Course of action? Brakes Related

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Took my mustang gt out of the garage today, drove it around and the brakes started to get mushy. I started to loose confidence in stopping power on the street so I brought it home. I gave the brake pedal a double pump and BAM, heard pressure escaping. Looked at the front caliper and lines fine, looked at the rear and saw the brake fluid leaking over my right rear muffler. What should I do guys? and what type of major repair im looking at...

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
replace the lines, fill your fluid, see if you can bleed the rear caliper.

If it leaks, replace it.

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
If its a rubber line that would actually calm my nerves a bit, but i'm afraid its are hard line.

Are hard lines hard to replace on these vehicles, never had this problem before ever.

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
My mac mufflers have been hitting the chasis for a while, and what I think happened is it hit one of the hard lines over the axle. It really blows...

RichV

Reaction score
Depending on location you may be able to repair it. Just buy a line coupling, but some flaring will be necessary. But either way, fix the muffler issue.

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Never heard of these terms lol. Anyone want to explain? Flaring like expanding the line?

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
do you have ABS?

if you have no ABS, dont worry. its not a huge deal. There are only three things to look for in that case:
#1: the cross-over brake line from the driver's rear to the passenger's rear (goes up over the diffy.)
#2: the junction-box and rubber line to the caliper.
#3: the bleed-valve.

If you do have ABS, the lines may be run different and I'm not sure of the process.

SO, you've got some great advice here in the thread... get a double-flaring tool and some lines.
Things to buy:
#1) Brake line cutting wheel
#2) brake line double-flaring tool.
#3) Brake line.
#4) a Brake line bending tool.
#5) Brake fluid.
#6) can of brake-clean.
#7) beer for your buddy who will help you bleed the system.

Straight lines are super cheep. Get lots of them so you can practice flaring them and bending them...
Simply remove the bad line and use it as a template. Chances are since the car was parked it rusted through, so it should all be in once piece.
I suggest buying at least one extra stick of line and practice flaring, cutting, flaring, cutting, flaring, cutting. Nothing sucks more than getting your whole line done then messing up the last flare. DOH! >.< LOL!

Once you've got the process down, make your new line. Keep in mind when you remove the old one you may drain the entire system of its fluid.
Once its done, simply install it. If the junction-box or rubber lines are bad, you can buy those replacements new from ford. Or, you can get stainless lines from Maximum Motorsports, Stang Suspension, etc.etc.

Once its all re-assembled, fill the res. on the master cylinder with fluid. Start bleeding the brake system of air by opening the bleeder valves on each caliper. there are also two bleeders on the master cylinder itself, dont forget those...

once you've bled the brakes and they have a solid push to them, start the car, turn the wheel from side to side and continue to push the pedal. if they still feel solid, consider yourself a pro! :-D

Once you've decided that the brakes are completely back in working order, wash the entire area down with tap water (garden hose?)... Brake fluid breaks-down in water. If the fluid stays on the paint, it will flake away the clear coat. So, be sure to SOAK it down...

once it air-drys use the brake-clean on the rotors/calipers to remove any oils from your hands and re-assemble the car entirely.

Tip: Keep the res. on the master cylinder closed until you drain/fill/bleed the system. As I said, brake fluid breaks down with water, and this includes the humidity in the air.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
if you need help on how to bleed the air, let us know... we can help, or there are probably 1,000,000 videos on youtube of how to do it.

the key is to be patient. Get lots of beer and lots of pizza. It took us 3 days to bleed my brakes entirely. since your system wont be 100% purged like mine was, yours may take 10 minutes, it may take 4 hours. Just take your time, as a mushy air-bubble is not ideal.

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I dont know if I am going to be working on it myself. Just pay one of my close friends to do it right the first time. I have feeling that it either got hit or rusted through over the axle. It must be a very small pin hole because it only leak under hard brake pressure. It is still scary that the car doesn't stop in time.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
sounds like a rust issue... not a biggy. and just have your friend teach you... teach a man to fish, he'll eat for a year. ... .. or something like that.

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
sounds like a rust issue... not a biggy. and just have your friend teach you... teach a man to fish, he'll eat for a year. ... .. or something like that.

Lmao! I get your point. This afternoon I was kind of down, but I just brush it off as something to fix. Thanks for giving me insight on what I am looking at mustang chris.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
np amigo. its what we'er here for....

this is totally something you can do.... just let us know where youre struggling!

greenscobie86

Reaction score
Had that happen... Brake lines are easy to replace. Just figure out weather its the flex hose or a hard line and repair accordingly.

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Had that happen... Brake lines are easy to replace. Just figure out weather its the flex hose or a hard line and repair accordingly.

My gut feeling is hardline. I felt the brake pedal get weaker and weaker until it sounded like pressure was escaping. I think I am going to jack up the rear end with some jack stands so I can atleast see whats going on. I just pulled it into the garage because I was just mad that happened now.

Can the car still stop even though the brake pedal goes all the way to the bottom? Every time I push it to the floor it squirts fluid out so I got to make sure the Master doesn't get low before I have bigger problems.

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
give a man a fish. feed him for a day. teach a man to fish and hell get a fishhook caught in his eyelid or something like that

Lmao. I'm going to take a few pictures next week when I get the rear on jack stands. Whoever has this problem in the future can use this thread as reference.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrowdKiller

Members online