become a supporting member

Badges

Feedback
    Post Thanks / Likes Stats    

fresh oil change, but the dipstick still says dirty as hell??

i just got an oil change and its full synthetic mobil 1, ive been hearing bout oil change places scamming ppl and not actually changing oil, so after i left the place i checked my dipstick and it still looked dirty. i went back to the place and complained, and the guy said that its just the old oil thats still left over, he said he changed it and he said the only way to get rid of it is a motor flush. is this tru that the oil can still be dirty even after a fresh oil change???

<br /><br /><br />93 notch-its stock i swear..<br />03 accord-v6,6spd<br />93lx 2.3 vert-sold<br />00gt-sold<br />98gt-atlantic blue- RIP death by old lady, on its way to becoming a racecar<br />87lx 5.0 vert-red fassssst... sold<br />98gt-black- RIP death by parking lot

Badges
    Year 2006 OG  
    Feedback
    1   (100%)

Re: fresh oil change, but the dipstick still says dirty as hell??

Some engines have extra containaments sitting in their oil passages... I've changed the oil on some saturns and afterwards the oil is
    as black as a NAACP meeting... Also, the only way to be 100% sure that your oil did get changed, is to
    do it yourself. Ever since I've owned a Mustang, I perform every service on it myself, even oil changes. If you are worried about containments
    in your oil, perform an "engine flush" yourself, which basically consists of putting an additive in your oil, running it for ___ amount of time, then
    changing your oil/filter.

1994 Sonic Blue GT: Stock shortblock, Trickflow heads, Holley Systemax, Anderson B31 cam, Vortech S-trim, Snow meth inj., BBK longtubes, Tremec TKO trans, 4.10 gears... etc. 536 rwhp/ 495 ft lbs @ 13psi.
    Build Thread: http://www.sn95forums.com/showthread...-track!/page18

Badges

Feedback

Your oil will look like crap again as soon as you drive the car. You may have to change the oil a few times in a very short period of time with a flush additive in order to clean everything out. I work in a garage so I have alot of expeirence with this lol. Most shops will not scam people like that. They wouldn't risk their reputation for the little bit of money that the oil change costs them. Shops make very little off of oil changes, it's more of a way to get people to come into the shop so they can sell you things you may need like power steering flush, coolant system service, brakes, etc... Especially if you take it to a major chain shop.
    <br />1994 GT - H&amp;R springs, Tokico&#39;d, HPM RLCA, 4.10&#39;s, CAI, STS, H pipe, Flowmaster 44&#39;s, Lookin for some schweet rims &nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; <br />1978 F150 -12v swap in progress.... it&#39;s time to start blowin black

Badges

Feedback

Personally, I dont trust oil change places. I've been to a few and had the oil changed in leased vehicles. But thats the extent I trust them. I've had friends that worked at a Valvoline and the other one was a "uncle ed's oil change". Both had terrible stories of just bone headed actions by co-workers. I think its such a easy and important thing to do that I do it myself.

That being said yes it could be slightly dirty. There is always going to be residual oil in the engine in oil passages/lifters/cranks. But how far did you drive it? Out the door or back home? If its back home and that black again you dont need to buy any special treatments to flush the oil out. The detergents in fresh oil are good enough to clean an engine out completely. To flush the system out and not have to worry about chemicals that might damage seals or gaskets. Just drive it for five hundred miles and change the oil. Then another five hundred and do it again. The detergents in the oil will break up any broken down oil in the passages and drain it out of the engine. Most flushes contain kerosene which will eat your gaskets and seals.
    &quot;I believe God is managing affairs and that He doesn&#39;t need any advice from me. With God in charge, I believe everything will work out for the best in the end. So what is there to worry about.&quot; --Henry Ford

Badges
    SN95 Supporting Member 5+ Successful iTrader Deals  
    Feedback
    7   (100%)

My opinion is this, if you drove a few days then went back it's possible, if you checked it immediatly after the change and it looks like old oil then you just got scammed by a Jiffy Lube (or equivelent)

Yes the oil can be slightly dirty. Yes there can be residue. No it will not be enough where you cant see fresh oil by pulling the dipstick.

It may seem like a dickhead move but the only way to be sure work was done is to stare at them doing it.
    1996 Mustang GT convertible...Sold

Current car - 2006 Charger SRT8, my practical 425+HP car

Badges
    500+ Forum Reputation 5000+ Forum Posts
    Feedback
    1   (100%)

You might have some residual old oil left in the tube.
    You could loosen the drain plug and let a few drips land on a paper towel. black-bad, tan-good.
    <br />95 GT.&nbsp;Bright Blue. Eibach lowered, Koni adj. shocks and struts, Steeda c/c plates, Steeda adj.upper rear control arms, sub frame connectors, 4:10's, alumnium drive shaft, BBK shorty headers, Bassani catted X-pipe, Pypes violator cat back, smoked H/L with 4500 duel beam&3 HID's, tri-ax shifter. bone stock motor.(for now) wheels-DD staggered anthracite bullets 315/40-17 rear, 255/45-17 front. 98 cobra hood

SN95 Supporting Member
    Badges
    SN95 Supporting Member Year 2006 OG 5000+ Forum Posts
    Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by DESERTCOX05
    You could loosen the drain plug and let a few drips land on a paper towel. black-bad, tan-good.
    thats what i would do.

everytime i change my oil, it looks fresh. ive never had black oil on my dipstick after a oil change.
    Fully forged rebuilt &#39;99 block - IMRC delete - LT and o/r h - stage 3 clutch - alum DS/flywheel - CAI - tune - ask for more mods<br /><br />

SN95 Supporting Member Marvin97's Avatar
    Badges
    SN95 Supporting Member  
    Feedback
    1   (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by [TxCobrA98
    ]
    Quote Originally Posted by DESERTCOX05
    thats what i would do.

everytime i change my oil, it looks fresh. ive never had black oil on my dipstick after a oil change.
    same here. even after 3k miles its not black by an means

Badges

Feedback

aight its dark tan on the dipstick, im just checkin to make sure thanks for all the input everyone, next oilchange will be by me
    <br /><br /><br />93 notch-its stock i swear..<br />03 accord-v6,6spd<br />93lx 2.3 vert-sold<br />00gt-sold<br />98gt-atlantic blue- RIP death by old lady, on its way to becoming a racecar<br />87lx 5.0 vert-red fassssst... sold<br />98gt-black- RIP death by parking lot

Badges

Feedback

Some engines have extra containaments sitting in their oil passages... I've changed the oil on some saturns and afterwards the oil is
    as black as a NAACP meeting...

WOW!!!!!!!

Badges
    Year 2006 OG 500+ Forum Reputation 5000+ Forum Posts
    Feedback
    3   (100%)

Check the oil on a white paper towel, don't just look at it on the dipstick. After every oil change my oil comes out clean on the dipstick, there's no "residual" old oil and my oil doesn't look dark. Coulda got scammed.
    óRyan
    December '09 RotM____2.2L KB w/Flowzilla - AFR 165's - Steeda #19 - MM Suspension____"Get Screwed"
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.Woahhh
    Onyx FTW.

Badges
    Site Administrator SN95 Supporting Member 5+ Successful iTrader Deals 500+ Forum Reputation 5000+ Forum Posts
    Feedback
    13   (100%)

some oils add detergants to their product to turn dark as soon as possible. this ensures when you take your car to a shop to get it changed you can tell its brand new, but after 10 miles, its black as night.

you dipstick could also be dirty... buy a chrome one.... chrome adds HP :-) lol

Quote Originally Posted by rz5.0 View Post
    Everything is better when you nuke it