cobra brake upgrade rotor question ??

xs man 27

Reaction score
sorry for the new b question but I just wanna buy the right set of rotors.. my question is I got a 95 gt vert that previous owner had put on and upgraded the gt brakes to cobra brakes,, however I m looking into slotted and dimpled rotors for my car, being the brakes on there now are cobra calipers do I need to purchase rotors for my year gt or cobra ?

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
Get some Centrics from Rockauto. Stay the hell away from the box store econo brand like Duralast or whatever Advance/Napa sell you'll have runout problems like a mofo. Any 13" rotors from 94-04 will work. However if you DO go to one of the local stores and get a better brand like Raybestos or whatever, just tell them you have a Cobra to avoid a lot of confusion from the idiot behind the counter. Better yet, go armed with part numbers from their website.

OP
OP
X

xs man 27

Reaction score
thank you all for the replys. I have not gotten a chance to look at the brakes master cylinder.. what the deal with the black slotted and dimpled rotors ??? I read some where that they don't stay black and peel off after 50 miles or so ? dunno how true that is etc.. maybe it was just the one type of rotor... thanks again

RichV

Reaction score
For what it's worth, slotted and dimpled look cool, but don't pay extra. Also note that they cannot be surfaced if they warp.

When I had GT brakes I had CHEAP 11" blanks that lasted 4+ seasons with no warpage, got 1 good stress crack on the driver side. When I upgraded to 13" brakes I went with $80/each NAPA 'premium' rotors and they warped after about 3 weekends. Weird.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
if they painted the hub black, it will probably flake off. the only way to keep the hub truely black is to powder coat them.

as for dimpled rotors, they are the best option to go with the exception of slotted rotors. drilled rotors have a few problems:

#1) Unless the are specifically designed they offer no cooling advantages as the air wont take advantage of the surface area. -- Most off the shelf drilled rotors have the holes placed for the cheapest production, not with R&D backing them.

#2) they can crack. from hole-to-hole or from hole-to-edge.

#3) they reduce the mass of the rotor (which is a good thing for acceleration and stopping.) BUT by removing this mass the heat-transfer gets pushed to the caliper faster than if the rotor were to absorb it. Once the calipers heat, the fluid heats. etc. etc. etc.

... anyways... if you want the hubs to stay black - powdercoat.

Mustanger

Reaction score
Baer decelarotors look good & hold up for me. I love the bling! Cheaper than the Eradispeeds which are much more expensive but have the center black coated, & are two piece.

my Cobra/Bullitt/Mach 1 upgrade

IMG_0141.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
Slotted/drilled/whatever is honestly a waste of money unless you are road racing and even then... Regular 13" Centric rotors up front and the rears are all the same size.

Cpotts13

Reaction score
Baer decelarotors look good & hold up for me. I love the bling! Cheaper than the Eradispeeds which are much more expensive but have the center black coated, & are two piece.

COUGH COUGH* Bear Eradispeed 2 piece rotors here! And I love them!!
2012-12-29_15-20-53_458_zps94c60d08.jpg

2012-12-29_15-21-21_649_zps04111f76.jpg

2012-07-18_22-13-07_626.jpg

Mustanger

Reaction score
Slotted & drilled add BLING! I am not a track or drag racer...so mostly I want them for the looks alone. They happen to work fine & are holding up nicely.

I have run Power Slot slotted rotors for 30,000 street miles & no problems I highly recommend them The Cryo models are even a bit better I think, very reasonable on price AND my machine shop WILL turn them if needed.

cobra443

Reaction score
I just picked up a set of Rabestos rotors and in comparison with my stock rotors the "look" much more superior. Granted they are basically a "stock" replacement but the rotors seems lighter and more solid at the same time. Maybe thats just because my old ones were disgusting and rusty. haha but either way I really like the Rabestos. I have had drilled rotors before and I cant notice a performance gain and they have never lasted as long as non drilled rotors. Just my .02

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online