If you got/had polished wheels?

188slo50

Reaction score
For the money compared to chrome you can save a good bit buying polished. Is it worth it to get polished wheels and keep up on the maintenace or would you spend the extra money for chrome?

2v_takeover

Reaction score
Gotta spend time keeping chrome maintained as well so I think it's your choice really. Spend some extra time when you first get the polished, polish them some more, then wheel sealant perhaps.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Polished is nicer IMO. Chrome once it peels its done you can restore polished wheels even if they get bad

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
Polished wheels will be more work to keep in top shining condition but like said you can buff them out if you get a scratch or curb rash, if something happens to your chrome wheel you might as well buy a new wheel. If you get polished wheels you may want to invest in one of those power ball things, should make polishing them much easier.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
i'm a weirdo cause i actually like polishing aluminum wheels...or any kinda billet or polished aluminum..haha! but to me polished aluminum wheels are usually nicer quality made wheels and last as long as you want them. poished aluminum or billet wheels are usually more $$ than chrome.

and most high end wheels arent even chrome. just polished aluminum. 2-3 piece forged wheels are fn expensive and polished aluminum.

i like chrome but def prefer polished aluminum. you can fix things on an aluminum wheel. chrome...eehhhh??

OP
OP

188slo50

Reaction score
I found some polished saleen 18x9/10 for $450 wheels only and try to decide if there worth it cause they've been neglected for some time but have no damage.

joekd

Reaction score
Cheap polished wheels will be the biggest headache ever, years ago I have a set of Eagle brand polished saleens, those things needed to be repolished every single month or else they would be dull and discolored

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
First time you make the mistake of spraying a so-called "polihed wheel cleaner" on a hot wheel will be the exact moment you wish you had painted or chrome wheels.

RichV

Reaction score
My friend has a powder coating shop. He says he has a clear designed for polished wheels, claims you'll never have to polish again. Not sure how well it holds up to engine stuff, but may be worth a shot.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
^i would never want a clear coat over aluminum. all i think of with a clear finish over aluminum is scratches and chips.

2lowsn

Reaction score
^+1. maybe if i were extremely lazy or could'nt bend very well i would try some sort of clear finish over wheels but aluminum wheels that are machine polished need no clear. just a polish by hand every once and a while.

OP
OP

188slo50

Reaction score
mmmm Billet wheels....

pics of those polished Saleens? It should be a relatively easy wheel to polish.

c4426157-cf32-4e86-af53-0b5bd908f320_2.jpg

7865b6a7-e0b6-4e32-afa2-611bfd393fbf_2.jpg

Thats about the best pics I have of the condition. I think I can get them like new again cause I use to polish motorcycle frames from scatch along time ago. Worried if I can get them cheaper and the amount of up keep on them since the cars my DD and Im on a budget.

OP
OP

188slo50

Reaction score
Well I just looked on ebay and found some brand new Replica wheels for $50 so I guess there not worth it and I can just start fresh for $50 more!

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
if the $50 saleens turn out to be BS....which idk man, kinda crazy for new wheels...haha!

spend some time on those ones ya have already. if ya wanna know how to get them looking great again lemme know....

all ya need is 300 grit sand paper, 600 gritt, 2000, scotch brite pad, never dull, polish compound for aluminum.....and BLING :)

OP
OP

188slo50

Reaction score
I dont have any wheels yet the ones pictured are for sale for $450 and the finish needs to be brought back. I looked on ebay and found a brand new set for $50 more than the ones that need refinishing. Ill see what bottom dollar I can get them for bought it looks that it may not be worth the time. Ill keep you posted on what I find out. Also I have a way easier way to polish than the sanding method that a friend of mine showed me. Pm me your email and Ill send it to you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrowdKiller

Members online

No members online now.