k member/ coilover install. noises? and spring heights?

danielson631

Reaction score
so over the past few months i installed a Qa1 tubular K member and control arms. also installed MMR ( think they order from UPR) front and rear coilovers.

i had some trouble with getting the wheels straight, so i used 93 tauras outer tie rods.

i was hearing this noise coming from the front end, every time i came to a complete stop and the weight of the car shifted forward. i thought the coilover sleeve wasnt tight to the shock, so i went and bought a dozen big rubber o rings, and put them on both of the shocks where the sleeve goes. didnt stop the noise. i thought it was something to do with the stepped spacer by the C/C plates, i switched them around with the washers, still didnt solve the noise.

here is the noise it makes.

now it seems like it doesnt do it all the time, but it still makes the popping noise every once in a while. anyone have any idea what this could be?

also, it feels like something is loose when im at idle speed, and i step on the brakes repeatedly. it feels like everything is moving, or shifting forward. here is a video of that.

i went over all the bolts three times. control arm bolts, motor mounts, front and rear K member bolts, steering rack, every bolt i took out, i made sure it was tight.

one thing i did realize was the rear control arm bolt, the one i had to grind down to fit, i realized i put it the wrong way, and i was supposed to grind the bolt head, not the nut. oops. but i dont think that could be why all this is happening.

one more question. im pretty sure i have a 12 inch spring, but it doesnt go as low as i want it too. this is what i want it to look like.
photo1-2_zps9ddc8864.jpg

IMG_1032_zps6247d08a.jpg

but when i do that, this is how the spring sits.
IMG_1006_zps857168e0.jpg

do i need a 14 inch spring? it seems like even that wouldnt be enough. and they are threaded almost all the way down to the bottom of the coilover sleeve.

when i have them adjusted up, so the spring is resting on the adjuster, and touching the upper spring support/ bearing cover, the car is way to high for my liking.

im sorry if some of this doesnt make sense to anybody. but if you have any input i appreciate it.

ill prob go back and edit this later and try to be more specific. thanks

slow90coupe

Reaction score
Have you sat it on the ground and driven it at the height you want to see if the spring rattles? a 10-125 spring is what my buddies run, and that's what I've had in the past. You can go really low with it. No rattles.

OP
OP
D

danielson631

Reaction score
yeah i drove it around and when i turn i can hear the springs/struts making noise. also, the spring seems like its rubbing on the rim

OP
OP
D

danielson631

Reaction score
yes when i did the install i didnt remove the two bolts holding the caliper on, i just pulled the c clips and pins out and hung them.

maybe i forgot to put one of the metal clips inside that holds the brake pads in? idk. ill check later.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
nah. pads wouldnt make that sound. when we did my front suspension we forgot to tighten my front caliper... only made noise during stopping/bumps.

if your spring is rubbing on a tire, daz a no-no.

slow90coupe

Reaction score
My friend had the same rubbing issue. He switched to 10-125 springs and his rubbing issue was solved.

OP
OP
D

danielson631

Reaction score
ok thanks guys.

im going to purchase those springs and see if it helps anything.

i guess i was confused and thought getting a taller spring would be better, but seems like i had it mixed up lol. thanks !

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrowdKiller

Members online