become a supporting member

Badges

Feedback
    Post Thanks / Likes Stats    

gt40 head porting.

well i have some gt40s from a lightning and i want to get more flow out of em for my e303 cam, now ive gone in on heads before and just "smoothed" stuff out but im thinking i want to gasket match these, is there anything i need to know? what works best? any specific areas that need "massaging" more than others? thnx guys i cant afford to have these done at a head shop and i want to gain some porting experience, ive done polishing and smoothing on 351w's and it seemed to help a little.

95 [used to be v6], fresh 306, speed pro pistons, e303, edel performer intake, edel carb, gt40 heads, scorpion 1.6 roller rockers, arp 7/16 screw in studs [drilled heads] trick flow valve covers=] bbk headers, 2.5 in, flowmaster 40s, mach 460 system, 2000 gt rims, some other junk...

Badges

Feedback
    1   (100%)

Re: gt40 head porting.

I have a guy that can pull crazy numbers out of GT40 heads.

If you want, I can PM his number to you.
    GT40 / AFR 165 / 2031 / Built AODE etc. - SOLD 11/5/11

2002 JA Regal GS

MPS 3.5" Pulley, 180* Thermostat, SLP Ceramic Coated Headers, SLP Triple Reinforced Flex, U-bend delete, 3" Downpipe, SLP PowerFlo 2 1/2" Dual Catback, GMPP Suspension Kit, Poly Upper Mounts, 12" Brake Upgrade, Creature HPTune

Badges

Feedback

awesome, please do! where is the guy located? ill get a qoute im about to practice a little on some junk e7s tonight in my bedroom lol like i said id kindof like to get experience in this type of stuff cause im 19 and want to become a guru lol i heard thumper performance does a hell of a trick to some gt40s tho!
    95 [used to be v6], fresh 306, speed pro pistons, e303, edel performer intake, edel carb, gt40 heads, scorpion 1.6 roller rockers, arp 7/16 screw in studs [drilled heads] trick flow valve covers=] bbk headers, 2.5 in, flowmaster 40s, mach 460 system, 2000 gt rims, some other junk...

Badges

Feedback

do my questions just suck, am i mentally deficient or do i not get replies cause im new....

Badges

Feedback

the girl in your avatar is hot. but otherwise I have no useful input on this subject.

1996 Mustang gt: Pi intake swap, 3:73 gears, intrax lowering springs(bleh),Pro 5.0 short shifter, bbk fwa, frpp alum quadrant, v-force mufflers. kyb gr2 strut/shock

Badges

Feedback

ugh verry few people have useful input on this site, or maybe i should already know where water jackets on a gt40 head are because i was programmed with its schematic from birth like everyone else...

Badges

Feedback

If I were you I would pull the valves out if they aren't already and try to clean up the bowles (the area on top of the valve that bends into the intake and exhaust runners) These areas should just need some smoothing around the guides and nothing major other that cleaning. To gasket (port match) you need to decide what needs more taken off...head or lower intake or exhaust. For example: I port matched a trick flow track heat intake to my aluminum GT40X based heads. The trick flow had a much larger port so I matched the shape by taking material off of the heads. It is easiest if you get a good gasket that is just larger than both the intake manifold and head port and match to it. Set the head on the block with head gasket in place and get the intake gasket to where you want it and use a scribe to trace the port and be able to see where material needs to be taken off....don't get too carried away to keep away from water jackets. If needed, try to match the same gasket to the manifold to make a seamless transition for the air to pass through. Without taking the heads to a professional porter....that is all I would recomend doing. If the budget allows I would get the heads milled if needed, valve job and some good valve springs and seals snce you are putting a new cam in. Hope that helped good luck

Badges

Feedback

thankk you verry much man thats exactly what i was looking for, to learn where to message the head the most. anyone know how much cfm slightly polished/cleaned up gt40s should flow? how much hp over e7s should i be expecting... 20..?30?

Badges

Feedback

I have used this guy before and he knows his stuff, just follow the link and you will know what to do. He sells gt40 stuff all the time and does porting and all kinds of other tricks to really make some bada$$ numbers!

Badges
    5+ Successful iTrader Deals 5000+ Forum Posts
    Feedback
    8   (100%)

what ever you do upgrade your valve springs
    95gt convertible

98 cobra
    Quote Originally Posted by MustangChris
    thats totally what im in to!i got your avatar tattooed on me... now waht am i gunna do? I LOVE YOU RZ!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MustangChris View Post
    I could kiss you.

Badges

Feedback

dont do anything man, honestly.. I have beat this dead horse to a pulp both with experience and with help from some of the most knowledgeable sbf engine builders in the nation over on sbftech

if you wanna do something have a 5 angle done on the valves and if your machinist is like mine you wont need to touch the bowls any further. that and get a decent valve spring and some crane roller rockers. end of story.

jay allen was able to crank off a bottom 11 pass on un ported gt40s, the camshaft was very experimental to say the least and he was running a box with 90mm tb

my advice, save for a set of TFS FAC 190s and have bullet or camshaft innovations do a cam for ya, but dont waste any money on these gt40s

Badges

Feedback

for reference my 84 GT trapped 117 with a set of unported p heads and an x cam with vic jr intake

Badges

Feedback

my input is contact powerheads.com the owner cnc ports stock heads for stock class racing where e7 heads are a must..no one knows more than he does..i roll powerheads and love em..i got a buddt in the deep 11s on e7s ,ported cobra intake, 311ci motor,no accessories aside from alternator,and a built t5..430 gears..clicks 11.01...my fat street beast wont ever see that cause he launches at 6000 off a msd dig7 box.any who contact powerheads.