cut stock spring

monster

Reaction score
I'm sure its been talked bout before and I've read about every thread on the subject but I'm cutting my stock springs this weekend and want to know where to start on how much to cut...

Just looking for a good stance and still ride ok any help would be appreciated
Thanks

OP
OP
monster

monster

Reaction score
Lol thanks
I'm looking to cut 1 coil off what problems will I have

Jnicho

Reaction score
I've cut springs on other cars with pretty good results. I researched this before and found on SN95's the suggested cut is 1-1.25 coils on the front and 1 coil on the back. Based on my own experience I suspect ride will suffer some, but that is almost always the case when lowering.

OP
OP
monster

monster

Reaction score
Any idea how much of a drop cutting 1-1.25 will be

I'm very nervous about doing this don't want to screw up my daily driver but something has to happen it looks like a 4x4

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would start with 1 coil at first. then reinstall and drive for a couple days.
Still want lower, then cut a 1/2 at a time after that till you get what you want.
You can always cut more, but you can't put it back on.

Jnicho

Reaction score
I think you'll see about 1.5"-2" on the front and about 1.5" on the rear. Whether or not you put the ISO's back will make some difference. I'm not running ISO's on my springs currently and don't miss them. It's a good idea to add a few layers of electrical tape or other material where there will be metal on metal contact at the top and bottom.

You'll also want to consider camber adjustment and maybe a bump steer kit if you're lowering.

OP
OP
monster

monster

Reaction score
This may seem dumb but what are y'all calling a coil or half coil pic would be great?

What is the guess of drop with one coil ?

I'm doing this Saturday and wanna make sure I'm doing it right lol

http://postimage.org/image/xl80d6ql3/

hear is pic of car sitting like a 4x4

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
one coil = you find where the coil ends, and then you cut directly below that point. When its cut out it should be one complete rotation of the spring making 1 - complete 360 degree turn.

OP
OP
monster

monster

Reaction score
Thanks
does anyone have pic of a car with 1coil cut off front ?
Should I start with a half coil on rear? I want it to have a lil rake
Also I heard 1coil off front is close to 2in drop is this true?

Sorry for all the ?s just don't want to screw up my only ride

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
with the spring out, it might look like it would be a 2" drop but it would be more like only 1" compressed.
Just go slow. if your skeered, just cut 1/2 at a time till you get where you want it.
When you get to about 1.5" drop you'll need to think about CC plates.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
4.jpg

^^^ thats "one coil" makes one complete circle. "Coil-and-a-half" is that + another half circle. start at the OEM end of the spring and count based on the suggestions given to ya.

"They said X.XX" drop would be 1.75 coils" -- start at the end of the OEM coil, count one full circle, go 3/4ths of the way around again to get 1.75 coils, for example.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
please ask as many questions as you think you need too as you do have the ability to mess some stuff up and it sounds like you have never done it before. I would ask some of your car-buddies friends, and probably even their dads if they have ever done it before as people have been doing it for a long time now so you might be suprised who has cut a coil and could help.

Jnicho

Reaction score
Another way to explain "1 coil" is once you've cut it the piece you've cutoff should make a perfect circle if the ends were connected.

Let's put this another way. What amount would you like to be lowered. The car in my sig is about 2"+ lower in front and about 1.5" in back. Also are you planning to put the ISO's back in or not?

Lastly, how do you plan to cut them. A 4.5" angle grinder with a new good quality thin kerf cutoff wheel is your best bet IMO.

CrispCobra95

Reaction score
4.jpg

^^^ thats "one coil" makes one complete circle. "Coil-and-a-half" is that + another half circle. start at the OEM end of the spring and count based on the suggestions given to ya.

"They said X.XX" drop would be 1.75 coils" -- start at the end of the OEM coil, count one full circle, go 3/4ths of the way around again to get 1.75 coils, for example.

That doesn't look like a stock spring. Hellaflush?

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
lol. thats a google-spring. its what popped up to explain what "cutting a coil" meant. :p

OP
OP
monster

monster

Reaction score
I would like 1.5-2 in of drop.....

I will be using a cut off wheel I have a lift so I'm just gonna do 1 coil all way around and see where it sits how long for it to settle in?
Yes this is my first time cutting a spring all my other mustangs have had coilovers

OP
OP
monster

monster

Reaction score
Thanks will post pics asap going to do it Saturday.. . They is a link to pic of car above looking like a 4x4

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrowdKiller

Members online

No members online now.