Tired of my shocks, i think?!?

Vengeance

Reaction score
So i bought this car used a few months ago (about 7) and the previous owner put some bran new shocks on before he sold it to me (Tokico D spec) and i dont know if its the shocks or the Eibach sportlines but the suspension is to stiff for my liking.

I had another mustang prior to this that had lowering springs (dont know what brand) with kyb gr2's and i loved it.

Should i try to sell the tokico's and get some kyb's, or is there another shock you can recommend that will be soft for the crappy California streets that wont break the bank.

OR should i save my pennies and get a nice set of coilovers? Or will thoes be just as bumpy? (i had a set of coilover on a SRT4 neon and the thing handled awesome but was bumpy as shit)

Leaning towards the kyb's though

OP
OP
Vengeance

Vengeance

Reaction score
should probably mention that, the rest of the suspension is stock, but i am riding on 18in fr500 with falkin rt615's.

RichV

Reaction score
I would make sure you know what springs you have. Are the D-Specs adjustable? IIRC, they are.

Find out what's on there 1st, 100%. I would go with a set of progressive rate springs, nothing stiffer than 650ish in the front if you end up changing springs.

And I may be interested in those D-Specs if you end up sellin'. :)

95riosnake

Reaction score
Might be a dumb question, but have you tried adjusting the shocks? D-specs are adjustable...you just have to have an adjustment key.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have D spec tokico's on mine. They are adjustable but it makes a very minor change to the ride, mostly only makes a difference on the track. I'm not sure if its the tokico shocks since ive never had anything else but my ride is extremely stiff. But personally I like the stiff ride, i dont find it too uncomfortable.

I think its pretty hard to have a smooth ride once you start lowering it and upgrading the suspension. If you've had good luck with kyb's you should try them again.

Slykin

Reaction score
Sportlines are actually the same as the stock spring rate I believe, just shorter. The problem is that they have little travel left, and you may be hitting your bumpstops. If you're NOT hitting the bumpstops, your shocks/struts are probably pretty stiff.

OP
OP
Vengeance

Vengeance

Reaction score
RichV: the springs are sportlines, and yes the shocks are adjustable :) i would gladly sell them to you but that would require me to ship them and shipping is ridiculous cost wise :(

95riosnake: i have adjusted them, and it helps but still kinda uncomfortable.

Orange 94: you are right, the lower you make the car, the lower the comfort level. Do coilovers offer a better ride quality with the lower height?

Slykin: I dont hit any bumpstop, so the shocks are pretty dam stiff, not as bad as i have been in, but still pretty bad.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have no experience with coilovers. They suppose to be an improvement for performance, but i have no idea what the difference in comfort would be.

I'm sure theres someone on here if you keep your eye open that can give you a good review on coilovers.

OP
OP
Vengeance

Vengeance

Reaction score
Its just the springs man.. swap them out for the H&R super sports. Theyre progressive and ride really well. The tokico d specs are an awesome shock and strut.. So i would definitely hold onto them.
You can always get the coil over kit from MM for those shocks and struts to..
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/s...e=product_info&cPath=514_2_78&products_id=507

hey thanks man thats pretty sweet, so you think its the sportlines that make my ride so stiff and bumpy, a set of progressive springs will make the ride softer. i will look into that. thank you

Slykin

Reaction score
Coil overs do help with ride.. i'm running really stiff coil-over springs up front and it still rides decent. They're not budget minded though.

OP
OP
Vengeance

Vengeance

Reaction score
On American Muscle, it says sport lines are progressive, maybe when I have spare cash I will get thoes mm coilover conversion kit since I have tokico already

Cpotts13

Reaction score
On American Muscle, it says sport lines are progressive, maybe when I have spare cash I will get thoes mm coilover conversion kit since I have tokico already

hmmm my bad. That would be the best route though forsure

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrowdKiller

Members online

No members online now.