressed out....torching them out takes too much time.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I think the best bet would be to install all that stuff at once, otherwise you're going to be taking things apart multiple times. The ball joints go out the bottom of the control arm, you can loan a tool for free from Autozone (just pay deposit fee)

The camber plates are very easy to install, MM has great instructions. You're looking at a few hours easy for everything depending on how big of a ***** things want to be.

OP
OP

9646gt

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I will be using the auto hobby shop on base so I will have access to air tools thank god lol. I plan to do everything in one day. Can I still press out the bushings and leave the metal sleeve in the control arm? Also OnyxCobra, which orientation did you put your MM cc plates in? Positive or negative? How much camber are you running?

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
Enjoy the bushings... My mechanic friend literally had to take a torch and light them on fire then press them out. Guess it was a bigger pain that yours might be as I ended up doing every single bushing on the car lol

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
OnyxCobra, which orientation did you put your MM cc plates in? Positive or negative? How much camber are you running?

I had to switch them over to negative orientation because of the stupid coilover kit and how low my car is, I'd guess with regular springs you'll be able to run positive orientation just fine. Idk what my camber is, never had the car aligned, but the wheels have a pretty good tilt to them.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
All day. You'll end up having to unbolt the rack most likely to get the lower control arms out Cus the bolts hit the rack and don't come out fully. Like everyon else stated they're a **** to get out. If I were you I would have got 03/04 arms

Slykin

Reaction score
I'd just set aside the whole weekend. If you've never done balljoints before it can be a PITA, though if you're removing the arms it shouldn't be too bad. It only took me a couple hours to do the CC plates. Outer tie rods are really really easy. The worst things will be the bushings/ball joints.. but if you have a friend to help i'm sure you could knock it all out in a day pretty easy.

OP
OP

9646gt

Reaction score
Well look slike I will set aside two days in the auto hobby shop to make sure I have plenty of time. Looks like I will also jsut do inner tie rods since they have 190k miles on them. I thought about getting 03/04 cobra arms but let's be honest, they are about $400 these days due to supply and demand. And I honestly think these Moog suspension parts and prothane bushings are many times better than what Ford uses. And I have heard it only give a small improvement and some say they felt no difference at all. I am hoping since I have access to air tools and presses and stuff at the shop the change will go much easier. Plus being surounded by certified mechanics will help with them giving pointers if I have issues arise. But yeah, I think the hardest part will be getting off the damn A arm bolts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txnszn

Members online