H&R SS no isos and front 275 rubs under lock

9646gt

Reaction score
So put the H&R springs on this weekend with no issos of course but wrapped the spings in some thin rubber. Any ways, under near full lock and at full lock in what seems to happen with or without weight transferring over that tire, my driver side front 275 rubs on something. Have not been able to inverstigate just what yet. Haven't really had a chance to see if the pass side does it. Neither did it with the old eibach pro kit of course. Anyone else had this issue? Did you fix it without running a smaller tire? I don't remember the exact profile of the tire but will look tmrw. Maybe even just a lower profile tire will fix it. What size front tire have you guys ran with no rubbing? My front rims are 17x9 and my back are 17x10.5 with 315's.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
It's probably rubbing on the sway bar. Mine does it to with 255's. but only at full lock. And I'm only at full lock when I'm at very low speeds. So I don't worry about it.
If it bothers you and you want to continue to run 275's then your options are 1/4"-1/2" wheel spacers or steering limiters.

OP
OP

9646gt

Reaction score
I was actually considering wheel spacers. but I think I will wait till it's aligned with some negative camber to see if ti helps any at all. Which size spacer would work best without having issues with fender clearance or sticking out too far? I am guessing this would also mean running a rear spacer if I don't want it to look odd. I never had this problem on my 01 GT and I think I was running 275's on the front of it too. Is it just these older sn95's?

JoshHooten

Reaction score
I dont see how some of you guys run 275's on the front, I just run 245's on an 8 incher. thats the main reason I have been hesitant on getting some 9in wide front wheels.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
isnt 275's up front a little too wide? i'm running 275's in the rear and cant imagine them up front, lol.

RichV

Reaction score
My 275s don't rub at all. I run the H&R Race Springs, and don't have any rubbing. I do have the fender liners removed. 17x9 03 Cobras and MB Competition 17x9.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Tony, your running 20's and that's why you can't run 275 up front.
This spring I got 315's for the back and just for giggles I put my old 275's on the front and drove around for a couple weeks like that. Car felt more stable and had less understeer on off ramps. The 9" wheels brought the tires right to the lip of the front fender. If the tires had more tread left I would still have them on. The tires still rubbed the sway bar at full lock whether I had the 255's or 275's.

OP, I don't know if your going to want to run a spacer and 275's since it will push the wheel and tire outside of the fender.

sn95gtvert

Reaction score
i run 275's on 17x9's on all four corners. i have a 1" spacer in the rear to flush out the look. a decent amount of drop with little to no rubbing issues. passenger side front rubs the swaybar at lock when entering or exiting steep inclines.

rears rub the fender lip. well did before a rolled them.

i've run 225's on 16x7, 225's on 17x9, 255's on 17x9, and now 275s on 17x9.

the 275 feels the best on the road and in the curves, but they do fallow ruts in the freeway a bit more.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
yea ccs i just googled 275's on the front. guess it's not as crazy wide as i imagined. in my mind i thought it would baloon way past the fenders, lol. dont look bad. prolly would feel pretty stable up front on a 9" wheel.

Nightmare

Reaction score
I have 17x9's in the front and 17x10.5's in the rear.....every now and then, under lock and low speeds I will hear a "clunk" and am showing slight rubbing on the front. I have seen people use bump steer kits and "locks" to eliminat this problem. I also dont rub at all in the rear, but the pass side tire is rather close to the exhaust.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
have you guys actually confirmed that you're rubbing on the sway bar? i don't recall ever having rubbing issues until recently but im running about a 3" drop with 265 tires up front granted they are slightly shorter than stock but that shouldnt matter for swaybar clearance. i think its rubbing slightly on the fender liner at full lock now but havent confirmed it yet.

9838stang

Reaction score
I have 265/35/18's and i have no issue what so ever with it rubbing lock to lock on either side, and i have h&r ss springs isos cc plates and bumpsteer kit.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yea it very well could be the liner. With my 20's and my canned as low as you could go with coilovers it would only get the slightest rub on the fender liners at full lock so I basically would never rub.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I'm under mine fairly often. There is definately rubber on the sway bar. Not a lot, just more like a light rubbing. I can't even feel it in the car.

OP
OP

9646gt

Reaction score
Ok guys sorry for the delay. I am going to need to find a safe sized spacer for sure. I DON'T want to use rack limiters and limit my steering any. I looked under the car and it seems the tire is rubbing the black plastic side flap thing under there. Was going to just trim that back but then I also confirmed the rim itself seems to be rubbing the damn lower control arm and grinding it :( It happens a little before full lock I think. I haven't checked the pass side yet. I have noticed the driver side wheel seems to sit deeper in the wheel well and I have no idea how that is possible. I had an alignment done today with a camber setting of -1.2 for better handling and it still rubs.

What size spacer do you guys think I can use on the front without the tire hitting the fender lip? I want to say it would take less than a 1/2 inch spacer to make the room needed. But of course I don't want to order multiple spacers and waste money. The only reason I can think of for the driver side wheel sitting further in is either 1. My imagination or two maybe the brake rotors are different brands and have a slightly different height where the wheel actually mounts to them?

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
when my 275's were on the car I noticed the same thing as you. 1 side sits out further than the other. wierd,

OP
OP

9646gt

Reaction score
Glad I am not the only one that has one wheel looking like it sits in farther lol. To update. I rechecked both sides and I must have been looking at something else because there is NO contact with the control arms. It was only rubbing those plastic things. I trimmed those back som eand no more rubbing so far! Yay :)

OP
OP

9646gt

Reaction score
well heard some rubbing again at full lock on driver side. Guess I will check it again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online