Rear shock clunk

Blakonblak94

Reaction score
So I've been hearing a clunk and couldn't quite trace it. Well, tonight I crawled under the rear and found that I could take the lower shock body and twist it with my hand and it "clunks"/twists some. Am I correct in thinking my bushings are shot? Just looking for opinions before I order another set.

Rooted/Rommed SIII

9838stang

Reaction score
i have a clunking going on aswell on my car. on the gt's they have a quad shock, the shock parallel to the ground. it connects to the axle up top and to the body via a bracket that bolts to the body.

On my car which is a v6 body i added that bracket, quad shocks and rear axle from a gt and after a year the bracket started to come loose and that is where my clunking came from. i gorilla wrenched that bracket back on and no clunks any more. I would look there, if your car has aftermarket shocks check to make sure those are tight. check control arm bushings and check to make sure your wheels are on tight as well.

RichV

Reaction score
+1 for CA bushings. They will make the pinion angle change on the rear and you'll feel it. U joints can clunk as well.

Are you getting this while driving/shifting? Or stopping/taking off from a stop?

OP
OP
Blakonblak94

Blakonblak94

Reaction score
I ordered new shock bushings last evening. I no longer have quad shocks, it only happens over bumps and the shock is physically loose on the lower shock mount due to worn bushings

Rooted/Rommed SIII

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txcoqi

Members online