Lowering struts/springs setup

riot9maker

Reaction score
So while doing some front end work this weekend I noticed that my squeak noise while turning is the front upper strut mounts. Since I was planning on lowering the car in a few months, Im either going to use some struts that will work with both stock and lowering springs or wait a week or 2 and buy the struts and springs all at once. Has anyone used these Koni STR.T struts from MM? They are on sale and if they are decent Im about to get a set. Found a few reviews, but not many from mustang owners. Probably H&R sport springs? maybe eibachs? Any suggestions are appreciated! I can't stand a squeaky front end! lol Thanks in advance! Also, if I use the sport springs do I still need caster camber plates?

Edit: 17" cobra wheels on the way. 285 rears, 235 fronts. Wheels will be on before the lowering kit

GMSMOKR

Reaction score
If I had a chance to do it again..I would run H&R SS..Im running Tein S Tech's for the pass 4 years..as far as the CC plates...after the Stang is lowered..at some point ..you will want to get the plates...the inner tires will wear faster..and you will notice the front wheel stance change...What city in MI are you?

GMSMOKR

Reaction score
KYB GR-2 F/R Shocks/Struts "American Muscle"

Jnicho

Reaction score
I have H&R SS on mine. Love the amount of lowering it gave me...sits right where I wanted it. Ride is quite a bit firmer than stock, but not horrible...worth the pay off in looks for me, and my stock ride was too soft anyway. As mentioned adjusting camber is important if you're dropping the front end 1.5"-2". I have 17's as well...245/45's up front...275/40's on the rear. Hope that helps.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Koni shocks and struts are good stuff. Ford put koni's on the svo's.
I'm running Koni single adjustables on mine , love them but I can't comment on the model your asking about.
As already stated, CC plates will probably be needed on any drop 1.5" or more.
H&R springs are about the best out there, BBK's are not bad either.

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
H&R with Bilstein all around or Koni.. infact at the moment Koni its running a special on Koni Yellows.

Do the sport lines sit lower than hr ss ?

Yes.

they have an advertised lower drop but imo they don't have as nice of a stance.

Hmmm

c2xvMi5qcGc.jpg

OP
OP
riot9maker

riot9maker

Reaction score
thanks to all that replied.
now I'm debating the koni sports (yellow) lol not sure if I can justify it for almost double the price of the koni str.t's though. The sports are about 530 shipped through tirerack with the wholesale discount, the str.t's are about 300. Gunna go with the H&R super sport springs. Is a bumpsteer kit necessary? MM says it is and that offset rack bushing actually make things worse. Any thoughts? thanks again!!

96TANGERINEGT

Reaction score
I am running tokico adjustable shocks and struts with steeds springs and I love it could be a little lower tho , maybe ill cut one of those peskey coils off ...

Slipperman

Reaction score
I am running tokico adjustable shocks and struts with steeds springs and I love it could be a little lower tho , maybe ill cut one of those peskey coils off ...
I've been eyeballing those Steeda springs. How much drop (with isolators)?
How's the ride?

Magic

Reaction score
thanks to all that replied.
now I'm debating the koni sports (yellow) lol not sure if I can justify it for almost double the price of the koni str.t's though. The sports are about 530 shipped through tirerack with the wholesale discount, the str.t's are about 300. Gunna go with the H&R super sport springs. Is a bumpsteer kit necessary? MM says it is and that offset rack bushing actually make things worse. Any thoughts? thanks again!!

Koni Yellows/Sports if you have time to fart around with the adjustments. If you dont care too much about that, just go with the STR.T Koni or Bilstein HD from MM.

You don't really need a bump steer kit. I would get the C/C plates (MM) or camber bolts.

OP
OP
riot9maker

riot9maker

Reaction score
Koni Yellows/Sports if you have time to fart around with the adjustments. If you dont care too much about that, just go with the STR.T Koni or Bilstein HD from MM.

You don't really need a bump steer kit. I would get the C/C plates (MM) or camber bolts.

Thanks. I got the time to mess with em, but my wallet is really leaning towards those STR.T's lol as long as they ride good and are quality, I'm ok with no adjustments, at least for now. That way I can afford the C/C plates, hopefully.

Secondly, on MM it says these will work with both the stock springs and H&R SS springs. So if I run these with the stock springs for a few weeks while I save for springs and C/C plates will it wear out the struts and shocks faster because they will be extended approx 1.5" further while using the stock springs compared to the H&R springs???

Magic

Reaction score
Thanks. I got the time to mess with em, but my wallet is really leaning towards those STR.T's lol as long as they ride good and are quality, I'm ok with no adjustments, at least for now. That way I can afford the C/C plates, hopefully.

Secondly, on MM it says these will work with both the stock springs and H&R SS springs. So if I run these with the stock springs for a few weeks while I save for springs and C/C plates will it wear out the struts and shocks faster because they will be extended approx 1.5" further while using the stock springs compared to the H&R springs???
No it wont.

OP
OP
riot9maker

riot9maker

Reaction score
No it wont.

Alright, cool. thanks. Think I am going to go ahead and order the struts and put them on this weekend so I don't have to deal the the squeaking while I save for my springs. Thanks again

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
The koni yellows, dont really require time to fart around with adjustments. Obviously if you are a track goer you will eventually play with them a tad to try and dial in where you want to be. Otherwise they are single adjustable. rebound goes soft to hard. thats all.

But if you are looking for a decent set for just a DD and no real aggressive driving or track time. The tokiko blues are good as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txnszn

Members online