Not a modding question: Tires

Goldmember

Reaction score
Alright, here's the deal. I'm on a super-tight budget and it's tire time for the '04.

I have two new tires waiting to be installed. I was going to buy the other two from the tax return but other priorities showed up.

I've seen vendors online that sell used tires for quite cheap with 80%+ tread left. Have any of you had experience with these types of vendors?

**Note- for those of you who are thinking I should head to Craigslist and grab Bullitts- see the first sentence. I can score two used tires for $100-150.

joekd

Reaction score
Long time ago I was shopping for tires for my 00 GT and had pretty much zero funds, I looked at 4 different sets on CL, all said great tread, little wear etc but when I showed up they were bald, patched, one set even had a cut lip on the inside (like a 4-5" rip) which of course the seller says will not affect the mounting in any way

Bottom line, I think you are much better off saving up for some decent ones. Buy 2 at a time if need be but buy good tires.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
It's just like buying used tires at the flea market, except you can't visually inspect them. Only what they show you.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Id buy them in person...there's many used tire resellers around here...at least then you can bargain with them in person and make sure they are good

Flea markets always seem to have people selling them like he just mentioned

carbuff

Reaction score
Ive bought tires from ebay before with good results. Just make sure there are good pics. They usually measure the tread thickness in the center and can ignore feathered edges and such. Ive bought from craigslist too. Good deals there too but as usual, on craigslist, people lie about condition. the "like new" tires can turn out to be half bald dry rotted junk.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'd never put used tires on any of my vehicles... but that's just me. I'm picky about my tires. Tires are something you really don't want to cut corners with, but sometimes the budget says otherwise. If I had to buy used tires (and that's a pretty big IF) I would do so locally. There's usually tire shops nearby that have used tires, regardless of where you're located. Of course, there's always the List of Craig. I'd only buy from a place that can go and physically inspect them in person before spending my $$$.

Jnicho

Reaction score
I've done some very lightly used tires before with mostly good results. Picked up some Eagle F1's for 25cents on the dollar that where all but new. All my dealing have been with used tire dealers or individuals of CL and such though where I can see them in person.

OP
OP
Goldmember

Goldmember

Reaction score
I've done some looking around and there are used tire vendors within about an hour's drive. I can grab 2 new Cooper Zeon's for $125 apiece but I could also find 2 lightly used tires for not much more than 1 of the Zeon's. I have a hook-up on mount and balance so no cost to me there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txnszn

Members online