How-To: Replace Ball Joints

Slykin

Reaction score
As the title says, this is a write up on how to replace ball joints. A lot of people are scared of doing this, and possibly for good reason. I just finished my fourth one, and honestly, it wasn't very hard. The problem comes with having no experience using the the ball joint press, and knowing where to put your jacks etc. I think I have it down fairly well, so hopefully you guys will go out and replace your balljoints. Getting a shop to do it is expensive.

Tools Needed:
Wrenches up through 1-1/16 and through 21MM
A small 1/2 inch impact wrench
A ball joint press. You can rent these from Autozone. They cost $100, but you get all of your money back when you return it.
An air compressor
Jack stands and floor jacks
Mini-sledge
Claw hammer or any small hammer
Small needle nose pliers
Grease gun.

First off: Properly raise your car up on jack stands. DO NOT use just floor jacks, as this is dangerous. Make sure to that the bottom of your control arm is at least 2ft off of the ground. This will ensure that you have room to fit the ball joint press under the balljoint. If you do not get it high enough, you will have to raise it later, which is a pain, and not particularly safe.

1) Once the car is off of the ground with the wheel removed, the first step is to remove your brake caliper. To do this you need to remove the clip on the back side of this pin.

Photo0476.jpg

Remove it with some needle nose pliers, and be sure to put it back on the pin once the pin is removed.

Photo0477.jpg

Use something similar to bailing wire to hang your caliper off of any hole/bolt in the fenderwell. Do not let it hang by the brake hose, this can damage it, especially if it is a steel braided line.
Photo0478.jpg

2) Now you need to remove remove your brake caliper bracket. There are two 15MM bolts on the back side of the rotor that are loc-tited in. Just be tough with them, they'll come out. Be sure to loc-tite them back in when you reassemble.
Photo0480.jpg

Now remove the rotor. It may need a lot of beating with a hammer to break the rust. Make sure if you hit it, to hit the hat(middle of the rotor) or the edges of the rotor. Do not hit the braking surface. I've found hitting the edge works best, just try not to destroy the rotor. You'll be left with this.

Photo0483.jpg

This would also be a good time to remove some of the grime that is built up around your ABS rings etc. Hit them with a wire brush, and I like to scrape off stuff with a screwdriver.. Makes me happy.

Photo0484.jpg

The removed grime.
Photo0485.jpg

3) Now is a good time to put a floor jack under your control arm. You have to do this before you remove your sway bar end links and strut, or else
your spring might fly out of the control arm and kill you. Seriously. As you can see, my car is not as high off of the ground as your car should be. This is because I was also replacing my springs at the time and was able to lift up my control arm farther.

Photo0486.jpg

4) Remove your strut from the spindle. I believe the bolts were 21MM on one side and 15/16 on the other, but don't hold me to that. You will also have to remove the ABS bracket. Should be 15/16. Once again,
make sure your floor jack is under the control arm and supporting it before you do this.

Photo0487.jpg

OP
OP
Slykin

Slykin

Reaction score
4) Now remove the sway bar end link. It takes at least one 15MM deep socket. Sometimes two are necessary if the whole end link spins on you.
Photo0491.jpg

Photo0492.jpg

5) Now we get to the ball joint. The next step is remove the lock nut from the top of the ball joint. Get a big hairy 15/16 wrench and use your feet. It will be pretty stuck on there. The ball joint will not spin in the socket though since ball joints have tapered studs into the spindle.

100_6203.jpg

Go ahead and spray some liquid wrench or PB Blaster on the stud.

100_6204.jpg

6) As my sorry picture represents, beat on the top of ball joint to break it free from the spindle. Just don't hold it like this.
I was able to break it free with this hammer. Any bigger and it probably won't fit in the fenderwell.

100_6205.jpg

7) Lift the spindle off, and hang it from some more bailing wire. Try to avoid having it at huge angles in relation to the steering rack.

100_6206.jpg

8) Now it's party time!!! Get out the lovely ball joint press! In the box you will find several metal discs, cylindrical thingy ma-bobbers, and a giant C-Clamp. First, grab the disc with the larger hole in the middle and place it over the top of the ball joint with the "stepped" side down. The other side fits to the inside of the C-Clamp end.

100_6207.jpg

100_6208.jpg

9) Now grab the largest cylinder and place it on the stepped side of the disc with the small hole in the middle. This will fit on the end of the screw in the C-Clamp, and will encapsulate the bottom of the ball joint. Getting the clamp on all of this can be tricky by yourself, if necessary, purchase a buddy to help. I find they usually only cost a couple packs of Coors.

100_6211.jpg

100_6216.jpg

100_6217.jpg

OP
OP
Slykin

Slykin

Reaction score
9) Stick your impact onto the end of the press and hammer away. I was running my impact at 100P.S.I. and it didn't come out easy. Just hammer on it for a while, it will come out eventually.

100_6218.jpg

100_6219.jpg

10) Clean that nastiness.

100_6220.jpg

100_6221.jpg

11) Now is a good time to take a break and drink some beers. The hard part is about to start. This is when you'll be especially in need of a 3rd or 4th hand. BE PATIENT.

12) It is now time to put your new(hopefully Moog) ball joint into the control arm. Put the medium cylinder onto the stepped side of the disc with the large hole. This will sit over top of the ball joint hole in the control arm.

100_6224.jpg

13) Take the ball joint and light tap it into the control arm so you don't have to hold it up there. Make sure that you tap it in fairly evenly.

100_6226.jpg

14) Put the small holed disc against the bottom of the ball joint. One of the sides has a "step" that fits the size of the bottom of the ball joint almost perfectly.

100_6225.jpg

15) Fit the C-Clamp over the whole contraption. Now, the ball joint will probably not go straight in. It will probably be cock-eyed. Do not worry about this too much, just keep hammering on it with the C-Clamp and have your buddy hit the bottom of the disc(that's under the ball joint) with a hammer on the side that hasn't gone in as far as you hit it with the impact. You will probably need to stop and let your air supply get back up to pressure. Unless the ball joint is REALLY out of line, just keep hammering/impacting it. It will seem like it isn't going anywhere, but it should get there. If it's waay out of line, push the ball joint out like you did with the old one and try again. Eventually you will get it in, albeit with a bit of swearing and lots of beer.

100_6227.jpg

100_6228.jpg

16) Take a picture of your ugly mug. You'll probably be angry and tired. THIS IS REQUIRED.

100_6229-1.jpg

17) Lastly, tap the ball joint boot on with a hammer and screw the grease zirk in the bottom of the ball joint. Usually you'll just have to screw the zirk in crooked, they don't tap threads in them I think.

100_6233.jpg

18) Reassemble everything the way it came. When you tighten the spindle down onto the ball joint there may be specifications in the instructions... or just tighten it until the castle nut(1-1/16) allows the cotter pin to fit through. Make sure it's tight. Also, make sure to grease the ball joint AFTER tightening down the spindle or else the grease will just pour out the top of the boot.

YOU ARE DONE. CONGRATULATIONS.

OP
OP
Slykin

Slykin

Reaction score
Thanks. I figured with the amount of people asking about balljoints that someone might benefit from this.

GMSMOKR

Reaction score
Good point...But you was like "Johnny on the spot" with write up Lol..:)

OP
OP
Slykin

Slykin

Reaction score
I already had it done on a different website haha, I just copied it over.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
this thread makes my stomach hurt. i dont ever want to replace another ball joint for the rest of my fn life :mad:

these things were a PITA! lol. awesome write up though.

Echo

Reaction score
Did not realize this was such a difficult thing to do. My friend said he could replace mine for me, but I'm not thinking I trust him to do this now...

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
When i did mine i had hell torquing the nut down.. The whole thing would turn.. I can't remember How many things i kicked and threw at them. Other than that out was not bad at all.

OP
OP
Slykin

Slykin

Reaction score
When i did mine i had hell torquing the nut down.. The whole thing would turn.. I can't remember How many things i kicked and threw at them. Other than that out was not bad at all.

That's odd, I just tapped the spindle onto the tapered stuff far enough that it wouldn't turn. That definitely would be aggravating if it kept turning on you, especially being that close to done with the whole project...

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
I even tried using the tool to press the spindle down on the ball joint it pressed the ball joint back out. I had to take a beak after that... Im using the X2 didn't think it would make a difference but never had that issue before.

Nightmare

Reaction score
Awesome write Up! I thought the next post would of been "call up tony and have him do it"

justi88

Reaction score
Nice writeup, but seems very hard. I cant just go and rent the balljoint press. I guess i will just have to leave it at a shop

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
Very helpful write-up..

When i needed ball joints i got 03 cobra arms as they were as cheap as ball joints back then..Now they want a Liver and Arm for a pair.

Easiest task on a mustang, ask [MENTION=8860]Win[/MENTION] LMAO!

OP
OP
Slykin

Slykin

Reaction score
I even tried using the tool to press the spindle down on the ball joint it pressed the ball joint back out. I had to take a beak after that... Im using the X2 didn't think it would make a difference but never had that issue before.

That sounds like a PITA... not that these aren't already a pain. I'm assuming you got it working though.

Awesome write Up! I thought the next post would of been "call up tony and have him do it"

I was into balljoints before balljoints were cool bro LOL. Tony asked me questions :p

thanks for the write up man :)

No problem, just trying to be helpful!

Nice writeup, but seems very hard. I cant just go and rent the balljoint press. I guess i will just have to leave it at a shop

It's definitely not a fun job, but it is cheaper. Though, if you can't get the balljoint press i'm not sure what you'd do. Leaving with the shop probably is the best option...

Very helpful write-up..

When i needed ball joints i got 03 cobra arms as they were as cheap as ball joints back then..Now they want a Liver and Arm for a pair.

Easiest task on a mustang, ask Win LMAO!

I hate doing balljoints lol.. i've done 4 of them so far in my life and none of them were enjoyable. I do wish that they 03 cobra arms weren't expensive, that would make things a lot easier. Nowadays they cost almost as much as good tubular arms.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrowdKiller

Members online