How not to use a torque wrench

piecebypiece

Reaction score
I found out the other day that you're not supposed to make your own settings if they're not on the scale for the torque you need. I was putting an oil pump on a block and I needed to torque it to 90 in/lbs, but my torque wrench started at 120 in/lbs. I thought I would be okay if I I adjusted the wrench to where 90 in/lbs would've been; big mistake. I snapped off one of the oil pump bolts in the block and damn near twisted another one in half. I so lucked out on the broken bolt because enough of it was sticking out of the block that I could back it out with a pair of Vise-grips. So needless to say, I'm going to spring for a torque wrench that has a starting range of much less than 90 in/lbs so I don't have to make my own settings :)

red9535

Reaction score
Been there, done that. Broke off not one, but THREE valve cover bolts into my cylinder heads when I built my 302... those were REAL fun to get out :rollinglaugh:

330CubeGt

Reaction score
red9535 said:
Been there, done that. Broke off not one, but THREE valve cover bolts into my cylinder heads when I built my 302... those were REAL fun to get out :rollinglaugh:

I hope you were using in/lbs tq wrench? I hardly torque anything i guestimate

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
torquing things to spec is important.

also, using the right torque wrench is. my dad said he nevers uses a torque wrench within like 10% of both ends of the settings. idk something he learned in the military.

joekd

Reaction score
330CubeGt said:
I hope you were using in/lbs tq wrench? I hardly torque anything i guestimate

You just tighten to German specs? Guuden Fuckentite?

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
karrarararararar said:
No more than +/- 6% for the AF
maybe thats what it was, my dad was in the AF and gave me a number but i forgot.

karrarararararar

Reaction score
[TxCobrA98 said:
]
karrarararararar said:
No more than +/- 6% for the AF
maybe thats what it was, my dad was in the AF and gave me a number but i forgot.

yup, that's what it is. I'm a crew chief so I use torque wrenches all the time.

Crone

Reaction score
I did not know that... You mean +/- 6 ft pounds on the limit of the torque wrench?

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
i used my 1st torque wrench to remove my alternator belt =] it worked. Only thing i had with a 1/2 drive LOL

karrarararararar

Reaction score
Crone said:
I did not know that... You mean +/- 6 ft pounds on the limit of the torque wrench?

no, all of our torque wrenches are calibrated and if the accuracy is off by more than 6% we can use it (or at least we're not supposed to, lol)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online

No members online now.