Suspension advice needed please!!

mkbrower

Reaction score
I nave a 98 vert v6 car that I'm working on now. I just bought 18x9 FR 500 wheels to go on it and will be ordering tires, springs, CC plates tomorrow. I'm looking at H&R SS springs, MM plates and Goodyear F1 255/45/18 tires. Does this sound like a good combination so far and if not, can you make suggestions. More interested in looks and ride quality instead of racing at this point in my life. Any information would be appreciated!

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
the MM CC plates and H&$ SS springs are what you want and will lower the car the most and give it a great stance.

As far as the tires. Stay away from the F1s as they are overpriced and you can get better tires for the price. Are you looking to put a 255 all the way around?

Also are you on stock Shocks/struts?

Jnicho

Reaction score
I have H&R SS on my 98 vert with no ISO's. I'm running 17" wheels though. 245/45 on the front and 275/40 on the rear. That makes my tires about 26.7. Your 255/45's will be about 27" so just a hair taller. The springs will give you an awesome lowered stance, but ride will be noticeably stiffer. The other thing that IMO makes a huge difference in appearance on our cars is to make the rear tires fill up the rear fenders. Unless you run a wide wheel/tire on the back with the right offset you may want to consider some spacers. I used 1.25" on mine and I'm very happy with where the wheel sits now.

OP
OP
M

mkbrower

Reaction score
the MM CC plates and H&$ SS springs are what you want and will lower the car the most and give it a great stance.

As far as the tires. Stay away from the F1s as they are overpriced and you can get better tires for the price. Are you looking to put a 255 all the way around?

Also are you on stock Shocks/struts?
I'm still on the fence about rear tire size, but I'm leaning towards 255 all the way around. I'll be using the stock shocks/struts for just a little bit, but will be upgrading soon. The Goodyear F1 got good reviews on tire rack and had a wear rating of 500. I saw where some F1s were crappy with low mileage but these seemed pretty good. Here's the link : http://www.tirerack.com/survey/Surv...&tirePageLocQty=&partnum=545WR8F1AAS&i1_Qty=4

what other tire would you recommend? Also, do you think the 45 sidewall is OK. I see a lot of people running 35&40 aspect ratios but was worried about side walls being too thin.

Rallim

Reaction score
I have F1's on my other car, and I absolutely LOVE them. However, they're expensive as hell and they came on the car when I bought it, I'd buy something slightly cheaper that's just as good. I've heard AMAZING things about Continental's higher end tires, and they aren't that bad on price from what I remember.

H&R's I've got a set sitting around too, and a lot of other people seem to run them.

And on 18's, 255/40 should be okay. My f1's are 255/45/17 and the sidewalls decently big, so on an 18 a 45 would probably be too big IMO.

OP
OP
M

mkbrower

Reaction score
I have H&R SS on my 98 vert with no ISO's. I'm running 17" wheels though. 245/45 on the front and 275/40 on the rear. That makes my tires about 26.7. Your 255/45's will be about 27" so just a hair taller. The springs will give you an awesome lowered stance, but ride will be noticeably stiffer. The other thing that IMO makes a huge difference in appearance on our cars is to make the rear tires fill up the rear fenders. Unless you run a wide wheel/tire on the back with the right offset you may want to consider some spacers. I used 1.25" on mine and I'm very happy with where the wheel sits now.
I like the stance of your car. How wide are your rims? I was trying to keep all the tires the same size but I thought 265 may be pushing it for the front. I thought about going with a 275 on the back if I went wider but didn't know how it would fit on a 9 inch rim. I don't want a stretched look. How is your ride? I plan on driving this car a lot with my wife in the summer and don't want it to beat us to death.

Jnicho

Reaction score
I like the stance of your car. How wide are your rims? I was trying to keep all the tires the same size but I thought 265 may be pushing it for the front. I thought about going with a 275 on the back if I went wider but didn't know how it would fit on a 9 inch rim. I don't want a stretched look. How is your ride? I plan on driving this car a lot with my wife in the summer and don't want it to beat us to death.

I understand wanting to keep the tires the same all around...I decided I would rather have the look of the extra width on the rear. I'm running a 275/40-17 on the back on a 17x8" wheel so I'm sure you would have no issues with something similar on a 9" rim. Ride on the H&R's is stiff but not bad IMO. I drive my car most of the time except for snow and ice when I drive the Jeep. It's a fair bit stiffer than it was stock, but to me the stock ride was too soft...and for me the tradeoff in stance is worth a little bit rougher ride. I picked up some F1's very slightly used for my 99 Cougar for a great price. I'm not sure I would pay full price for F1's, but they may be the best tires I've ever had...they are 10X better than the Nitto's they replaced.

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
275's on a 9" wheel wont be strtched.

wtf.....

The F1s may have a good rating. But if you look at the category you picked and look at other tires ratings. The goodyears rank 12. While these are not always accurate, im still not a huge huge fan. Not for the price.

Like said the upper end Continentals, the Michellins.. All for the same pricing and probably better

even if you did get goodyear.. you would want the F1 A/S.. F1 Assymetric. Or A/S-2

I would love to get the GS-D3 <--- ****ing great tires for pure summer

LOL if anyone needs info on Goodyear tires. I worked for them for a while. Great tires for sure specially their passenger tires. But other deals can be had

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
wtf..... The F1s may have a good rating. But if you look at the category you picked and look at other tires ratings. The goodyears rank 12. While these are not always accurate, im still not a huge huge fan. Not for the price. Like said the upper end Continentals, the Michellins.. All for the same pricing and probably better
idk for some reason it does that when i use certain punctuations lol

OP
OP
M

mkbrower

Reaction score
wtf.....

The F1s may have a good rating. But if you look at the category you picked and look at other tires ratings. The goodyears rank 12. While these are not always accurate, im still not a huge huge fan. Not for the price.

Like said the upper end Continentals, the Michellins.. All for the same pricing and probably better

even if you did get goodyear.. you would want the F1 A/S.. F1 Assymetric. Or A/S-2

LOL if anyone needs info on Goodyear tires. I worked for them for a while. Great tires for sure specially their passenger tires. But other deals can be had
Ok, I think I have decided on 255/45 front and the 285/40 rear. I like the Contenintel extreme contact DSW or the Khumo (sp) but I don't know anything about the khumo's. The Khumo's are cheaper and I like the look of the tire. How do you feel about these two tire choices. The Goodyear F1 that I was looking at does not come in a 285/40 thanks for your help!
mark

Rallim

Reaction score
wtf.....

GS-D3's are freaking ridiculous. They're what I have on the rear, and in the dry I CANNOT break traction with them unless I dump the clutch. In the rain they're fantastic too, considering my daily's 300+ horse and it'll barely break traction going into second. I just wish they wern't so expensive.

And yeah, it's the DSW's I was thinking about. BMW guys are nuts for them. I've driven one car with them and they were alright from what I remember.

OP
OP
M

mkbrower

Reaction score
Ok, this is what I ordered: HR SS springs, MM caster/camber plates, Tokico blue struts and shocks (79-93) and Continental extreme contact DSW tires. I decided to go staggered and ordered 255/40/18 for the front and 285/35/18 for the rear. Is there anything else important I need to get. Will be ordering the bump steer kit and the off set steering rack bushings shortly.
Mark

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
yea it sucks they discontinued a lot of sizes in the GS-D3.. Killed a lot of thier market. Working for goodyear for a bit. I had a bmw guy come to me to find one in specific size. took me a month to get the last one in the country in his specific size.

I can get them cheaper than tire rack offers. I might put them on something later on down the road..

MKbrower. sounds like a good setup man.. you should enjoy it!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrowdKiller

Members online