anyone cut lowering springs ??

xs man 27

Reaction score
hey guys i got a ? about anyone who cut a coil or two etc on aftermarkert lowering springs ? when i bought my car it had already had aftermarket suspension put on ( springs shocks struts ) and is lowered about a lil over an inch however i am just curious to see if anyone that had bought lowering springs and wasn't happy with the outcome and cut there springs to lower it more. i m not looking for a crazy amount to be lowered but if people who did cut them how is the ride compared to how it was ? being the springs and shocks are all in good condition and and aftermarket i dont necc. wanna go buy new springs if i can cut a coil off and poss take the iso's out and achieve it being it lowered that way, however i m undecided w the iso bc of the mix debate over it, unfort i dont have access to put the isos on and off myself if i didnt like how it rode wo them in.. wish i had stock suspension would make my decison a lot easier and just get h&r springs and be done with it lol... thanks again guys for your input..

Nightmare

Reaction score
I am not a fan of cutting any springs. Some people swear by it, however I ended up passing on a 23,000 mile 99 cobra with a procharger and cut coils. The car rode for crap.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
Depending on the springs sometimes you can cut them with little to no change to them. If you really want H&R springs then just buy them.

Snakebitten96

Reaction score
What year is your car? Do you know what springs? I'l have to get rid of mine because I was a dumbass and went with 275/45 and now my driver side is rubbing my tires. Ill trade you for my cut springs here's how the stance looks... They were cut 2 inches
5a2yre3e.jpg

ty7a5egy.jpg

These pics are with the old tires, dry rotted and completely bald 275/40

Pm me if you may be interested.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
i have cut coils to the point of having to spot weld them in to keep them from falling out over big bumps, lol. and now i have h&r's with no isos, and almost 2 coils cut up front. no probs whatsoever. rides good and fender rolling avoids the tire rub :)

OP
OP
X

xs man 27

Reaction score
my car is a 95 gt vert. i m trying to weigh my option of buying H&R and install on them rather than just figuring out another way to get lower three quaters of an inch.. i dont want it too low to where i cant pull in driveways etc .. thanks again guys

Ninety8stang

Reaction score
I have a set of bbk's that I put in the rear of my car over 2 years ago that I cut nearly a coil off of. Just as long as you have a progressive rate spring it really doesn't compromise ride as long as you have some decent shocks under it. My dad had a 99 cobra with stock 03 cobra front springs that he cut to his desired ride height with a set of bilsteins and it rode a hell of a lot smoother than my mild coilover set up. Haha

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
In terms of using springs, I think Tony might have the lowest around here so I would definitely be more inclined to cut springs, even half a coil, if he can do 2 and be fine lol

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
yea 2 coils on the top in the front is essentially removing dead coils. brings ya down pretty low but not bumper scrapping low

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I think you're actually better off cutting a linear rate spring than you are a progressive spring from what I've gathered. That and if your spring has dead coils at the top of them cutting those shouldn't change much of anything because they are essentially space fillers.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Jones you fit IT's springs on your old car?? Didn't know they were interchangeable.. I cut half a coil off the rear springs in my 95..

2lowsn

Reaction score
I alway wondered if fox body springs would work. I know they can use struts and shocks. If you used the coils would it lower your 94 to 98?

JoshHooten

Reaction score
It does depend on the springs. I have ford c springs front and rear are cut. It drives perfect not rough at all.
Same springs before they were cut.
DSCN0122.jpg

after
003.png

Rice_slayer

Reaction score
My car *pic in sig* is cut 1 coil in the front, untouched rear for drag racing. Rides WAAAAAYYYY better than the stiff POS H&R race springs I had in it and it's as smooth as stock! As long as you have a linear spring, you're fine. It's people who HEAT springs and cut PROGRESSIVE rate springs that have bouncy, chopping, and terrible all around quality that gives cutting springs a bad name. It was probably the best thing I've done appearance wise on my car, and track wise, I cut high 1.6x 60s with this set up with just MM LCAs and Tokico Illuimina 5 ways on it :). Here's the tuturial I used from SVTP
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/how-230/626015-complete-how-cut-your-stock-springs-thread.html

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrowdKiller

Members online