Brake upgrade?

Stanimal

Reaction score
My father bought a 05 v6 today for parts to fix my sisters. It runs, drives, was hit in the rear but not too bad at all. Was totaled due to mileage, so he got it extremely cheap. My question is this, can i swap the front brakes over to my 95 gt? If so, my plan would be this.... Swap the brakes out now completely, then down the road switch the caliper brackets and rotors to the gt's. The 05 and up have same calipers on v6 and gt, but gt uses a bigger rotor. What i cant find it if i can swap the setup to my 95?

Also, is there anything else i should take off the car that can fit mine?. Thanks

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know about the brakes, but I really have to question whether there would be any benfit of adding V6 anything to a GT... especially from a different generation.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i dont think anything 05+ will fit onto our cars without fabrication.

It wouldnt surprise me if you could fab those on, but be prepared to create some kind of mounting system as well as re-doing the entire line set up.

Even the seats from the 05 dont fit into an 04 without work...

OP
OP
Stanimal

Stanimal

Reaction score
the 05+ v6 brakes are bigger then our stock gt, the 05+ v6 are 11.5 and the gt are 12.4. the v6 05+ and gt 05+ use the same lines, calipers and pads but the gt has a different bracket and larger rotor, but share the same caliper bracket mounting location. so if i can get the v6 to go on, i can very easily upgrade to the 12.4" rotors by just getting 05+ gt rotrs and caliper brackets, and have the dual pistons also :)

OP
OP
Stanimal

Stanimal

Reaction score
lines wont be hard at all, i have eery size you can think of in rolls on the shelf, and i can use the stock v6 rubbers for now too.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
guess ill be the guinnea pig and try it out and see what needs to happen then :d
please do this, lol. I wanna see how it goes...might give it a go myself if it works out my dude!!!

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You realize 99-04 mustangs have dual caliper pistons as well? And they are a direct swap with our current ones.
If you don't wanna waste your time trying to fit some brakes that will take custom work, then just go to your junkyards and grab some new edge brakes.

ProKiller

Reaction score
i'm not quite sold on this idea becuase i think the calipers aren't any better than a new edge caliper, which as ferocious said, would be a lot easier to do. the lines will work fine but the bracket is different so you'll have to modify that.

LilRoush

Reaction score
The S197 to SN95 swap has been done a lot with the GT500 fronts. It does require $$ and fabrication.

For the 94-98 cars, the 99-04 swap with SS lines, solid rotors, good clean fluid and good pads is more braking than 99% of the street driven Mustangs will ever need.

OP
OP
Stanimal

Stanimal

Reaction score
eh it was more so a free-bee idea to try out. ive been reading, and if i use s197 lower ball joints and s197 struts i can use the spindles. not sure, but ill put that theory to the test. liek i said, i have a whole running driving car to experiment with. the whole car was $900, with a bad driver tailight and rear bumper. at least ill get the bullit style wheels and decent tires off it. my sister needs the hood, one piece inside the engine bay on the passenger strut tower, and the air bags. the rest is mine to part out until i hit the $900 mark then its all profit to me, or the parts are free to me.

Walking Tall

Reaction score
The S197 to SN95 swap has been done a lot with the GT500 fronts. It does require $$ and fabrication.

For the 94-98 cars, the 99-04 swap with SS lines, solid rotors, good clean fluid and good pads is more braking than 99% of the street driven Mustangs will ever need.

Would you suggest this over buying repo Cobra rotors and calipers?

RichV

Reaction score
The GT500 fronts are 14" IIRC. Someone on here had a thread about doing this. Not sure if it ever got finished or not.

Walking Tall

Reaction score
I was talking about new edge GT brakes vs ordering an 03 Cobra setup from rockauto.

RichV

Reaction score
Oh, well I ran the 99+ GT twin piston calipers for 2 seasons and they worked awesome. I would not hesitate to change to that setup for the street. Get some good quality pads, not Autozone $20 crappers.

I ran Carbotech XP10 pads, and when you drop that anchor those brakes rocked. Honestly, the only reason I upgraded to 13" setup with the Wilwoods is because brake pads are so much cheaper. The Wilwood pads are less than half cost of what I was paying for the 99+GT pads. But that was for my situation, street car is a no brainer.

99GreenStang

Reaction score
buy a brembo brake kit . everything you need to stop on a dime and look really good as well .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txcoqi

Members online