Best alignment specs for handling corners?

9646gt

Reaction score
Coming back to the Mustang world from an s2000, I wnt the car to handle better. Eventually I will do coilovers and such. But for now with MM CC plates and H&R SS springs, what alignment settings give the best grip without eating tires? I ran -2.8 or so on my s2000 but not sure what to do with the stang. If someone could tell me what a good caster camber and toe setting is it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
If your worried about handling I would change out the springs first.

But im sure RR will chime in. Im running -2 camber and am thinking about maxing out caster since my wheels currently sit a tid bit back in my wheel well

OP
OP

9646gt

Reaction score
I'm pretty mush set on the super sport springs since I won't be really competing for a good while. I would like the race springs but they just sit too high. I plan to do coil overs down the road from MM. One odd thing about my 95 I just purchased is the pass side wheel sits much more flush with the rim of the fender than my driver side. The driver side is more sunken into the wheel well. Not sure what's up with that

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
sometimes the solid axel on the sn95s shifts and sits more to one side than the other. Mine does the same thing.

Yea I understand the SS's if you arent competing for some time. What I would go with. I have the races and while it sits high, its lower than stock and keeps the height where it needs to be for the suspension. Plus with my tires I cant really go any lower

Slykin

Reaction score
I think i'm running about -.5 degree of camber is all and 4.5 degrees of caster. My car handles great, but then again i'm running MM Race coil-overs. It won't take much more camber/caster than that to start eating tires in what little experience i've had...

Slykin

Reaction score
I'd imagine the insides of your tires will wear out quick.. but it'll be worth it!

Slykin

Reaction score
Hey, if it works great! I wouldn't mind running some camber like that, but i'm cheap and it isn't worth it for DD'ing lol.

OP
OP

9646gt

Reaction score
sometimes the solid axel on the sn95s shifts and sits more to one side than the other. Mine does the same thing.

Yea I understand the SS's if you arent competing for some time. What I would go with. I have the races and while it sits high, its lower than stock and keeps the height where it needs to be for the suspension. Plus with my tires I cant really go any lower

I was actually referring to the front wheels where the driver side sits in further than the driver side.

Looks like I won't run anymore than -1.5 after all I have been hearing :)

RichV

Reaction score
I just changed my setup for the track. Set caster to max, around 5 deg. Camber to -4, and toe to about 1/4" out. I loved the feel on track. Very solid and confident.

You can do everything except for the camber on the street. Keep it to -1 max IMO. You'll get more tire shred then handling on the street. I would probably not be as aggressive on the toe as well. Turn in on the street is probably not too important EVERY turn.

What do you plan to compete? Any track experience?

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Spoiler alert. Mustang will never handle or feel like S2000. They can be faster, but they will never feel as precise or give you as much feedback as s2k will. Best thing you can do for front end grip is find camber settings that work. There is no such thing as best camber however. You buy a timer, and a pyrometer, go to track and see what works. More camber is not always better

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
if you are looking to just input the specs in at the local alignment shop and be done with it, MM puts specs on their CC-Plate install instructions to optimize the performance of your car. That's what I use.

Obviously if you're really into the corner carving, you may want to do some trial and error.

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
Spoiler alert. Mustang will never handle or feel like S2000. They can be faster, but they will never feel as precise or give you as much feedback as s2k will. Best thing you can do for front end grip is find camber settings that work. There is no such thing as best camber however. You buy a timer, and a pyrometer, go to track and see what works. More camber is not always better

I love this guy..

OP
OP

9646gt

Reaction score
lol I obviously know the Mustang won't be as good in corners as the s2000. I am just looking to make it much more stable. I prefer the Mustang because it actually will require more skill to drive and I think be much more fun. In the s2k you just point the wheels where you want to go and the car does the rest lol. Track days in that car got kind of boring with the whole riding Stangs asses in the corners only to get left way behiond on the straights. And it just felt numb how the car was almost to predictable lol.I won't be competeing for a while since I have a new baby on the way and I am seperating from the Military for medical reasons and won't have much cash till I can finish school. I was simply curious what camber settings people prefer for a street driven car that will see some mountain runs and such. :)

RichV

Reaction score
Exactly my experiences as well. My E30 race car was 'point and shoot', the Mustang you wrestle around the track. But it's fun, loud, and you can oversteer at the snap of a throttle in any corner. :)

They can be made to handle, albeit your driving style has to match. And it takes some parts from MM and a few others.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.