Replacing tie rod ends

GT Rob

Reaction score
Go to change out my tie rods tommrow. What's the best way to take them out and the replacing with the good ones any input would be helpfull

1997gtRioRed

Reaction score
jack up car

take off wheels

remove nut that connects tie rod to knuckle

remove outer tie rod

reverse for install

it is easier than changing your oil. well, without an impact gun it might be a PITA

then get an alignment, also ask if there is any discount for just a toe and go, some places do. i can have then out the door in roughly~10 minutes start to finish if its just a toe adjustment

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
if its just outter be sure to mark where the nut is on the rod before losening it.

then you can place it back in it's original location.

OP
OP
GT Rob

GT Rob

Reaction score
Bumpsteer kit. I've heard of it but never thought anything about it what's it do

97FloridaGT

Reaction score
A BFH is your friend. For a redneck toe n go, grab another person and a tape measure and measure center to center on the front and rear of the tires halfway up.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
GT,

bumpsteer kits can get somewhat complex.

take a look at Maximum Motorsports' website - its got some solid tech info on it for bump steer kits and proper installation.

Here is the kit i use:
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=450

it requires having the spindle drilled.

If you dont want to drill the splindle, here's their tapered kit:
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=451

basically, (and im NOT a suspension expert), these give an added range of adjustment for proper suspension travel in a hard turn or going over a bump.

joekd

Reaction score
When I did outers on my 00 the night before I hit them with a good shot of spray paint right at the threads, this way when I put in the new ones I had a good idea where to line them up so the alignment wouldn't be too bad until I could get to the shop

OP
OP
GT Rob

GT Rob

Reaction score
Just finished up with the tie rod ends whent smooth and even put my front lowering springs in the springs that where in there where cut so hopefully it rides better with the lowering springs in. Thanks again for all the input guys

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online