To build or not to build, that is the question..

Cpotts13

Reaction score
**DISCLAIMER**
I am going to try and explain this as best as i can, so bear with me.

I have been noticing a strange clunking noise from the rear of my car lately, like a metal on metal ping. Long story short, after checkig every possible thing I started looking at the axles. I can grab either rear wheel (while the cars lifted) and shake, and there is definitely play, and it makes a strange noise..

Also, whenever I take a turn at slow speeds, like less then 5 mph I hear a clunking noise, It makes me think the spider gears are slipping up.

So, what should I do??

I have pretty much nailed it down to a bad diff, or one that is going bad..
Does any concur?

How hard is it to swap differentials and axles (frpp 31 spline, moser)?
How does one shim the carrier?

95opal

Reaction score
by chance did you take a good look at your sway bar ends as they tend to break and clunk around once broken. look where they mount to the lca

OP
OP
C

Cpotts13

Reaction score
by chance did you take a good look at your sway bar ends as they tend to break and clunk around once broken. look where they mount to the lca

Yes i did, It is an Eibach sway bar attached to j&m lcas using grade 8 bolts not the factory kind.

I went through and torqued everything to spec, which it all was, so.... idk what else..

OP
OP
C

Cpotts13

Reaction score
Well just placed a order with late model and american muscle..
ordered:
-mini gear install kit(shims, pinion seal, marking compound) from lmr
-royal purple gear oil and friction modifier from lmr
-frpp wheel bearings from am
-frpp diff rebuild kit.

Looks like this will make for a very fun weekend.. lol not.

any tips on installing any of this?

I know i will need a slide hammer for the bearings, but any other special tools?

Magic

Reaction score
Looks like this will make for a very fun weekend.. lol not.

any tips on installing any of this?

I know i will need a slide hammer for the bearings, but any other special tools?

Save yourself the headache and the potential screw up and let a driveline shop deal with it. Shouldnt cost you anymore than $200-250 to have all that done.

OP
OP
C

Cpotts13

Reaction score
Save yourself the headache and the potential screw up and let a driveline shop deal with it. Shouldnt cost you anymore than $200-250 to have all that done.

No can do sir. I do not have that money.

from what i can tell its pretty straight forward. And with me doing it I will know it gets done right.

Magic

Reaction score
No can do sir. I do not have that money.

from what i can tell its pretty straight forward. And with me doing it I will know it gets done right.

Have a look at the various guides on-line. Dont just read one, read a few. Here are some links to help you get started. Use them as a basic understanding of what youre about to do.

Car Craft link: basic over view.
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/116_0411_install_gears_slip_ford/viewall.html

Explorer 8.8, a little more in-depth:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144780

Another in-depth of the 8.8:
http://www.corral.net/tech/drivetrain/gears.html

Check out the various videos on Youtube as well.

RichV

Reaction score
It's pretty straight forward. If you're not changing gears, there should not be any brain damage. It will be messy and stinky. And putting in that s-shaped metal thingy is a major PITA.

I didn't need a slidehammer but it will be good to have.

OP
OP
C

Cpotts13

Reaction score
Have a look at the various guides on-line. Dont just read one, read a few. Here are some links to help you get started. Use them as a basic understanding of what youre about to do.

Car Craft link: basic over view.
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/116_0411_install_gears_slip_ford/viewall.html

Explorer 8.8, a little more in-depth:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144780

Another in-depth of the 8.8:
http://www.corral.net/tech/drivetrain/gears.html

Check out the various videos on Youtube as well.

Thanks for the links man, I try to do all I an myself, after all it is my toy. haha

It's pretty straight forward. If you're not changing gears, there should not be any brain damage. It will be messy and stinky. And putting in that s-shaped metal thingy is a major PITA.

I didn't need a slidehammer but it will be good to have.

This is what i am thinking. One thing I was wondering about was the pinion seal. Mine is leaking, I bought the replacenment, is it hard to do?

good luck dude!

Thanks! I will take plenty of pictures and maybe do a right up for the forum, i havent checked to see if there is already one..

RichV

Reaction score
I had some fluid coming out of my pinion seal as well. You can do it on the car, however, I got the new seal and got the driveshaft and companion flange off. My old seal was fine, the fluid was coming from the huge nut that holds the flange on. I just dabbed a little sealer on the threads and it quit leaking. If you have to remove the seal, it looks to have a collar that is easy to get to with a flat tip screwdriver and a hammer to tap it out.

OP
OP
C

Cpotts13

Reaction score
I called a local performance shop and they quoted me $250 to do all the work, with me providing the parts.

Do yall think i should just do this? Or is it easy enough? The only thing I am truly apprehensive about is the pinion seal... hahah

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
If you never done them before and don't know how to set pinion preload or back lash otherwise you could end up with a rear end that sounds like dogs howling to sirens .

OP
OP
C

Cpotts13

Reaction score
If you never done them before and don't know how to set pinion preload or back lash otherwise you could end up with a rear end that sounds like dogs howling to sirens .

True... I am not switching gears so i am not touching the pinion. And the backlash is within spec so i am going to reuse the shims.

F it. im going for it

95 BLOWN GT

Reaction score
i think it is cool that you want to do it yourself....but i laughed to myself that you are asking how to do it...and then you say "with me doing it i know it will get done right"...classic.

OP
OP
C

Cpotts13

Reaction score
i think it is cool that you want to do it yourself....but i laughed to myself that you are asking how to do it...and then you say "with me doing it i know it will get done right"...classic.

LOL
I complete the project yesterday, I was actually looking for tips or tricks from people that have done it before. I did it myself to be sure that some shop didnt half a** it, I actually did all the correct tq specs, thread locked where necessary and checked backlash, while a shop could have skipped right over all that. I prefer to work on my car because it is my toy and I will not let a shop work on my toy. hahah. Alot of people are loosing that mentality now a'days.

You can look here or here if you want to see pictures and all that good stuff

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
my rear end was effed up when we bought my car.. sounded dreadful.

anyways, good luck! :) we're here to help.

check your c-clips while you're in there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online