95 GT-Tons of rear suspension noises!

LaserRed95GT

Reaction score
I've not done anything with suspension before, and I really don't want to spend money on the suspension at all, but I have to because it sounds like a haunted cemetery.

To start, braking does the typical squeal but also a metal on metal noise that sounds god awful and scary, to add to this, the wheel shakes back and forth while braking. I believe this is because there's probably not much pad left and the rotors are more than likely destroyed and uneven, any other thoughts?

There's also more of that metal on metal sound that just is a low tone "errrrrrrrrrrr" on most turns I take. No idea what that could be!

So what should I look into doing, other than rotors and brake pads?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
well its a good thing you didn't swap out those brake pads out when they and the disks were still ok as not it sounds like you might bet to replace a disk er two as well. As for the shaking one time the steel belts on a tire slip that created a bubble on the inside of the tire where I could not see it. Front tire too as well since its happening under braking.

As for the steering noise it could be the ball joints. That is tony's expertise but yo can check them by jacking the car up and then see if you have any slop in the wheel by pulling and pushing on it to see if it moves back/forth.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
definately sounds like you pads are worn down to the rivets and they're eating into the rotors. and the shaking while braking is likely a warped rotor.

OP
OP
L

LaserRed95GT

Reaction score
definately sounds like you pads are worn down to the rivets and they're eating into the rotors. and the shaking while braking is likely a warped rotor.
Pads are sooo expensive! It mostly comes from the left rear tire (the pad rubbing noise).
Fortuantely I'm do for an oil change,and I know a shop that checks this stuff in an attempt to service it. So they'll check it over and let me know;)

A note, I prefer going to shops for oil change because it's more efficient since they top off all the fluids and such.

well its a good thing you didn't swap out those brake pads out when they and the disks were still ok as not it sounds like you might bet to replace a disk er two as well. As for the shaking one time the steel belts on a tire slip that created a bubble on the inside of the tire where I could not see it. Front tire too as well since its happening under braking.

As for the steering noise it could be the ball joints. That is tony's expertise but yo can check them by jacking the car up and then see if you have any slop in the wheel by pulling and pushing on it to see if it moves back/forth.

I was actually told, months ago I should replace the tie rods because they were worn and I should replace the ball joints.
So I think I will (after checking that they're beat first). Should I replace both the inner and outter tie rods though, if they're worn?

I also have no idea what you mean about the tire band thing.

OP
OP
L

LaserRed95GT

Reaction score
Well I stopped by an auto shop and asked for a quote and oil change and they said it would be 600 dollars, so I took the oil change for 40 and bolted.

Now I'm either doing it myself or having a training shop class thing do it for free.
I rather have the class shop do it, especially since there's this cute girl in there I know who is talking about it;)

I defiantly need rotors and pads all the way around, and since I'm saving so much I might as well do the tie rods and balljoints at the same time, give them something more to do.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
free labor is great if it's done right.Hope the kids don't get hurt when the lower control are seperates from the ball joint.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
**replace your ball joints**

if you dont, they will dislodge from their socket and your wheel will fall off!!!!

additionally, change your brakes... all of them. 4 rotors, 8 pads, a can of brake-clean.

also, the turning could be a wheel bearing or tie-rod or something wrong with your P/S pump. hard to tell over the internet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrowdKiller