Lowering Question :: How Low Should I Go?

StangGrin

Reaction score
My 99 GT needs to be lowered and I'm looking at going 1.5" (installing springs that say they'll give a 1.5" drop front and rear). With the 17" wheels I think that will look real nice. Measuring the low parts underneath, though, that will give me 3" of ground clearance.

With 3" will my car just become a rolling spark-fest?

I'll be replacing the shocks and struts with Tokico HPs and putting in polyurethane isolators up front and probably the rear (or some Energy Suspension stuff). I'm leaning towards the Eibach Pro springs. Any ideas what kind of ride I can expect with this combo of struts/shocks/springs?

Look forward to your help - thanks.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
1.5" drop won't give you any problems at all.......here's mine @ 2" drop (also on 17s)

lmcts.jpg

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
at 1.5" drop its suggested to replace sway bar end links ($20) and caster plates ($100-200)

Tommy92

Reaction score
Don't drop it to the point where you have to break hard when you see potholes or big bumps on the road, that's an accident waiting to happen.

Jnicho

Reaction score
My drop was about 2"+ in front and a good 1.5" on the rear. Since I have a vert I have an extra x-brace up front that on occasion scrapes, but otherwise no issues.

BEFORE:
IMAG0077.jpg

AFTER:
IMAG0103.jpg

IMAG0095.jpg

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
drop that sucks as low as it can go!!! if its too low then air it back up a little :) Whats the big deal I know tony is with me!

TanTop94

Reaction score
Not to steal your thread but has anyone every your these camber bolts? Seems like something that could save anyone a lot of money from not having to buy CC plates and still being able to lower your car. As for an Eibach kit I have really only heard bad reviews on them, rides rough and is just plain terrible. If your gonna spend the money just go with H&R lol!

Slykin

Reaction score
Not to steal your thread but has anyone every your these camber bolts? Seems like something that could save anyone a lot of money from not having to buy CC plates and still being able to lower your car. As for an Eibach kit I have really only heard bad reviews on them, rides rough and is just plain terrible. If your gonna spend the money just go with H&R lol!

Yep. They work fine unless you get realllly low. The PO of my car put these on and my alignment guy barely touched the CC plates, just used those bolts.

chrisv_10

Reaction score
Any lowering spring is gonna ride rougher than stock. Just the way the cookie crumbles.

Tapatwerkin

chrisv_10

Reaction score
As for the camber bolts. I've seen them, but never heard of anyone using them. I'd imagine they would be better than stock but not as adjustable as a camber plate

Tapatwerkin

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Lowering 1.5" is nothing.

If I were you, id wrap the springs in electrical tape and say hell to the isolation.
Don't be afraid of scraping just because you're lowering your car. These mustangs are prerunners at stock height.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
Lowering 1.5" is nothing.

If I were you, id wrap the springs in electrical tape and say hell to the isolation.
Don't be afraid of scraping just because you're lowering your car. These mustangs are prerunners at stock height.
das wassup!

2v_takeover

Reaction score
I've got the eibach prokit in my car. Didn't lower it nearly enough, so I did cut a bit off the springs. Still not low enough, so now I'm going to take out the iso's and though some X2's in. Hopefully that will fix my height issue... Ride is a little rougher now especially since I cut the springs, which your not supposed to do with the variable rate ones ( which I forget the proper name of, progressive??)

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I've got the eibach prokit in my car. Didn't lower it nearly enough, so I did cut a bit off the springs. Still not low enough, so now I'm going to take out the iso's and though some X2's in. Hopefully that will fix my height issue... Ride is a little rougher now especially since I cut the springs, which your not supposed to do with the variable rate ones ( which I forget the proper name of, progressive??)

Yepp those are progressive. The ones that stay the same are specific

I'm lookin to grt an Eibach pro kit with J&M c/c plates I should be good with that combo right?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txcoqi

Members online