Making a stiffy

Rallim

Reaction score
I mean... making it stiffer.... right...

Anyways, looking for way's stiffen up the ride and reduce body roll a bit, short of replacing the shocks. A good set of performance shocks would be more then I want to spend for now since it'd only be temporary until I can get coilovers.

Recently did the springs, looking at some polyeurathane sway bar bushings and end links, but other then that there's not too much I can think of that would seem to help reduce body roll? Thicker rear sway, other then that I'm at a loss. It's late and I've been working all day but I'm just trying to get ideas of how to stiffen up the ride otherwise, any suggestions gentlemen? Front there doesn't seem like anything else besides sway and shocks, rear I'm not too familiar with so I'll leave it for you guys. Thanks in advance, feels like a stupid question but I could use a good opinion.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I know you said you're not ready to spend the money for shocks yet, but a nice set of adjustable shocks will make you happy.

This is what i have on mine and i would consider it pretty stiff.

[FONT=&quot]HAL Kmember
QA1 CC plates
Eibach Pro- kit springs
Tokico D Spec Shocks Struts
Front FRPP Control Arms
AM UCA and LCA[/FONT]

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Subframe connectors and weld a bar between rear shock towers like this
8E3CFEA1-4C08-4549-BFC7-05719B968A26-63865-00001042FFC81565_zps7938182a.jpg

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
why not just get the struts you want now and then when it comes time you can just add the coilovers to them and be all set? Sway bars, subframe connectors etc aren't going to stiffen the ride, they're just going to reduce body roll and chassis flex.

OP
OP
Rallim

Rallim

Reaction score
why not just get the struts you want now and then when it comes time you can just add the coilovers to them and be all set? Sway bars, subframe connectors etc aren't going to stiffen the ride, they're just going to reduce body roll and chassis flex.

That's actually exactly what I'm trying to do, not exactly stiffen it I suppose.

67370_563939653631213_750941771_n.jpg

You can see how bad the car leans at the moment, and I'm just trying to keep the car usable and more drift friendly, the body roll absolutely kills me on transitions. Also I'm trying to stay away from shocks and coils right now because I want to keep the car without drift control arms and coilovers so I can learn the chassis better until then, figured it'd be a good idea. When I do that, another thing that sucks is I'll have to run without the front sway bar because I'll be hitting it really quick when I get to that point. I've seen a few custom made ones so I might have an idea on that.

Lots of good ideas in here so far though, appreciate it guys. Hopefully I can have the car setup to be a bit more useful then just the good amount of power it has right now until I'm ready to really dive into it.

It'll be a fun day when I'm setup a little bit like this though. Just going to do everything but first.

file0254.jpg

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I guess I don't understand why you can't get struts and shocks for the car now. You don't need coilovers or drift control arms to do that.

OP
OP
Rallim

Rallim

Reaction score
Where's the spring going to sit? I was probably going to go with these, so even if you could make a mount on the above ones I posted, not really sure it'd work with these.
SN95DVBFLCAs.jpg

And I can't justify myself paying $600+ on shocks I'm going to use for 2 months, maybe.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
So either I don't understand or you don't understand. The springs stay right where they are and you replace the struts.

OP
OP
Rallim

Rallim

Reaction score
I don't want to do struts because they wouldn't be on the car very long because I'll be switching the setup in a couple months so It'd be a waste of money to me to spend that much for such a little amount of time. If I was going with the Maximum Motorsport coilover conversion, sure, but I have other plans on that. Hope that makes sense now haha

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
So I'm guessing you're looking into coilovers that have the spring perch built into the strut? If so then I understand. On the other hand if it's only a couple months away then why bother doing anything, just wait.

RichV

Reaction score
Those control arms are crazy! Never seen anything like them.

Well, you're kinda limited on choices. If you're not gonna run a sway bar, just go with ultra stiff springs. Typicaly race cars are tuned by switching springs to the max stiffness, then fine tune understeer and oversteer with swaybars. So knowing what I know, lack of rear bar may create understeer, so I'd stiffen the springs as much as possible, may be able to do it by cutting the fronts for now. Get a big bar out back and a small bar out front (untill you get rid of it), definitely do subframes if you have not yet, better yet, put in a road race cage, 6 point minimum.

What spring/shock combo are you going with? What spring rates? Will you still be driving the car on the street?

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
we have A LOT of info on this site on this stuff.

for starters, rear shock mount braces are 100% waste of trunk space on our cars (we even have a how-to on how to make your own, if you want one anyways.)

it all costs money, how much money do you have?

OP
OP
Rallim

Rallim

Reaction score
So I'm guessing you're looking into coilovers that have the spring perch built into the strut? If so then I understand. On the other hand if it's only a couple months away then why bother doing anything, just wait.

Exactly. And basically I'm looking for things otherwise I can keep, such as rear stuff.

Those control arms are crazy! Never seen anything like them.

Well, you're kinda limited on choices. If you're not gonna run a sway bar, just go with ultra stiff springs. Typicaly race cars are tuned by switching springs to the max stiffness, then fine tune understeer and oversteer with swaybars. So knowing what I know, lack of rear bar may create understeer, so I'd stiffen the springs as much as possible, may be able to do it by cutting the fronts for now. Get a big bar out back and a small bar out front (untill you get rid of it), definitely do subframes if you have not yet, better yet, put in a road race cage, 6 point minimum.

What spring/shock combo are you going with? What spring rates? Will you still be driving the car on the street?

Ultra stiff springs is what I was planning on. Hopefully I'll be able to do a custom sway bar that'll clear everything eventually though, did not know on the sway bar tuning and that's good to know. I just put in H&R Super Sports in the front and Steeda.... something springs in the rear, good amount stiffer for now with that. Subframes I have not done, but I'll add to the list and a cage was planned as it is required for certain things.

Going BC Coilovers, I'm thinking 700-400, give or take. I have one buddy who's running 600-350 I think, and he thinks its too stiff, and another is running 800 and 400? And it's the opposite if I remember. It's registered, but it's not a daily so I really don't care how it rides.

we have A LOT of info on this site on this stuff.

for starters, rear shock mount braces are 100% waste of trunk space on our cars (we even have a how-to on how to make your own, if you want one anyways.)

it all costs money, how much money do you have?

Yeah the rear shock mount braces don't really make sense considering that shock only goes up and down, doesn't seem like theres much room for lateral movement.

Budget build, but enough budget to make it work properly. Having friends who can make things pretty well also helps :)

ram360

Reaction score
I guess I don't understand why you can't get struts and shocks for the car now. You don't need coilovers or drift control arms to do that.

Ok, I'm glad I'm not the only one that was thinking that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online