Suspension bottomed out after coilovers.

94RedGt

Reaction score
Hey guys so i finally got the coilovers running but the problem now is that the suspension on the front is bottomed out and the only thing taking on the bumps is a little rubber bushing between the shock and cc plate. The shock are those cheap Gabriel made by Autozone, they are still in good condition so i used them, but it seems that they are to tall so theres not enough clearence for the suspension to move. Is there a special shock out there for lowered cars? Mine is not slam but the tire is pretty much next to the fender maybe half of an inch of space betweem. will fox shocks fit since i have heard that they are a little shorter body wise.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Hey guys so i finally got the coilovers running but the problem now is that the suspension on the front is bottomed out and the only thing taking on the bumps is a little rubber bushing between the shock and cc plate. The shock are those cheap Gabriel made by Autozone, they are still in good condition so i used them, but it seems that they are to tall so theres not enough clearence for the suspension to move. Is there a special shock out there for lowered cars? Mine is not slam but the tire is pretty much next to the fender maybe half of an inch of space betweem. will fox shocks fit since i have heard that they are a little shorter body wise.

Fox shocks will work and I guess would give you a bit more room to go lower.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
you need an adjustable shock. one that you can adjust the rebound and stiffness. slam it lower/adjust the shock rebound and stiffness, lol.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
That would help somewhat

I guess the fox ones are and inch or two shorter so it should give him another inch or 1.5 of travel on the strut before it bottoms out.

Ive got fox ones and my car would lay on the ground about with more to go as far as strut travel lol

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yea I run fox shocks and struts with my coilovers I got the strange 10 ways

Slykin

Reaction score
I'm running SN95 shocks/struts on coil-overs and I never bottom out.. if you're bottoming out you need stiffer springs/better struts. I can run it draggin the exhaust without bottoming out.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
huh, didnt know that. thaat might have been good for me when i first started dropping my car.....good to know though

chrisv_10

Reaction score
Why not just buy aftermarket shocks that were designed for lowered vehicles made specifically for your year make and model. Sounds right to me. idk. Tokico hp struts are the most affordable and I hear good reviews with them. Those stock replacement gabriel shocks are not doing their job at all because they are too long. They are made for vehicles with "STOCK" suspension. They are probably already worn out.

Slykin

Reaction score
Chris has a good point. I know when my car was lowered on eibach sportlines it very quickly killed my stock struts. If you throw on stock equivalents you're probably just going to ruin them by lowering to the ground.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Everyone always talks about running fox shocks, but i'm not so sure.. seems like half a** fix to me, but I have no experience with em, so i'll concede. MM claims they have less bump travel and more excessive droop travel. If it works, it works I guess.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=tech_struts_shocks_sn95shocks_foxchassis

Running fox struts shocks is not a "half ass fix" at all.

They are designed for a car with less suspension travel which is exactly what you need when you lower your sn95.

You can buy performance fox shocks as well. They just plain work better with lowered SN95 cars

chrisv_10

Reaction score
Running fox struts shocks is not a "half ass fix" at all.

They are designed for a car with less suspension travel which is exactly what you need when you lower your sn95.

You can buy performance fox shocks as well. They just plain work better with lowered SN95 cars

They are designed for a fox because they have shorter control arms than the sn95s.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
i wanna see pics of how low ya got it adjusted. if you still have a 1/2" of gap and your on 18's looks like with a decent size sidewall you shouldnt even be close to bottoming out at all! not even close!

which tells me you have no where near stiff enough shocks. even cheap weak springs prolly wouldnt let you travel that far to actually bottom out. i'd say you are in need of adjustable or stiffer shock. less compresion travel...

Slykin

Reaction score
i wanna see pics of how low ya got it adjusted. if you still have a 1/2" of gap and your on 18's looks like with a decent size sidewall you shouldnt even be close to bottoming out at all! not even close!

When I had eibach sportlines I bottomed out on EVERYTHING.

chrisv_10

Reaction score

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
When I had eibach sportlines I bottomed out on EVERYTHING.
are we talking about bottoming out as in complete colapse of the suspension or scraping the ground, lol. because when i had sportlines i could ramp shit and not bottom out, lol! like a fuggin lift kit!

or maybe it was the pro kit....cant remember. but maybe a shave off the rear bumpstop. could be bottoming out on that and just thinks it's up front.

Slykin

Reaction score
The article says it's better to use SN95 shocks/struts on a fox. Not the other way around.

I know, that's why I posted that. I guess I should have made that more clear.

Edit: Yeah Tony, my rear axle would hit the snubber in the back.. the front didn't quite hit, but man that back end would slam.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txcoqi

Members online